Handgun Advice

/ Handgun Advice #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Personally, I like the venerable old 45acp in either a 1911a1 or a Glock 21/30. )</font>

He's talking about shooting 4 legged critters, not two legged!

I'm a 1911 fan too, but you have to match the tool to the job.

/ Handgun Advice #12  
One more thing, I dont know how you feel about recoil.. But I should also mention my .454Cassul.. It can be fired with a variety of rounds in .454 and .45Long.. You can find a load that is comfotrable for you and it will take just about any game out there.. I took two deer with it the first year hunting with it.. I love that gun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. Its a Super Redhawk with 7-5/8"bbl and Leupold scope in target grey..

Something else to think about with the grips, if you dont like them on any gun, you can replace them with something more comfortable to your hands.. My .41Mag Blackhawk has a 4-5/8bbl and is not really a joy to shoot unless your used to it.. I put Pachmires(?) on it and its really manageable now..

/ Handgun Advice #13  
Most under rated handgun caliber in my opinion is the 10mm.

My woods/truck handgun is the Glock 20 (10mm).

You can get a .22 conversion (sp?) kit for the Glock.

You can go and get a variety of "match" barrels for the Glock wich will have nothing but a positive effect on the accuracy and ballistics.

And since you reload, you can go from 135grs up to 230grs varrying in velocity that I'm sure would surprise you.

"More" than enough for deer and other four legged animals found on the East Coast (all across the U.S for two legged animals).

Yes, a .44 will have more umph, but again for the sheer variety of rounds available, one of the best rounds out there.

15 rounds in the mag doesn't hurt as well (careful on hunting laws).

Great gun as well for the round, although I did have the grip modified so it would fit my small hands better.

/ Handgun Advice #14  
Sig,
I've heard that before.. Never shot one myself, but I understand its the auto equivelant of the .357, is that correct in your opinion? For hunting I prefer a revolver, but the 10mm could be a very good choice too.. What model Glock would you recomend?

/ Handgun Advice #15  
My philosophy when it comes to handguns is to match the gun to the purpose. There are few guns that will work for plinking (economy of ammo), concealed carry (small and light) and hunting (terminal ballistics).

I think you're on the right track with finding a nice 22 for plinking. For hunting and packing in the woods, you might want to consider this one Taurus raging bull
or this one Taurus Tracker I don't think I'd hunt deer with anything less than 44 mag (IMO). I know smaller rounds will work, but it's just my choice. Loaded with 180 gr premium bullets and you're good for just about everything. As others noted, load up some 44 special for practicing. I have a large frame taurus 44 revolver (8 3/8" barrel) for hunting, I also have a 44 lever action rifle that I use for plinking, coyotes, hogs, etc. I really like the combination.

Both of the Taurus models I attached are stainless and ported. The porting will help to make the recoil manageable. IMO, the Taurus revolers are one of the best bargains out there.

/ Handgun Advice #16  
HGM

I'd go for the auto equivelant of a .41 mag, more umph than a .357.

You would be surprised on what you can push out on that 10 with different loads.

For myself as mentioned, have a G20, but sent the gun to Robar in Arizona for a grip reduction due to my small hands. You can pick up a 6" barrel for the G20 as well if you'd like for hunting (have a buddy who hunts hogs with his, standard barrel though).

Funny thing is up until a couple of years ago, never came across the 10mm, did some reseach, talked to a couple of people, and am convinced it's one of the best "all around" rounds to have.

The 10 from my understanding was supposed to be used by the FBI, but then you had some recoil issues with people handling the gun. Honestly, with a hot load, has a little snap, nothing bad at all (can usually put all 15 rounds in a pie plate at 25 yards under 6 seconds).

Then when the 10 "failed" for the FBI, necked down the cartridge, and low and behold, the .40 was born.

People either tend to love or hate the Glock.

Kimber has a nice 10mm that I've seen, but never shot. Heard that it is supposed to be sweet. Have a Kimber Ultra Eclipse in a 3" barrel for cc and it is by far one of the best shooting .45's I've ever owned, so I can believe that 10 must be real nice.

Figure it I want a woods gun, that glock has more than enough power, and weight is not bad with 30rds, and not to get into a heated debate, but if I were to have a semi auto that I may drag in the mud or drop in water and overall "give it some abuse" it's either going to be a Glock, Beretta or Sig.

Sorry to say, those last two as far as I know, don't have a handgun chambered for a 10.

/ Handgun Advice #17  
Sig:
I agree with you on the Glock 20 and the 10 mm auto. A great combo. I like the Glock autos so have a model 19/9 mm for my wife.

In revolvers I like Ruger single actions: have a very old .357 Blackhawk and a more recent Blackhawk with interchangeable .38-40 and 10 mm cylinders. This pairs up nicely with my Winchester 1892 (octagon barrel) .38-40 rifle.

Vernon

/ Handgun Advice #18  
Will,

If I understand you correctly, you want a sidearm for taking into the woods without having to carry around a rifle. Something that is close and handy, but not big and awkward.

I personally have a Ruger Super Blackhawk single action in .44mag with a 12 inch barrel. I carry it in a soft sided case and can put it in any of my tractors, or when I used to have a fourwheeler, on that too.

If I'm walking around, I prefer my rifle. I've never understood the desire to carry a piston AND a rifle. Friends do it, but there reasoning is that they figure a bear or wild animal will attack them someday and they will need the extra firepower. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It makes them feel better, so I keep my jokes to myself. It's fun to watch them though.

I've shot two hogs with the .44 and one with a .357 with poor results. Compared to my .30-06, they are way underpowered. One hog was small and the .44 droped it fine, but the other two were close to 200 pounds. That's an honest weight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The first time I had my .357 with me and shot it 4 times in the head and two in the chest. The head shots were a mistake, but he was only ten yards away. The chest shots were both killers, but the hog was already pissed from the head shots and the adrenaline kept him going.

The other hog was closer to 20 yards in thick brush and looking straight at me. I used the .44mag and put two rounds into her. She spun around and went about a hundred yards into a nightmare of jungle. Big mistake on my part. That was about as bad as it gets pulling an animal out. If I'd used my rifle, it would have been dead in it's tracks.

Of course, I was off goofing off and those were hogs that just happened to show themeselves while I had the pistol with me. The .357 is retired to home defense. I'lll never take it out into the field again. It's also fine for plinking with .38's and light enough for anybody to shoot.

I've shot squirels and rabbits with the .44 and it's way too much gun for them. Nothing left of them, even with a head shot, the bodies are mangled.

I really think for a fun caliber to carry around while hiking, I'd stick with the .22

I have a Ruger Mark II .22 pistol that is just about as much fun shooting a pistol as you can find. It was only a little over a hundred bucks 20 years ago when I bought it, and it's been super reliable ever since. I don't clean it as often as I should, but it keeps of working. Kids and women enjoy it and nobody is ever afraid of shooting it.

It's allot of fun to carry into the woods for some small game hunting. I've shot quail, squirrels, rabbits and coyotes with it. The barrel is a good length for performance and with some good sights, you can do wonders with accuracy.

In my opinion, it's the best deal out there!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eddie

/ Handgun Advice #19  
How hard is it to get a handgun permit in NY? I have a permit to carry in PA but at some point we will be moving to NY, just wondering. Thanks.

/ Handgun Advice #20  
Will_C

Another .22 to look at is Sigarms Trailside.
I have S&W 22A - mainly because it was cheap - about a brick in a month and I am quite happy with it.
I used to have Taurus 357 with 6" barrel - but would go with Ruger GP100 now. Played with it with a buddy of mine and it is a pleasure to shoot.