Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually?

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #11  
My old Tacoma which I really liked was recalled due to frame failure (14 points) which ultimately resulted in a trade up to my current Tundra (2008) for which I have a frame inspection notice. The truck has ~80K miles on it, has not been abused, and I have already replaced two wheel bearings, two sets of brake cylinders/calipers, and thankfully the heat "shields" have all fallen off or were pulled off. Apparently road de-icer and parking on gravel are too much for the Toyota metallurgy up here in the NE CONUS. I undercoated it this Winter.

I will not buy another Toyota product.
It's also 10 years old. I don't know of any truck which likes staying outside during the New England winters.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #12  
Seems odd to jump from the 1/2 Ton market to the DRW market with no offering in the 3/4 or 1 ton ratings. I guess I'm skeptical that we will see any big trucks from Toyota, all of their future offerings in the car market are supposedly hybrid and electric.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #13  
If I am going to buy a dually it better tow a heck of a lot more than 18k.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #14  
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. They can’t just slap a few extra wheels on back and call it a day. It would require a whole new truck from the frame up. Something they haven’t done since the tundra was redesigned in 2007. Going on 12 years of basically the same truck and same powertrain minus some body work changes. It would be pretty stupid to introduce a heavy duty truck before they can figure out how to make a half ton that sells. Ford has already sold over 123 thousand F150s this year, Toyota has sold about 6 thousand tundras. What does that tell you? Sales for tundras have declined 10.9% this year already, not a good indicator that they should be messing around in another segment of trucks. Nissan has attempted to gain back some truck market share with the redesigned “XD” and has basically failed miserably so far. And they even stuck a Cummins in it! If anything, I’d think there’s a greater possibility of seeing Toyota bow out of producing half ton trucks all together. And now with Ford and Chevy both ramping up mid size truck productions by refreshing the ranger and Colorado, Toyota is going to lose more and more market share of the mid size lines. Good luck Toyota, your gonna need it!

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #15  
   / Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #16  
Okay, that's fair. There is a large market share in the drw area, that Toyota could really make some money.
YTD through February, Toyota sold 15,621 Tundras.

Ford sold 127,000 F series, GM 107,000, Ram 63,000. Not sure how much extra business expanding the line would get them.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually?
I wouldn稚 get your hopes up. They can稚 just slap a few extra wheels on back and call it a day. It would require a whole new truck from the frame up. Something they haven稚 done since the tundra was redesigned in 2007. Going on 12 years of basically the same truck and same powertrain minus some body work changes. It would be pretty stupid to introduce a heavy duty truck before they can figure out how to make a half ton that sells. Ford has already sold over 123 thousand F150s this year, Toyota has sold about 6 thousand tundras. What does that tell you? Sales for tundras have declined 10.9% this year already, not a good indicator that they should be messing around in another segment of trucks. Nissan has attempted to gain back some truck market share with the redesigned 店D and has basically failed miserably so far. And they even stuck a Cummins in it! If anything, I壇 think there痴 a greater possibility of seeing Toyota bow out of producing half ton trucks all together. And now with Ford and Chevy both ramping up mid size truck productions by refreshing the ranger and Colorado, Toyota is going to lose more and more market share of the mid size lines. Good luck Toyota, your gonna need it!

I'm the OP on this and some of those numbers are not correct.

2018 Toyota Tundra Highlights for January
Tundra posted sales of 7,644 units, up 15.3 percent

For February
Tundra posted sales of 7,977 units, up 10.3 percent

Toyota Tundra Annual Sales
2017 116.285
2016 115.489
2015 118.880
2014 118.493
2013 112.732
2012 101.621
2011 82.908
2010 93.309
2009 79.385
2008 137.249
2007 196.555
2006 124.508
2005 126.529
2004 112.484
2003 101.316
2002 99.333
2001 108.863
2000 100.445
1999 42.769
1998 0

I've owned all brands of trucks for decades and the quality and dealer attitude of the big three has me in Tundras for 20 years now and I'm thrilled with the quality and warranty. I can and do tow up to 10,000 lbs and have had zero issues. Just like Kubota taking the next step up with their M-7 lines, I suspect Toyota is looking at the next step but don't know. The Japanese are slow and I suspect want into the bigger truck market.

Anyway, this is about Toyota dually rumors and not brand bashing. I've considered a GMC, and may well do that, but I have had a painful past. If Toyota can come up with a dually, I would like to know about it so I can consider it. So if rumors are out there, I'll bet someone here knows or suspects something.

Bear in mind I'd prefer to buy USA and am not over WWII issues. My father worked for Ford and Ford was my dream truck of years ago. I still have an older 2 ton Ford that I love. It's just I have worked very hard for my $$ and want the best value, as I determine, that I can get in this segment of the market. That a manufacturer doesn't produce for a specific segment of the market only means they like where they are and what they are doing and I'm fine with that. Kubota had years of small tractors and now are the elephant in the room in SCUTS, CUTS and the small utility and hay market. The M-7 now approaches 200HP and dual wheel status. In fact, I owned an 89HP Kubota back in 1990 when they first came out and wish I still had it.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #18  
I'm the OP on this and some of those numbers are not correct.

