Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,902  
For that price what do you got to lose?

I agree...I thought about it and read the reviews , watched the video...I'm going to buy it...like you say...nothing to lose...If it breaks right away...I'll get my money back...If it breaks after the warranty period...by that time I will have gotten my moneys worth..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,903  
I was hoping, based on comments on here, that the little 900w 2-cycle generator would be a "don't suck", but now having had one for 6 months, I'm not too sure! I have used non-ethanol, fresh fuel in it exclusively, but it is almost impossible to start. If I remove the air cleaner cover and drizzle in a bit of fuel, it kicks right off. I shut off the fuel valve and run the carb dry whenever I am done using it. It seems to run ok after it starts. Maybe a little lean. So I'm suspecting something wrong in the choke/low speed carb circuit, or it may be that the fuel on/off valve is so restricted that it takes a long time to slowly drizzle a bowl full. Guess it's going back for a trade-in on another.

- Jay

Did you change the plug on it? I've heard that the original plug isn't very good and if you change out to the Champion version, it runs much better. Also, I'd recommend synthetic 2 cycle oil, mixed 50:1 (the Polaris smells a lot better than most), and would NOT recommend emptying out the gas / running it dry as that can cause the carbs to dry out. New recommendation from Stihl is to leave gas in and keep it full.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,904  
... and would NOT recommend emptying out the gas / running it dry as that can cause the carbs to dry out. New recommendation from Stihl is to leave gas in and keep it full.

Which is the best way I have found, years ago... No 'Stabil' used here nor do I run it dry.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,905  
Which is the best way I have found, years ago... No 'Stabil' used here nor do I run it dry.

Is that only for chainsaws? Or do you do that with all small engines? I thought running small engines dry at the end of there season was the best thing to do. Is that actually a mistake?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,906  
Is that only for chainsaws? Or do you do that with all small engines? I thought running small engines dry at the end of there season was the best thing to do. Is that actually a mistake?

All my engines.. I did Stabil and the run dry thing at first and ALWAYS had problems the next year. After just leaving it in I have very few. Once in a while I have to pull a bowl and spray a little carb cleaner, but no other problems.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,907  
All my engines.. I did Stabil and the run dry thing at first and ALWAYS had problems the next year. After just leaving it in I have very few. Once in a while I have to pull a bowl and spray a little carb cleaner, but no other problems.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. With no additive and the running dry thing, I have had zero problems. So I'll stick with that. Other than air filters and oil changes, where applicable, I have had zero issues with small engines.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,908  
I shut off the fuel and run the carbs dry on all my engines. ZERO problems.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. With no additive and the running dry thing, I have had zero problems. So I'll stick with that. Other than air filters and oil changes, where applicable, I have had zero issues with small engines.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,909  
We really don't have an "off season" at the ranch, we run everything year round. We don't shut gas off, run dry, on anything and only run some Stabil in the Corvette which gets driven in Houston for 3-4 days a month.

We have very few gasoline engines, a JD Z820A zero turn, Polaris Ranger, and various Echo chains saws, brush cutters, and power blower. Everything else is diesel.

Rick

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,910  
We really don't have an "off season" at the ranch, we run everything year round. We don't shut gas off, run dry, on anything and only run some Stabil in the Corvette which gets driven in Houston for 3-4 days a month.

We have very few gasoline engines, a JD Z820A zero turn, Polaris Ranger, and various Echo chains saws, brush cutters, and power blower. Everything else is diesel.

Rick

Well, you're in Houston. That's kind of like cheating :). I probably wouldn't stop using my mower or tiller or trimmer, etc. And I might never put gas in my snowblower, because...its Houston. :D

I bet they don't pour salt and calcium chloride on the road everyday, either. So your cars look all nice and newish. Yeah. Cheating.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll move to Houston :drink:

Last edited: