Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#6,341  
10 Things I Wouldn't Buy from Harbor Freight: 1) Parachutes 2) Fire Extinguishers 3) Pacemakers 4) Vaccines 5) Birth control devices 6) Elevators 7) Bullet proof vests 8) Trigger locks 9) Pitons 10) Scuba Gear I'm sure there are more - these just off the top of my head in a light hearted moment.
Gee, I wonder who posted that eight years ago?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,342  
Some things retain their value more than others...it was a jewell then and still is...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,343  

Ha! When you mentioned parachute and Harbor Freight, I googled "Harbor Freight parachute" and that old article at tool crib popped up. Didn't know you posted it here back then, too. As mentioned, its timeless. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,344  

I looked it up and also saw that you are the one who started this thread. Congrats on a great thread that has caused me to spend more $$ than I would like at HF but has also saved me from some turkeys. Thread is eight years old!

Add "beef jerkey" to the list of things not to buy there.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,345  
I wouldn't buy a parachute at HF either. :laughing:

Good advice. :D

I don't buy anything at HF, but a store is next door to a client so I wander in there and look around for a few minutes if I am early for a meeting.

I have to say I am impressed not by quality, but by the marketing, sourcing and the customer traffic they generate.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,346  
That makes two of us....
Okay you're up... I bought the pole saw! I stopped by HF this evening while hauling a trailer and stuff helping my son move into his first purchased house! Wife thought I was crazy but I think she will love this tool (telling me what to prune with it that is!). Sidewalk tent sale going on... walked out with a plier set for my son (house warming gift). Almost bought the airless sprayer for $169. I saw the guy behind me in line with the sprayer... he was drooling over it and I almost impulse bought it but haven't done the research. He said his boss swore by them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,347  
Again ...it may have something to do with shipping/transportation insurance costs of Li batteries above a certain mass or voltage...again just a wild guess...!
But how do Makita, Apple, Sony etc etc do it then? I'm guessing HF could easily charge $10-20 more for an identical tool with modern lithium batteries instead of NiMh. Surely that would pay for shipping/ insurance and then some. I'm still mystified.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,348  
But how do Makita, Apple, Sony etc etc do it then? I'm guessing HF could easily charge $10-20 more for an identical tool with modern lithium batteries instead of NiMh. Surely that would pay for shipping/ insurance and then some. I'm still mystified.
It's all about marketing, pricing, and finding the niche that is sustainable. No doubt when the big brands bring to market their next Gen product via their own R&D, or more likely through acquisitions, HF and the like, will capitalize on the commodity no longer protected by patents.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#6,349  
Good advice. :D

I don't buy anything at HF, but a store is next door to a client so I wander in there and look around for a few minutes if I am early for a meeting.

I have to say I am impressed not by quality, but by the marketing, sourcing and the customer traffic they generate.
Harbor Freight provides value, or they wouldn't be doing so well. Everyone defines a good value differently, so what is a good value for one person may not be a good value for another. I'm a casual user so their stuff is mostly good enough. When quality is premier, like for parachutes, lol, I'll stick with the brand names.