Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online?

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #21  
Another option is build your own. Couple thousand in some basic tooling can get you a good start.

I'm way beyond that now, but I built cabinets for some rental homes I built as well as all the base/casings/etc for them, plus done some custom work for others and remodeled my own gutted-to-the-studs kitchen.

I use birch plywood for the casework, then red oak for the face frames and doors. Maple dovetailed drawers, good self closing drawer slides. Nice thing about DIY is you get exactly what you want.

This is our current kitchen: (one raised panel on the end of the island not installed yet in this pic)

ry%3D400

Built the bifold doors, that is the washer/dryer.

ry%3D400

Appliance 'garage' cabinet is 16" deep.

ry%3D400

Over the years, wife found deep drawers way more useful than conventional small drawer over cabinet door type construction, so I put in a lot of drawers.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Sink area. Notice the depth of window extension jambs.....exterior walls are 10" thick.

ry%3D400

Cool deal for wife's mixer.....and I'm the receipent of the mixed stuff...ahahaa

ry%3D400

Kitchen in one of our rentals:

ry%3D400

Nice work Andy. Curious if you use separate shapers for stile, rail and panel cuts? I never had three shapers I could dedicate to door construction but wish I had. I was lucky to have two.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #22  
Nice work Andy. Curious if you use separate shapers for stile, rail and panel cuts? I never had three shapers I could dedicate to door construction but wish I had. I was lucky to have two.

Thanks.

At one time, I had an RBI 'door machine'.....which was basically a horizontal shaper with about a 1 1/4" x 20" shaft below the table top, then mounted all three door cutters (rail, stile, panel) on the shaft. There was a pair of vertical fences over each cutter. They advertised you could make a raised panel door in 2 minutes, which if you had the parts cut and ready to go, you could.

PMIV_CAD_Picture.png

The-PanelMASTER-IV

Pretty slick little machine...IF they had made the thing where it was easy to change cutters (it wasn't...) when you needed to, and made the case/frame out of some decently heavy cast iron, or at least thick steel, (it was lightweight sheet metal and really noisy when you flipped it on), I'd have probably kept it even after I was done building a lot of doors. Really good concept, but they cheaped out on the construction.

Now I have a 5hp model 26 Powermatic....really nice, heavy machine. Slower, of course, because one cutter at a time.....but when you flip it on, it just hums....not sounding like it would fly apart.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #23  
I would second the thought of the full drawer cabinets. We did 3 and the rest were drawer over doors with pull outs. If doing it again, they would probably all be full drawers, with the exception of the sink cabinet if course. We did like was mentioned. Dedicated the garage for the cabinets. Spent a couple of hours organizing parts. We put a piece of plywood on sawhorses for the assembly. After learning on the first couple assembly went quickly. We just assembled a couple and installed them right away to save space. We were down to about 10 minute assembly for the boxes. Barker uses heavy duty screws in predrilled holes so they are quick and easy. I originally thought I would use glue too, but they seemed plenty sturdy without. On their site they showed tossing cabinets off the roof of their building to demonstrate how tough they are.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online?
A lot of suggestions and i have been checking them out. So now I am more confused!
Most don't have prices listed and some were wholesale to distributor only.
I have been looking at www.kitchencabinetmall.com and prices seem reasonable.
I would like to see more pic detail than most websites have.
Building myself isn't an option because of time it would take and the advanced woodworking tools needed.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #26  
With the amount of money involved buying kitchen cabinets, I'd be very hesitant to order from the internet unless I'd seen some examples of their product. I'm sure there are some great cabinet builders out there, but I'd bet there's a lot that are out there that build good looking cabinets, but use particle board on everything that isn't visible from the front.
When I did my kitchen, the wife liked the Kraft Made cabinets from Lowe's. We went online, downloaded their catalog and worked out a plan for what we needed to do the job. Then we bounced back and forth between Home Depot and Lowe's with their price match guarantees. Finally went with Lowes because they gave us 10% under the lowest offer, threw in plywood sides and gave us two sink bases for free, then I used my 10% military discount off the final price. Four weeks later, a Kraft Made truck delivered them to the house.

As long as you don't settle for the listed price and are willing to do some legwork and negotiating, you can get a pretty good deal.

It has been a while now, but I had a 20% discount offer from Lowe's, and THEN got the 10% military discount on top of that.
I don't think I could get that deal again, but occasionally, special deals do come up.
My Lowe's custom order cabinets, were built by Shenandoah, in Winchester, Va., and are a very attractive part of my summer home.
Lowe's did the plan/layout for free (with my final approval).
Cabinet boxes are particle board, but facing is all solid, and assembly, and hardware are both very good.
The oak Shenandoah cabinets are nice!
Considering the combined discounts, I am especially pleased.

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #27  
It has been a while now, but I had a 20% discount offer from Lowe's, and THEN got the 10% military discount on top of that.
I don't think I could get that deal again, but occasionally, special deals do come up.
My Lowe's custom order cabinets, were built by Shenandoah, in Winchester, Va., and are a very attractive part of my summer home.
Lowe's did the plan/layout for free (with my final approval).
Cabinet boxes are particle board, but facing is all solid, and assembly, and hardware are both very good.
The oak Shenandoah cabinets are nice!
Considering the combined discounts, I am especially pleased.

Yeah, we ended up going with Lowe's, too. We ordered from Diamond for the cabinets, which will have maple fronts and plywood sides. Granite countertop is from a local supplier, as is all installation labor. Lowe's quote beat our local cabinet builder by over $2K, and there is no sales tax.

Wife seems pleased, so there's that. :thumbsup:

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #29  
I've ordered a few times now from CL Kitchens for bathrooms, kitchens and pantries. I've been thrilled with them, their construction is good, the boxes are straight and square, there are a ton of options for size and type and they deliver on time. The only problem is that they have limited options for color/stain; I do my own spraying, so it's not a problem for me, I just take off their doors and go right into the booth to put a new finish on (if I can't find something I like). No, they aren't "high end" cabinets, there's some MDF in there. But, honestly, when I look in my kitchen which has a mix of "high end" custom cabinets and stuff from CL Kitchens, I can't tell the difference. And the hardware on the CL Kitchens stuff is better, the runners; soft close everything, if you just handle the products are aren't looking at the construction, you'd think the CL stuff was the expensive cabinets and the custom stuff was the cheap. I'll never do custom again, if that tells you anything, unless I need something that's really, really custom (and I'd build it myself).

CL Kitchens | Kitchen Cabinetry, Baths & Closet

/ Has anybody ordered Kitchen Cabinets online? #30  
1984 calling

ahahaaaa....or 2024 coming early. Yeah, today is all about white cabinets and quartz tops and Italian marble, blah, blah, blah....it goes in cycles.

This was built about 15 years ago, I sold it after renting a couple years and have no idea what it looks like now. For the time, and HERE, it was a fairly decent rental house....compared to the average 1960's models.