Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#1,811  
...........On a side note, my HF store will not let you look at something in the locked cabinet if you are not sure you want to buy it...:confused:

I suspect this is not store policy, but just a lazy employee. At the HF that I frequent they are more than willing to show you anything in the locked cabinets. If you decide to buy, half the time they just hand it to you, the other half they take it directly to the checkout.

Maybe the difference is which days I have shaved. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,812  

If you shave before going into HF you will stand out as an outsider and the staff will think you're stuck up. If you look too ragged they wonder too. I get better service when I blend in. 30 hours post shave on a Saturday afternoon works just fine! :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,813  
I suspect this is not store policy, but just a lazy employee. At the HF that I frequent they are more than willing to show you anything in the locked cabinets. If you decide to buy, half the time they just hand it to you, the other half they take it directly to the checkout.

It is not a store policy. The guy handed me everything I asked to see. He said people were stealing them blind the items now in protective cases.

In fact if I go in with a list of item numbers they will pull and bring them to me without my asking while I am looking at something they just showed me where it is located.

PS. I think most of the time I have shaved. I know I have on the Sunday afternoon trips. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,814  
We are doing a new place for horses and need to measure a bunch of areas and do some fence layout. In the past I have used a measuring wheel, but no longer have access to it.
I thought I would try their 330 foot tape so I could measure, establish straight lines and post spacing at the same time.
It is VERY light duty, but works well. I could recommend it for "occasional" use.

PS: On sale with coupon, it was $10.39...and I got a free 25' tape measure with it!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,815  
.....I thought I would try their 330 foot tape so I could measure, establish straight lines and post spacing at the same time.
It is VERY light duty, but works well. I could recommend it for "occasional" use....

I'll second this on the 330 ft tape. Mine has been used fairly regular for maybe 10 years around the farm and has held up well. I believe there are two versions on this tape--one light and one heavier. Mine is on a hand held roll-up thing adn is a coated cloth type thing.

On the staff pulling numbers for you, I often have my wife pick up a sale item since the fabric store is right next door. She hands them a list, they bring the stuff out and never even one mistake.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,817  
I thought I would try their 330 foot tape so I could measure, establish straight lines and post spacing at the same time.
It is VERY light duty, but works well. I could recommend it for "occasional" use.
I'll second this on the 330 ft tape.
Likewise. (I have the tape on a red reel with a crank handle.)

My orchard is ancient, trees fall down every winter. To plant new trees I stretch that 330 ft tape out at least 200 ft and walk it back and forth until the oldest trees (never replaced) hit on even 20ft or 15ft intervals. This reveals where to set my new tree precisely on-grid if its nearest neighbors are inaccurate. (It's a nightmare to cross-disc where the grid isn't true!)

Once I marked my boundaries with it. Pulling enough tension to lift the tape off the ground gave several inches of stretch. I eyeballed tape stretch vs elevation gain across the orchard then set monuments along the line between me and the grading for a new vineyard next door. They had crushed one of my trees when they backed a crawler over it so I wanted my line to be unmistakable. When they eventually sent out a surveyor to layout their vineyard rows I found the far end of my informal line was a foot or so inside my true boundary, good enough for my purpose but not surveyor-quality work.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1,820  
We can use 20% off on the jack stands?

I saw the sale on the jack stands and noted the price then saw a pile of them in a corner (the same stands) in scruffy looking boxes that looked to have been wet. They were marked $15 so I got a set.

Pat