Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,181  
I know :( I have to cover the front porch and do gutters on the house for the wife before I go back to collecting tools that do not put food on the table again. Should have that done in the next few weeks. I keep bouncing back and forth over this 7x12 and the 7x12 from Grizzly. I had several Grizzly machines in the past, for what they were they did very well for a very good price.

Mini Lathe Comparison - LittleMachineShop.com

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,182  
QFT, QFT....

I keep looking at their mills and lathes. I want a mill and metal lathe but do not want to spend a small fortune for an occasional use item. I have a friend who swears by them but he is a retired machinist, he bought them and used them to remake a third of the parts on them and also make a bunch of additional pieces. He claims they are now super accurate high end machines....

I do not have the skill nor the patience to fight one of them while using it to make parts to make it better. I might still give in one day and buy one, or both, or the small combination one.

Something to remember:

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,183  
Something to remember:

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Benjamin Franklin
So true... especially if you use the tool often. Otherwise, it might make sense to buy 'cheap' for the rare job and depending on what you expect as results. I buy quality and pay the premium most of the time, but certain items I just can't justify it and the savings allows me to buy another speciality tool.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,184  
Something to remember:

Wasn't he the same guy that hung a key on a kite, then flew it in a lighting storm? I'll bet he said "Hold my beer and watch this." to Samuel Adams. Adams took a swig, thought it was O.K. but a little hoppy, and he could improve it, and that's how Sam Adam's brewery came to be.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,185  
Wasn't he the same guy that hung a key on a kite, then flew it in a lighting storm? I'll bet he said "Hold my beer and watch this." to Samuel Adams. Adams took a swig, thought it was O.K. but a little hoppy, and he could improve it, and that's how Sam Adam's brewery came to be.
Funny... Cheers!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,186  
Me , I never have enough of screwdrivers.

I have lots of screwdrivers. Of course it's the ones you rarely use. The common ones, like the #2 philips are always in short supply.

On a side note I have about 2 dozen Stanley 25' tape measures. A few years back the Stanley tape measures at Lowes had a spend $60 get $10 off coupon on the back. Since I was building my garage and was spending $60 almost daily I would pop in and get a free tape. Gave a few away as gifts but I have them all over the place in the house and garage.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,187  
You can never have too many screwdrivers, or adjustable (crescent) wrenches.....

You would think that most of a lifetime of turning wrenches would make me one of those that despises adjustable wrenches (redneck speed wrench) but they are super useful :) I have always carried two in my tech bag (6" and 10"). I do carry two sets of gear wrench style wrenches as well, metric and standard. But nothing beats a good redneck speed wrench when you need it. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,188  
The tools I need are screwdrivers #2 and adjustable wrenches those I never have enough. Well I have to go back to H.F to get a few things I did one day I have to replace the ball joints on my pick up w hole there I'll pick up some hand tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,189  
That reminds me - I have a "Pittsburgh" (HF) 15" adjustable wrench in the tractor "toolbox" dedicated for adjusting the top link. 15" Jumbo Adjustable Wrench

Due to the poor conditions, it is all rusty and terrible looking, but works great! I give the adjustment nut and sliding jaw a shot of Fluid Film occasionally to keep it limber.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,190  
I have several of the Engineer's and Drilling hammers in the 2 or 3 lb range. The Drilling hammers get grabbed the most, and are my 'go-to' tool more than anything in the barn. Handy little buggers.