Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,881  
Anyone seen any real reviews of the Vulcan welders? I've been toying with getting an inverter stick welder (surprised that Vulcan doesn't make one). But I wouldn't mind a TIG/ stick inverter that can do AC so I can do aluminum. I already have a 250a MIG welder and a plasma cutter so I wouldn't bother with a multi-process TIG/MIG/stick welder. The ProTIG 200 looks interesting but with HF's limited warranty I'd like to know more before buying one. There are 3 reviews on HF website but they are all from the same location.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,882  
Been there done that,he didn't like it,poor guy died last year sure do mes him a friend for life.

I don't mean to disrespect the dead but that must have been a heck of an electric fence.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,883  
... There are 3 reviews on HF website but they are all from the same location.
All, within commute distance of HF's main office. Maybe they gave them to employees to try out. :)

Actually over on Welding Web the HF forum there has reviews of the new Vulcan welders by someone who was given prototypes to run in a production environment, and a couple of first-impression reviews by people who bought them as soon as they came out. There's a lively discussion going on there but it's still mostly speculation and discussion of marketing strategy. Its just too soon at present.

Welding Web's HF forum: Harbor Freight

One thing I learned reading there is HF's warranty on these is 'return it for any reason, or no reason at all' for a full refund, for a year. How's that for a marketing strategy to move product! Buying a warranty covering the second and third year isn't too costly, it's probably a good idea with no service available for these.

My impression is HF is trying to take over the role Craftsman abandoned and the Vulcan welders are fully competitive with the box-store welders that weekend hobbyists buy.

For daily professional use? Its too soon to determine. That one prototype tester liked some models, said he quit using another model the same day it arrived, but the production units he finally received resolved all the critiques he had made while he used them in a production shop.

I'm impressed with the simple and obvious setup they have. Knobs or a video screen with menus, just set material type, thickness, rod or mig diameter and type, and the machine is all set without having to experiment. Of course you can adjust up/down from what it chooses for you. They even include a material thickness gauge. For the weekender these features cut through the mysteries of proper setup, just dial in your parameters and get to work welding. I could use that but I'm cheap. What I already have (at far less cost) has proven sufficient for my farm repairs:

Prior:
Century 135 Mig

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,884  
That was my thought when I bought one 15-20 years ago. For some reason, whenever I wanted it I couldn't find it. The concept is good but the hose clamp is easier and more convenient. Maybe someday.
Once you start using them, it will be hard to go back...it's one of my most used items from the shop the nearly infinite length opens up posibilities not previously available. With 14 gauge wire, it's stronger than any hose clamp and cheaper.

There is some learning curve, and I can't seem to not break the wire when I use 17 gauge...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,885  
I'm impressed with the simple and obvious setup they have. Knobs or a video screen with menus, just set material type, thickness, rod or mig diameter and type, and the machine is all set without having to experiment. Of course you can adjust up/down from what it chooses for you. They even include a material thickness gauge.

Way back in 1995 we had a Lincoln 3 Phase welder where I worked that was like this. Set material type and thickness, wire material and size, gas type and mixture, etc and it would auto adjust the settings and feed rate. Loved that machine..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,886  
I have the Lincoln MP210 that some of these are likely clones of. None of us can speak for the HF welders yet but I will say that after using the "smart" Lincoln MP210 I could never go back to an older welder. These new welders are incredibly easy to set, use and weld with. It's as though ShieldArc is guiding my hand. :D

If HF has it halfway figured out, and they probably do, this is a new level for them. Maybe they really are going to fill the Craftsman tool void. Their better hand tools are pretty good and arguably better than some of the Craftsman wrenches.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,887  
I have the Lincoln MP210 that some of these are likely clones of. None of us can speak for the HF welders yet but I will say that after using the "smart" Lincoln MP210 I could never go back to an older welder. These new welders are incredibly easy to set, use and weld with. It's as though ShieldArc is guiding my hand. :D

If HF has it halfway figured out, and they probably do, this is a new level for them. Maybe they really are going to fill the Craftsman tool void. Their better hand tools are pretty good and arguably better than some of the Craftsman wrenches.

The problem is that the Lincoln MP 210 (I did look at it) doesn't do AC so it's a no go for aluminum for me. I know it can be done with DC but I'll be learning and I assume that the Vulcan is not a HF start machine so it'll be a challenge to begin with. The real problem is that I really don't have much of a need for a TIG. Almost everything I would do would be aluminum. I just can't justify dropping a couple grand on an AC TIG with HF start. I'm hoping to find someone who has tried to weld Aluminum with the ProTIG 200 to see just how easy it is.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,888  
Has anyone used one of the HF tap and die sets?

They seem to have a cheap version ($15), a kinda cheap version ($37) and a not-so-cheap version ($88). Unless you guys confirm that one of the cheaper two is an ok set for occasional use, I'd probably lean toward the $88 one, but don't want to waste money if it's junk.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,889  

They seem to have a cheap version ($15), a kinda cheap version ($37) and a not-so-cheap version ($88). Unless you guys confirm that one of the cheaper two is an ok set for occasional use, I'd probably lean toward the $88 one, but don't want to waste money if it's junk.

We have some of the sets. Don't buy the low end stuff unless you are working with softwood or light plastic. The ones I had seemed to be extra light duty. On the high end, you have to presume HF's variable quality as a factor here but mine have been pretty good for what I use them for. I chase existing or damaged threads with them and for that purpose they are excellent. My sets go up to 3/4" or maybe even larger.

I have both metric and SAE sets and on occasion have changed the thread on an odd metric bolt or fixed one that was seriously damaged. I used cutting oil and was prepared for it to break but none did despite being used hard. Again, for this purpose they worked fine.

You wouldn't want to use them in a production shop because of the fear of the unknown but for my occasional lighter duty use they were a qualified "don't suck".

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,890  

I don't remember which one I have but it came in a gray case. I have used it many times with no problems.