Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing?

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing?
Zork
The stop solenoid bolts directly to the end of the IP it is hidden behind the filter in the pictures. You can see the electrical connector above the filter next to intake hose.

No I did not remove the banjo bolt to check for screen.

Last edited:
   / Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #32  
Gotcha

Well finally got some of the stuff off the honey-do list so spent a little time on my list ;-) I pulled the glow plugs to verify they all glow cherry red in a similar time with battery charger connected to them. Did not check voltage of charger. All 3 plugs started to glow around 5 - 6 seconds and 1/2" up on tip was cherry red in 9 - 10 seconds so that certainly should eliminate a bad glow plug. Still stutters / misses when first starting but runs fine once going.
I purchased a Racor 120AT filter/water separator assembly but will have to make a mounting bracket to finish installing it.

the search for a solution continues.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #34  
Wow, this one is being a pain! I would have thought for sure you would have found a weak glow plug. I like the idea of upgrading the filter though.

I am also looking at using infrared heat gun to check exhaust manifold temps at start up to see if I Can detect a difference in exhaust temp on one of the cylinders. Problem is #2 is kind of hidden behind muffler so am still kicking around how to do this since shooting the main exhaust manifold body at that point is the junction for all three cylinders.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #36  
Wow, this one is being a pain! I would have thought for sure you would have found a weak glow plug. I like the idea of upgrading the filter though.
Yeah, IMO that filter assembly is suspect at best. I replaced mine early on for a clear horizontal auto fuel filter. Doesn't look snazzy but offers a clear visual indicator for water or lack of fuel.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #37  
Wondering if the o-ring in the shutoff valve on the filter housing could be letting air in and cause of weird issues.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #38  
I am also looking at using infrared heat gun to check exhaust manifold temps at start up to see if I Can detect a difference in exhaust temp on one of the cylinders. Problem is #2 is kind of hidden behind muffler so am still kicking around how to do this since shooting the main exhaust manifold body at that point is the junction for all three cylinders.
Maybe loosen the fuel line at the injectors one at a time to see if problem stays the same or gets worse?

Tried infrared gun and cylinder 2 exhaust manifold warmed up slower than 1 & 3. Still plan on replacing filter but if was air leak why would it seem to only affect one cylinder more than others?

The search for solution continues.

/ Hard starting 2400H - lift pump failing? #40  
I think you are close to finding the problem. Next step for me would be pulling that number 2 injector and having it tested/rebuilt.