Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online?

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #41  
   / Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #42  
I am remodeling my kitchen from the ground up and have completely gutted it.
I am shopping for new cabinets and checking prices verses quality. I am only wanting wood cabinets, no partical board!
Just because a company on line says they have the latest and greatest I am skeptical.
Most seem to be "RTA" (ready to assemble) and the u-tube videos seem to be easy enough and solidly made.
They offer a sample door to compare their quality but that could be a best of the best sample. ???
I have looked at prices locally and online seems to be up to 40% less and some offer free shipping over a certain dollar amount. ($1500-2000.) The cabinets are not in great shape and will represent the biggest outlay of funds from what I can see; the company that my daughter used 5 years ago (CliqStudio) went bankrupt and has just been bought out; not sure I want to use them.
So I am looking for someone who has been there and done that from Maine Cabinet Company.
The cabinets are not in great shape and will represent the biggest outlay of funds from what I can see; the company that my daughter used 5 years ago (CliqStudio) went bankrupt and has just been bought out; not sure I want to use them.
My builder-grade kitchen is 18 years old and showing serious signs of wear. We live in a NYC post-war coop and moving forward (we are 67) I'd like to modify the layout slightly, add a dishwasher, take the fuse box down from a high wall and move it to a more accessible space.

The cabinets are not in great shape and will represent the biggest outlay of funds from what I can see; the company that my daughter used 5 years ago (CliqStudio) went bankrupt and has just been bought out; not sure I want to use them.

Has anyone done a kitchen recently and have feedback, good or bad on the cabinet manufacturer they used?

Any other suggestions are gratefully accepted!

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #43  
When I did my kitchen remodel 15 years ago, my wife and I priced cabinets from Lowes, Home Depot etc. We were all ready to go that route, until someone told me to contact a local custom cabinet maker.

The cabinet maker ended up being almost 1/2 what the store bought cabinets were going to cost and they're a whole lot better. The cabinet maker knew how to vary the heights and the depth of the various cabinets to really give it a custom look, that I never would have got, if I went with store bought. He also made a wine rack/liquor cabinet, back door bench and coat rack and a office space, custom made for the printer, files etc. All are solid red oak doors, frames, trim, with plywood carcasses.

The catch is he doesn't finish them, you do that yourself or hire someone to do it. That wasn't a big deal as I have a buddy that's a wood shop teacher and he knew exactly how to do it and it was a whole lot simpler than you might imagine.

One of the products he turned me onto is a "pre-catalyzed lacquer". The stuff dries to handle in less than 20 minutes and is a "low build", unlike polyurethane. I think the stuff I used was from ICI paint stores, but I bet Sherwin Williams has something similar. PM me if you want some details on the process we used.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #44  
Yes I've bought RTA cabinets and assembled them. Assembly and installation are a big part of why RTA cabinets are either good or bad. As long as you are getting solid wood drawers, at least 1/2" plywood boxes, good quality hinges, nothing wrong with RTA. Just make sure you take the extra time to use glue during assembly and install them properly. I over-secured mine and have had no issues.

If I needed custom, I would buy a few tools and do it myself. Materials are probably less than 1/4 of the cost of the cabinets even at current prices.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #45  
It's been a few years since our kitchen remodel. Cabinets and floors are obviously the focal point of the kitchen build. After having worked at a cabinet manufacturing facility in the 80s I knew I didn't want anything to do with any kind of pre-manufactured cabinet. The first time around I bought custom made cabinets from a friend and installed them myself a piece at a time. In the remodel I had the contractor build my cabinets in place. Plywood boxes and solid oak doors and drawer fronts. The only other thing I splurged on was the Wolfe range.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #46  
Yes I've bought RTA cabinets and assembled them. Assembly and installation are a big part of why RTA cabinets are either good or bad. As long as you are getting solid wood drawers, at least 1/2" plywood boxes, good quality hinges, nothing wrong with RTA. Just make sure you take the extra time to use glue during assembly and install them properly. I over-secured mine and have had no issues.

If I needed custom, I would buy a few tools and do it myself. Materials are probably less than 1/4 of the cost of the cabinets even at current prices.
I've seen a few Cali based flipping shows use assembled on site cabinets and always assumed they were lousy mdf with plastic feet and therefore lousy. Not the case?

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #47  
I've seen a few Cali based flipping shows use assembled on site cabinets and always assumed they were lousy mdf with plastic feet and therefore lousy. Not the case?
Not all of them. There's a range of course. Mine have solid wood doors with dovetail joints, all plywood boxes, painted finish. No mdf or hdf. They get assembled with screws mostly but I added a lot of brads and glue, then installed them until each cabinet had zero movement which includes using trim screws to join each cabinet to the adjacent one. Then use a good thick plywood for the countertop base, and the whole thing is really solid.

I think the actual cabinets are made in China or Vietnam but they have the California CARB stamp on them, if that means anything (supposedly restricts the chemical content).

Last edited:
   / Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #48  
When we built my parents home 45 years ago, we used a local company called The Cabinet Factory in Eugene Oregon. They did great work, and the company still exists.

A few years ago I was remodeling a house in St Louis, and ordered All Plywood Construction on my cabinets from Home Depot. They came with vinyl instead of varnish on the inside. Every one was returned. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand.