Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,891  
I must have bought the intermediate tap/die sets, SAE and metric. SAE is in a blue steel case. Haven't used Metric for a while so I don't remember the case.

I've used these for cleaning damaged threads, and also for cutting threads in aluminum. No problems so far but they aren't confidence-inspiring. I've noticed the resulting threads seem to be slightly random in diameter, this is apparent when threading a tap into a die from the set. In summary adequate for my occasional farm repairs. I wouldn't try to cut new threads in ferrous material with these.

The cheapest set is I think labelled for use only in plastic and wood.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,892  
They seem to have a cheap version ($15), a kinda cheap version ($37) and a not-so-cheap version ($88). .

I see the bar has been lowered across the board from the old time "Good-Better-Best" ratings :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,893  
I see the bar has been lowered across the board from the old time "Good-Better-Best" ratings :D

I have a hard time labeling ANYTHING from HF as Good, let alone Better or Best. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,894  
Guys, thanks for the quick responses on the tap & die sets. I may spring for the "Not-So-Cheap" set next time I see a sale or have a coupon. My main use would be chasing existing threads, so I suspect it would be fine for that.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,895  
Has anyone used one of the HF tap and die sets?

They seem to have a cheap version ($15), a kinda cheap version ($37) and a not-so-cheap version ($88). Unless you guys confirm that one of the cheaper two is an ok set for occasional use, I'd probably lean toward the $88 one, but don't want to waste money if it's junk.

I've had the 'kinda cheap' version for about 10 years, and use it occasionally. I've used it in everything from plastic to steel with no issues. Just used it last week to tap some holes to mount a tool box on the tractor. It's been very handy, and has saved the day many times.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,896  
I've had the 'kinda cheap' version for about 10 years, and use it occasionally. I've used it in everything from plastic to steel with no issues. Just used it last week to tap some holes to mount a tool box on the tractor. It's been very handy, and has saved the day many times.
I don't remember if mine is the cheap or semi cheap one but I have broken a couple of the small diameter taps on first use (steel).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,897  
I don't remember if mine is the cheap or semi cheap one but I have broken a couple of the small diameter taps on first use (steel).

Same here. I would not buy another set. I know how to use a tap properly, too. I was not cranking hard on it at all. Snap. Junk.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,899  
Same here. I would not buy another set. I know how to use a tap properly, too. I was not cranking hard on it at all. Snap. Junk.

Are you guys using a tap lube? I use Tap Magic or Fluid Film.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,900  
Are you guys using a tap lube? I use Tap Magic or Fluid Film.

Forget which one I bought - grey case - but, a little lube and slow drill ,and haven't snapped one yet. Lube is king when tapping ..