Hardware store nostalgia

/ Hardware store nostalgia #21  
The best bicycle I ever owned was a Western Flyer, we could only afford one, so I shared it with my brothers; loved that bike.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #22  
One of the things about the local stores is that they dump a lot of money back into the economy, and many small business owners soundly believe in the principle of shop local, buy local, buy USA.

There was a small corner grocery store 1/4 mile from my place which unfortunately closed before I moved here. While I can certainly brew coffee at home, I kind of wish I could just walk down to the store and purchase a cup of cappucino (which would probably be gone by the time I get home).

Unfortunately, if I have to get into my car and drive to town to go shopping, I normally turn towards the city, and not towards the next small suburb town, and I must admit that I like the "everything" stores, although Walmart is one of my rarest of stops.

While one likes the low prices of the big super-stores, I wonder if the USA would in fact be wealthier if we maintained the small stores with the more expensive Made in the USA products.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #23  
The "lowest price" is what has killed the "local" economy. We're all pretty much to blame.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #24  
Thanks for posting, it brings back memories. We had a Western Auto in the nearest big town when I was growing up, but we had a Hardware Store in our small town that had everything from bolts, nails; etc in revolving bins. In 1981, I bought a 6 cylinder engine for my 1972 Plymouth at a Western Auto in Florida and they installed it. True Value stores remind me a little of the Old Time Hardware Stores.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #25  
Ya know what's funny...I'm thinking back to some walks in Hammondsport, just a few years ago (5-6?), and I'm thinking I may have....asked to borrow the bathroom. :laughing: (morning coffee)

/ Hardware store nostalgia #27  
Ya know what's funny...I'm thinking back to some walks in Hammondsport, just a few years ago (5-6?), and I'm thinking I may have....asked to borrow the bathroom. :laughing: (morning coffee)
Coffee seems to do the same thing to me.:D

/ Hardware store nostalgia #28  
I remember a Foster's Hardware store as a kid. He weighed the nails and wrapped everything you bought in brown paper. The tools were real tools, real quality and American made. There was the cheaper line, and what a carpenter would pleased to use. The really good hand saws were out of reach, and there was a selection. Most hardware stores today sell junk, poorly designed, not made in the US. It was a real pleasure to poke around in this store. But it faded to be replaced by the franchise hardware stores. I buy at the local store and try to stay away from home depot and lowes. In 1958 or so my family purchased a 7" aluminum Millers Falls skillsaw. (turned into Porter Cable) It was made about 3 hours west of us. It had use until about 10 years ago, and then it just went with the sale of my mother's house. I had the bushings replaced 3-4 x. Great saw.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #29  
My gosh this thread brings back memories. My dad bought a small hardware store in the early sixties near Towson MD. I spent every Saturday and most of my summers there from the time I was 11 until I joined the Army at age 19. At first we were doing ok but then the Montgomery Wards and Sears opened and then the Big Box stores killed us. I remember days when our total gross was only $30. There were no employees as there was insufficient income to pay them. He worked six days a week from 9 in the morning until 9 at night. I remember my dad got seriously sick for three weeks and my brother and I ran the store for those three weeks. I forged his name on checks to pay the distributors. When folks asked where he was, the story was that he out doing deliveries or something. I was 17 then and my brother was 15. We made purchases, kept the books, and did all storm window repairs, paint mixing, locksmith work, pipe threading and cutting, appliance repair as well as sales. The only thing we didn't do was lawnmower sharpening because dad never allowed us to use the equipment. Probably a good thing as he ended up with silicosis from the dust. It ultimately killed him. My brother and I hated that store and everything associated with it. We felt at the time that it snatched our lives from us. We were never able to participate in school activities, clubs, sports or any other weekend activity because of the **** store. In retrospect, it made us better people. We learned hardware, construction, electronics, people skills, business management, and a host of other life survival skills because of it. In spite of all the above my dad loved that hardware store. He hated selling it when his health got too bad. I thinks its a clothing boutique now or at least it was 15 years ago when I last drove by it.

/ Hardware store nostalgia #30  
My parents bought me my first set of Lionel electric trains from the Western Auto near where we lived on the East Coast. Owned by a vet my Dad fought with in WW2 (Maybe he got a discount??). Loved that store!!! Regards, Mike