Hardware store nostalgia

/ Hardware store nostalgia #11  
John, I enjoyed your story. We had a Western Auto Store in our small town for decades....Bill & Peggy owned it and their kids worked there....Walmart opened and the rest is history...the contents of their store were auctioned and the store was closed about a year after Walmart opened only 3 miles away...I miss that store and the personal service they offered.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #12  
As a kid I loved our local Western Auto for the huge assortment of bicycle parts and accessories that they stocked. Whether you needed a bearing, tires, tubes, a light, horn, siren, handlegrips, handlegrip tassels, basket, reflector (they had about 50 different kinds), rear view mirror, jewel imbedded acorn nuts for your axles, fancy seats or pedals, or a luggage rack. they had them. :)

/ Hardware store nostalgia #13  
We had a Firestone store that sold Bikes and parts and minibikes.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #14  
Yep, we had one. A few years ago, while living in Alameda Ca., had a downtown hardware store that would bring back memories, like going back in time 40 -50 years. Also had a woolworths complete with lunch counter. Though those stores went away 50 years ago!

mark

/ Hardware store nostalgia #16  
Yes, great memories. Our Western Auto was Stehr's Hardware before Western Auto then he took on that name. They had just about everything you could imagine. The original owner died and the store closed for a while until some local farmers and businessmen bought it and hired someone to run it. They no longer carry firearms, but handle ammo. It is very handy for the farmers in our small community of 1200.

You can still have a "farm account" there, no credit card or cash needed, just tell them to "put it on my bill" and you will get a statement at the end of the month. We buy stuff there to help support the local economy as do many others. For big things, we have to go to a larger store, but we use them whenever we can.

The town just to the north of us still has an old time store with just about everything you would have found at a Western Auto store including guns and we buy do business there also. It may cost a little more on some things, but the convenience is well worth it.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #17  
I remember growing up in Bonners Ferry, we had a WA store. Couple doors down was a tv and appliance store that was also a Suzuki motorcycle dealership. Across the street was an old fashioned hardware store that had the rolling ladders, rope and chain coming up from basement bins, and the requisite section of sporting goods since the owner was an avid hunter/fisherman. There was of course the dime store, and a Rexall drug store; that comprised the core of the town, along with the post office, bank and Safeway store. It was truly the land that time forgot for a long time; specialty items often required a trip to Spokane, an event that only occurred once or twice a year since gas was almost thirty cents a gallon! It was a rare treat indeed to go to the big city and browse the White Elephant and Eagle Electric.

/ Hardware store nostalgia
OP here.

Great comments. They remind me of a bunch of other stuff. Dad would have enjoyed this thread!

John

/ Hardware store nostalgia #19  
Western Auto was fantasy land for me as a kid. It was much, much more than a hardware store. It was dreams and smells and neat stuff that opened my imagination. My first lawnmower was a Wizard and quite advanced for its day. For me, it was a sad day when they closed their doors. Thanks for the memories, John. Your parents owned a jewel of the American history of retailing. I have no negative memories of anything coming out of a Western Auto Store.:thumbsup:

/ Hardware store nostalgia #20  
It's been a number of years for me, but anyone around Bath, NY remember the hardware store? (It may/hopefully still be there)