2018 Toyota Tundra Highlights for January
Tundra posted sales of 7,644 units, up 15.3 percent

For February
Tundra posted sales of 7,977 units, up 10.3 percent

Toyota Tundra Annual Sales
2017 116.285
2016 115.489
2015 118.880
2014 118.493
2013 112.732
2012 101.621
2011 82.908
2010 93.309
2009 79.385
2008 137.249
2007 196.555
2006 124.508
2005 126.529
2004 112.484
2003 101.316
2002 99.333
2001 108.863
2000 100.445
1999 42.769
1998 0

I've owned all brands of trucks for decades and the quality and dealer attitude of the big three has me in Tundras for 20 years now and I'm thrilled with the quality and warranty. I can and do tow up to 10,000 lbs and have had zero issues. Just like Kubota taking the next step up with their M-7 lines, I suspect Toyota is looking at the next step but don't know. The Japanese are slow and I suspect want into the bigger truck market.

Anyway, this is about Toyota dually rumors and not brand bashing. I've considered a GMC, and may well do that, but I have had a painful past. If Toyota can come up with a dually, I would like to know about it so I can consider it. So if rumors are out there, I'll bet someone here knows or suspects something.

Bear in mind I'd prefer to buy USA and am not over WWII issues. My father worked for Ford and Ford was my dream truck of years ago. I still have an older 2 ton Ford that I love. It's just I have worked very hard for my $$ and want the best value, as I determine, that I can get in this segment of the market. That a manufacturer doesn't produce for a specific segment of the market only means they like where they are and what they are doing and I'm fine with that. Kubota had years of small tractors and now are the elephant in the room in SCUTS, CUTS and the small utility and hay market. The M-7 now approaches 200HP and dual wheel status. In fact, I owned an 89HP Kubota back in 1990 when they first came out and wish I still had it.

Unfortunately every site I look at for sales figures has different numbers so I’m not entirely sure which one to trust. Just went with the easiest one to read on my phone. But regardless, their sales numbers are a small fraction of what Ford, GM and Ram make in a year.

You call the japs slow to respond, but how much slower can they go? They’ve been producing “trucks” for the US market for decades now. While I think their Tacoma is a great mid size truck, I think they’ve fallen extremely short in every way on the tundra and have yet to do anything about it a decade later. If there’s one thing Americans hate, it’s waiting. No one wants to wait on a manufacturer to update or fix issues over 10 years later. Truck people want what they want and want it now not later. Heavy duty trucks are also many people’s prime piece of equipment they rely on for their income. How can anyone put faith and money into a company that most likely isn’t going to respond for years to issues that need to be addressed right away. I know plenty of people that need their trucks to work hard on a daily basis, and also rely on those companies to continually progress their truck lines to increase work capability. That is what will keep heavy duty truck buyers from putting their hard earned dollars into a unproven truck that’s made by a company that has proven to show no interest in keeping up with competition. When Ford or GM have issues with something, you see it fixed or changed quite rapidly in comparison, Ford more so than GM on that front(another good reason they remain #1).

I understand your point about them being comfy where they stand currently. Ford and others are scaling back car production in order to produce more trucks along with investing 8 billion dollars more into truck R&D. If Toyota was smart they would take Fords lack of interest in cars and use that to bolster their car R&D/sales. They already do so well there as is, might as well make it even better especially when they are being offered market share on a silver platter. Diving into a market they have no track record in is dangerous to their bottom line. The big 3 pretty much have a strangle hold on heavy duty market and will do just about anything in the world to keep it that way, I don’t see Toyota having the ability to pull that off.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #19  
I have owned a tundra since the redesign in 2007, I also owned gen 1 2004 Sequoia. They've all been fantastic vehicles. Our current one is a 2011 just about to hit 100K miles. Very reliable, low ownership cost vehicle.

Even though there was the spike in sales numbers from 2007, Toyota reportedly admitted that they did not expect to take over the small truck Market in the USA, and that they expected to retain, or only slowly increase marginally, their share of the market.

I was a member of the tundra forums years ago, and I remember all the discussion back in 2007 when they debuted the concept Dually diesel. There was a number on the form who claimed to be a regional rep for Toyota North America. It sounded like the issue with bringing that Dually diesel to the market had more to do with outfitting the dealerships with diesel tech & technicians in the shops. Apparently there was a battle between who would pay 2 retrofit the shops, and train or hire diesel technicians for Staffing. Toyota was putting that responsibility to the dealerships, and the dealerships did not want to absorb that cost, especially with the understanding that this would be a niche market vehicle. This is also apparently why, even though Toyota has a huge global presence with diesels in smaller vehicles, they haven't brought those cars to the US market either.

I come from a Ford family also, and I do love my Ford's. However, I can say with certainty that our Toyota vehicles have been more reliable and have cost less to own, than our Ford vehicles.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #20  
What you guys need is this. Toyota sell this in most third world countries the only thing that can handle really tough conditions Land Cruiser 7 Wagon Specifications - Toyota NZ
Toyota would never spend the money necessary to have the engines certified for emissions, and it is unlikely it would ever be able to meet safety standards.

The Mahindra Roxor [old fashioned Jeep] is being sold for off road use only. Doubt many will be sold.

Toyota does very well in the Crossover market here and Tacoma does well in the smaller pickup market. But their market share in [large body on frame] SUV and pickups is like 5%. Their best selling t��ruck is the RAV4 and for every Sequoia they sell GM sells 10 Tahoe/Yukon and Ford sells 7 Expeditions.

Last edited: