Hammer Strap

/ Hammer Strap #11  
Ok, seen them, but did not know what they are for. So,,, what's it purpose? Honestly want a real answer.

/ Hammer Strap #12  
Weld a receiver on the drawbar and use a hammer strap insert.

[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=hammer+strap&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjknszGi6_iAhVGnFkKHXdzD-EQ_AUoAXoECAsQAQ&biw=1024&bih=671&dpr=2#imgrc=fKaYjX4MWpLBtM[/video]

/ Hammer Strap #14  
Take an old lift arm drawbar (already has holes in it) cut it up stack a couple shorter pieces under it and your good.

/ Hammer Strap
Thanks for the ideas. I had no idea what this was called until I needed one and started looking into it.

/ Hammer Strap #16  
See post #8 that is a real answer

I've not seen that on tractor implement before but it is what's on my grass sweeper. I had to put bushings on the top and bottom side to keep the tongue from riding up and down.

/ Hammer Strap #17  
Take an old lift arm drawbar (already has holes in it) cut it up stack a couple shorter pieces under it and your good.

I would think about other options for a roller. I purchased a hammer strap because I had some equipment which I thought would work better with pintle hitch, but decided against it. I kept the hammer strap on because I figured it would 'be there' if I needed it. It just got in the way of everything. A very expensive hammer strap now sits on the shelf.

I know you are stuck on that specific roller, but I'd look for one elsewhere.

If you are still set on fabbing one, I'd do as PMSMechanic said and cut and stack a drawbar. The thing is, you have to have some pretty strong material for both the elevation and the connection. If it is too light, your pin will torque and you will have more problems than you have now.

I've never really understood why they build implements requiring hammer straps. They tend to be big pieces for BIG machines. Similar to the benefit of pintle connections on heavy equipment trailers.

I even looked into fabbing a pintle connector which would slip over my drawbar which I could then pin in place. Everything was expensive and almost a 'one time use' type thing.

I'm sure others have had better use and luck with them. But for me, they were just pains. Have to remove to use PTO. etc etc etc.

/ Hammer Strap #18  
I've built two. I didn't want them to be permanent. I have two drawbars for the Kubota so I never unbolt it. I only have one drawbar for the Ford so install/remove the Hammer Strap as needed.

I also wanted the bolts to do no more than handle the straight pull. Didn't want them to be responsible for keeping the strap straight on the drawbar. So I built the sides with a lip that extends down the side of the drawbar 1/4" on each side. This keeps the strap straight.

I have a clam shell 5yd scraper with a pintle hitch. That's the implement that needs the Hammer Strap.

Don't feel bad guys I didn't know what one was either by name. I had saw them for years on large AG tractors. I have often wondered how the name came about. Nothing about this thing reminds me of a hammer??? :confused3:

20190522_074753.jpg

20190522_074807.jpg

20190522_074817.jpg

20190522_074914.jpg

20190522_074922.jpg

20190522_074931.jpg

/ Hammer Strap #19  
   / Hammer Strap #20  
Ok, seen them, but did not know what they are for. So,,, what's it purpose? Honestly want a real answer.

Go back to post #8 and study Bruce's excellent drawings for more than a couple seconds and you'll figure it out. Either the tractor or the implement must have a clevis type hitch.