Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,781  
I was at a HF store a month ago with my 25% off coupon from Rural Missourian. I was annoyed when the guy ahead of me said "oops, I left my 20% off coupon at home". Cashier said no problem and scanned a 25% off one she had received earlier. :mad:
If I was the guy ahead of you, I would have been thankful. I always take extra coupons and give them to the other people in line. It costs me nothing and they are appreciative.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,782  
I like the 20% across the board couple but I buy too much with it. :)

A few years I picked up the set of drill bits covering over 1/2 inch to one inch in size today hanging gates off the barn. They came in a wooden box and where awesome making 3/4 inch holes through a 4x4 and the outer and inter walls. We started with a long quarter inch drill bit to make a straight pilot hole. That set up to 1 inch was cheap in my mind but worked fine in soft wood. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,783  
I like the 20% across the board couple but I buy too much with it. :)

A few years I picked up the set of drill bits covering over 1/2 inch to one inch in size today hanging gates off the barn. They came in a wooden box and where awesome making 3/4 inch holes through a 4x4 and the outer and inter walls. We started with a long quarter inch drill bit to make a straight pilot hole. That set up to 1 inch was cheap in my mind but worked fine in soft wood. :)

Now that you mention it, I have a set of those bits that seem to have unusually good steel. In metal I drill drill pilot and larger holes first and use these large diameter bits to finish off to my dimension. I use as drill press with cutting oil and take it easy but these bits have worked well for a couple years. I keep waiting for them to break or dull but so far it's been fine. In wood they are excellent.

I don't want to give them an all-clear just yet because the quality of things can vary widely, but these could become a best buy for me.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,784  
newbury said:
And it's weird, every one and a while it seems all I have are "lefties".

I'm right handed and always seem to go through my lefties faster. All I end up with is a ton of right handed. Weird.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,785  
I'm right handed and ... seem to go through my lefties faster. All I end up with is a ton of right handed. Weird.
You can even buy them that way. Buyer beware.

I had a coupon for five pair of HF's cowhide gloves. Just to be courteous I included some that were taped in pairs, new, but with the original label missing. Months later when got down to opening a taped pair .... both left gloves. Bah. Back for an exchange. I've seen 'some assembly required' on a lot of their stuff but this is ridiculous. :p

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,786  
One thing I forgot to mention, I have one Battery Tender on my lawn mower and another on my 3 wheel cart's two 12v batteries. None of them batteries have shown any corrosion on cable ends or battery posts since I have been using them. That's 6 years on the 3 wheeler and 2 years on the mower. I figure the one on my 3 wheeler has saved me at least $40 each x 2 batteries x 6 years = $480.00 - $40.00 for the Battery Tender. or $440.00. I bought 2 more of them for my grandkid's mowers last fall and they have already paid for themselves.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,787  
One thing I forgot to mention, I have one Battery Tender on my lawn mower and another on my 3 wheel cart's two 12v batteries. None of them batteries have shown any corrosion on cable ends or battery posts since I have been using them. That's 6 years on the 3 wheeler and 2 years on the mower. I figure the one on my 3 wheeler has saved me at least $40 each x 2 batteries x 6 years = $480.00 - $40.00 for the Battery Tender. or $440.00. I bought 2 more of them for my grandkid's mowers last fall and they have already paid for themselves.
The HF ones might be fine if you keep the water in the batteries checked. Any battery on any trickle charger might loose some water and a dry battery is a dead battery.
I don't have any of the HF one, I got mine from Walmart and they are (or seem to be) better quality but they run from 20 to 30 bucks each.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,788  
I keep thinking about those battery tenders, but I picked up a Peak 3 stage 'smart' charger for $20 at Menards awhile back and just use that about once a month to keep the batts topped off.. Litle more work, but I know it wont overcharge.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,789  
I don't have a battery tender but I do charge my batteries with a modern electronic charger as the last thing I do each fall and have had excellent results. Some of my batteries are seven or eight years old and I have to check myself to believe it. A full charge going into or during winter must really help the battery.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,790  
Charged batts dont freeze.. Run down batts are hard on the batt itself, and they freeze.