Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,171  
I also am a fan of their bright orange dead blows. Like many of my HF tools I've several (6?) and occasionally they all get together :) but usually they are spread out between several shops and vehicles. I'm surprised they are all still intact because I think some of them are over 10 years old.

Same, I think the only one I ever broke was me being a doofus, knowing I should have used the Harbor Freight brass hammer but did not want to walk across the shop and get it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,172  
Here's an update on the dead blow hammers I mentioned probably 400 pages ago. I liked it but it had some sort of fungus looking stuff on it and I was afraid to use it without rubber gloves. Anyway, that fungus went away with use and since my original "don't suck" rating they came out with much heavier versions that perform very well. They are a must have for the homeowner, farmer or whatever.

Search results for: 'dead blow hammer'

I have found tons of uses for the angle-headed (I think it's actually called a cross-peen) deadblow hammer.

Because of the plastic that it's encased in, it's good for use on anything that you don't want to mar, so for instance, I use it to get my rims and tires off when they get stuck on by the salt residue we're left with after a NY winter (or maybe it's that? di-electric? Aluminum to Steel bonding/? welding that happens w/ saline exposure).

I use it so often that I'm looking to buy another flat faced one when I get a good sale I can use along with my 20% off coupon.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,173  
I've bought a lot of HF tools over the years, mostly hand tools. I've also been razzed by many people for the mere mention of their name ("tools for city folk," as the wife's uncle calls them). But, they have a lifetime warranty, and I have yet to break any of their tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,174  
I have found tons of uses for the angle-headed (I think it's actually called a cross-peen) deadblow hammer.

Did this cross-peen deadblow hammer come from Harbor Freight? It sounds like something I should have. A man can never have too many hammers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,175  
Confessions ... I had a yard sale this weekend and offed a few HF items I bought on impulse then used maybe once.

A polisher, similar to a 7" angle grinder, I bought in 2001 and used once. Near-new, still in its original box where it has cluttered my tool storage for 15 years.

The underpowered air impact wrench I mentioned above in this thread (no longer sold), likely a 3/8 tool with a 1/2" nose mounted to make it look more powerful. ( I bought an Earthquake recently).

The air chisel gun I bought long ago and never used once.

The 3" air abrasive cutter. My HF compressor is rated to power this, but it doesn't.

The biggest item sold was a blue #94056 (2008?) 90 amp AC "=Mig-100=" flux-core wire welder that looked new because I had soon replaced it with a used Century mig welder of similar rated capability. But the Century is DC, gas-compatible, and has infinitely variable amperage. I hope HF's newer black 90A welders work better than this blue one I sold. Since the black ones are still AC, I wonder if they really are better. At least the Welding Web HF forum is no longer cluttered with "how the heck do I make this thing work properly" so the black ones must be better.

Finally I have space to store within reach the items I bought more recently. I'm trying to avoid the impulse to buy more stuff ... but they keep sending those 20% coupons ... :biggrin:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,176  
Did this cross-peen deadblow hammer come from Harbor Freight? It sounds like something I should have. A man can never have too many hammers.

It did, but it was on clearance, likely because they were discontinuing them, because I have never seen another one there.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,177  
Me , I never have enough of screwdrivers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,178  
Confessions ... but they keep sending those 20% coupons ... :biggrin:

QFT, QFT....

I keep looking at their mills and lathes. I want a mill and metal lathe but do not want to spend a small fortune for an occasional use item. I have a friend who swears by them but he is a retired machinist, he bought them and used them to remake a third of the parts on them and also make a bunch of additional pieces. He claims they are now super accurate high end machines....

I do not have the skill nor the patience to fight one of them while using it to make parts to make it better. I might still give in one day and buy one, or both, or the small combination one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,179  
QFT, QFT....

I keep looking at their mills and lathes. I want a mill and metal lathe but do not want to spend a small fortune for an occasional use item. I have a friend who swears by them but he is a retired machinist, he bought them and used them to remake a third of the parts on them and also make a bunch of additional pieces. He claims they are now super accurate high end machines....

I do not have the skill nor the patience to fight one of them while using it to make parts to make it better. I might still give in one day and buy one, or both, or the small combination one.

The 7x12 is on sale for $599 right now..If you have a 20% off that will work on lathes, thats $479 before tax. There are steel replacement gears and many many sites dedicated to this and other small lathes that show how to improve them and make them more accurate. Looking at getting one myself, but will have to wait until the next sale..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,180  
The 7x12 is on sale for $599 right now..If you have a 20% off that will work on lathes, thats $479 before tax. There are steel replacement gears and many many sites dedicated to this and other small lathes that show how to improve them and make them more accurate. Looking at getting one myself, but will have to wait until the next sale..

I know :( I have to cover the front porch and do gutters on the house for the wife before I go back to collecting tools that do not put food on the table again. Should have that done in the next few weeks. I keep bouncing back and forth over this 7x12 and the 7x12 from Grizzly. I had several Grizzly machines in the past, for what they were they did very well for a very good price.