Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,931  
There does appear to be a restocking fee on items that are returned for no reason but this fee apparently does not apply to items replaced that are defective or exchanged. I searched this and it appears to be somewhat in flux since some stores apparently charged this fee while others did not. The main corporate site only mentions a return fee on generators.

Beats me. I have always avoided the high risk items like anything electrical. On tools I would just have things replaced if they broke. As long as any fee is restricted to items flat out returned, I am OK with it. Any wider than that or applied to defective stuff, which there is a lot of, is a game changer.

As I mentioned in an earlier post #3895, I have seen many of the same tools that HF sells for less or the same money elsewhere. Probably a better quality but I'm not sure on that.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,932  
I can see a restocking fee for those that pick up a generator just prior to a storm and return it the day after using the store as an insurance policy. I have seen this a few times at Costco and HF, a day or two after a storm people are lined up returning new unused generators that it turns out they did not need.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,933  
In the past I purchased knowing that the tools are of low quality. And if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this you knew they sold crap that it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax. I will be buying from Home Depot from now on. I'm boycotting Harbor Fright until they remove this policy. I hope you do also.

Let me add something here. The 20% restocking fee is only printed on the cash register receipt and it was on both stores I went to. There are also people mad about this in the HF product reviews. I talk to both store managers not wanting a refund but in the hypothetical and they both said it was new and actively in use.

I got a $250 - 50 Ft. Compact Electric Drain Cleaner plus $49 for extended warranty and the motor quit working after 3 minutes under no load. The motor just hummed. I went back same day and wanted another one but they were out. If I wanted my money back it was fifty bucks for restocking fee. It fifty miles to my HF. I called the HF in a different city and they had one. I went there to exchange it, same day. 150 to the other store and back home. This one lasted about twenty minutes before the foot switch lost its air and quit working. I read the manual and it states if the foot switch quit working replace. Called HF and there is no replacement part. Back to harbor fright. Asked again if I could get a refund. Sure, with a restocking fee. I was irate! Got my third unit and went home. At least they have to replace it since I have the extended warranty.

This seems to be a Harbor Freight store policy not a web site policy. I asked the store manager if the online had the same policy and he said he did not know, and that the stores and the online split years ago. But he had to be lying because stores take back the online items so he must know.

I called the online HF and they said they have no such restocking fee its only the retail stores.
So look at your receipt next time you buy something.
They did say it was to stop the renter as they put it. But that's not fair to us that buy a piece of junk.
They also told me the only reason there was no restocking fee for the exchange was because I bought the extended warranty, I did not under stand this because I returned it the same day I bought it.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,934  
I also have returned things. But as I said is a NEW POLICY! A really bad one. And it looks like its only the retail stores.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,935  
No. I went to two different stores in two different city's. Salem, Oregon and Eugene Oregon. And and told both I would not be buying there any more.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,936  
I told them plug it in and try it. It does not work but they did not care. see post #3933

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,937  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,938  
I dont see how they could charge you for something that was bad right out of the box.I know Id use a credit card and then I could contest the charges long enough to where I could file a case against them .
Let me add something here. The 20% restocking fee is only printed on the cash register receipt and it was on both stores I went to. There are also people mad about this in the HF product reviews. I talk to both store managers not wanting a refund but in the hypothetical and they both said it was new and actively in use.

I got a $250 - 50 Ft. Compact Electric Drain Cleaner plus $49 for extended warranty and the motor quit working after 3 minutes under no load. The motor just hummed. I went back same day and wanted another one but they were out. If I wanted my money back it was fifty bucks for restocking fee. It fifty miles to my HF. I called the HF in a different city and they had one. I went there to exchange it, same day. 150 to the other store and back home. This one lasted about twenty minutes before the foot switch lost its air and quit working. I read the manual and it states if the foot switch quit working replace. Called HF and there is no replacement part. Back to harbor fright. Asked again if I could get a refund. Sure, with a restocking fee. I was irate! Got my third unit and went home. At least they have to replace it since I have the extended warranty.

This seems to be a Harbor Freight store policy not a web site policy. I asked the store manager if the online had the same policy and he said he did not know, and that the stores and the online split years ago. But he had to be lying because stores take back the online items so he must know.

I called the online HF and they said they have no such restocking fee its only the retail stores.
They did say it was to stop the renter as they put it. But that's not fair to us that buy a piece of junk.
They also told me the only reason there was no restocking fee for the exchange was because I bought the extended warranty, I did not under stand this because I returned it the same day I bought it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,939  
I know. There are no signs any where showing the restocking fee. But they do put it on the recite. And I never look at the recite. But when you want to return the item there it is in black and white. You lose. With all the driving, gas and hassles I may have been able to buy one at Home depot.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,940  

So, only if you wanted to return it then? Ok.. seems fairly fair.. But, the problem would be with it being broken then returned. But, then, i could see people 'renting' it as they said and mis-treating it then trying to return it. In fact, happens all the time.

As for you not getting the fee for an exchange, thats just normal. Whoever told you it was 'cause of the extended warranty was wrong.. unless it was past its original warranty.