Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ?

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #11  
Last year I sold an item on ebay for $110.00, 3 weeks later I got a fee from ebay of around $20.00, a week after that a $10.00 fee from paypal, I ended up with around $80.00. My conclusion is ebay is for people that do a lot of selling and have online stores, what I like about it is they list where the item location is and if they are a top rated seller.

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #12  
I just love E-Bay because there is so much stuff and all of it is available to me at the click of a mouse. Don't have to figure out any new site or register.

Not tractor related, but I am getting so sick and tired of finding stuff on Amazon, only to see, Out of Stock, We don't know when this item will be available! Is that just a canadian thing? It's crap, pure and simple. Then, withdraw your listing of said items!

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #13  
I have found that often on Amazon and I am not there often. I must be missing something with them, my wife and one daughter buy often there it seems but I normally find for less else where. Maybe I have gotten tired of the companies who try to own the internet or cell phone industry. Remains me of what was the only brand of razor I would buy for most of my life. They got such a large share only way to increase price of their products, tell me just how may blades does a razor need?

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #14  
I just love people that want their cake and eat it too on E-Bay. They hope to get people into a bidding war, but then waste everyones time by putting a reserve bid and not mentioning that anywhere. Finally bidding ends and the notification comes up "Reserve Not Met"! Total BS.

The few auctions I have looked at with a reserve it does say "reserve not met" under the bid window. I use to simply message the seller to ask what the reserve was if I was interested. Nowadays when I search for something I enter parameters in the check boxes. I usually select US only, Buy it Now, and sort by price and shipping lowest first.

what I like about it is they list where the item location is and if they are a top rated seller.

What it lists is where the seller CLAIMS the item is located. In the last few months I have encountered more and more sellers either lying about location, shipping very slow, or not even having the item listed. I neg every seller that pulls that stuff on me too so hopefully it will play out after some time.

I kick my own butt when I don't pay attention to a sellers rating and what their negative reviews are. Some sellers with a gazillion sales can have tons of negative reviews and still be at 99+%. When you look at the negative reviews you often see where they have a history of not shipping items listed.

It really jerks my joint when they wait several days to inform me or don't inform me they don't have an item.

Back on topic kind of: I have not sold on eBay but I bought my backhoe off eBay. The seller accepted my best offer and I paid via wire transfer. eBay kept asking me to pay and it took a while for the seller to mark the sale as paid after I asked him several times.

The backhoe was not at all as advertised. The seller arranged shipping which took 2 months. I was getting pretty antsy by the time it arrived and very disappointed in the machine when it did. He claimed it was ready to work. It would have been a total screw job for anyone that wasn't mechanically inclined enough to diagnose and repair the faults. When it came off the trailer it was spewing oil 10ft out of one stabilizer when operated. The fuel tank was full of rust and the engine wouldn't run more than 5 minutes. Another of the areas he lied about was the brakes. I specifically asked him the condition of the brakes and he said they were good. It has none and the cylinders are leaking into the rear axle so bad they won't bleed out and work for more than an hour. The rear axle was over 5 gallons over filled so he had to know about the condition. That is a $2000 repair I still haven't done and am not equipped to perform. He also busted the face on the hour meter and pried the numbers down to reflect what he said the hours were. Of course that made it inoperable as well as unsightly. There were several other falsehoods and omissions in what he said and what it was. At the end of the day the price was low enough I have still got some value out of it so all was not lost. Not sure if I could ever resell it or recover much of my money. I'm not without blame because I bought a machine with minimal pictures and no video of it operating. Instead I sent messages back and forth and trusted the seller to tell the truth. Last I looked his rating had tanked completely but he was still selling.

I still use eBay more than Amazon.

My daughter is a prime member and we have learned I can just use her account to ship to my address and pay with my card if I find something that is prime eligible. So far that seems to be about 20% of the items listed.

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #15  
If it's low hours, and unless there was some technical change that makes your tractor more desireable over new, or prices have gone crazy (dollar becomeing worthless), it doesn't really matter where you sell. Price sells.

I think the worst part of selling equipment is the number of clueless people you have to endure.

I agree with most of that, but not sure what you mean by "dollar becoming worthless" ?
Yes there has been some inflation, but we have being told that's good and is supposed to happen at perhaps 1 - 2% rate - apparently deflation is the worst that can happen according to economists.

Dollar has appreciated for example when compared to Euro and is back to roughly where it was way back.

The exchange rate was $1.50 USD per one Euro in 2008 and around is around $1.12 USD today!

Cheers

Last edited:
   / Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #16  
Maybe the OP doesn't use Facebook. But if you do Marketplace has proven to me to sell items faster in most cases. People can message you instantly if you choose not to post a phone number (probably the best course) instead of waiting on emails via Craigslist. Now and then I'll post my business phone number on a CL ad and the scam calls or texts begin almost immediately.
I've sold several items on FB Marketplace much faster than on CL ads, although I often list items on both at the same time. More exposure is better. By the way, does anyone need a 72 inch Erskine skid steer snow blower? :laughing:

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #17  
Maybe the OP doesn't use Facebook. But if you do Marketplace has proven to me to sell items faster in most cases. People can message you instantly if you choose not to post a phone number (probably the best course) instead of waiting on emails via Craigslist. Now and then I'll post my business phone number on a CL ad and the scam calls or texts begin almost immediately.
I've sold several items on FB Marketplace much faster than on CL ads, although I often list items on both at the same time. More exposure is better. By the way, does anyone need a 72 inch Erskine skid steer snow blower? :laughing:

I tried FB Market a couple of times for smaller items. It seemed to attract a lot more of the flakes than CL in my experience. May work out better in your area. I also don't like it because I use messenger and I don't want it going off with ad inquiries.

I never put my phone or email in an ad. The Craigslist message system works best for me.

The ads I've seen on Marketplace that indicated they wanted buyers to call had (information removed) where they entered a phone number.

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #18  
I’ve sold a bunch off items on eBay including a 2 yer old car without issues. My only problem is the 10% fee for most items

Andy

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #19  
I sold my jd870 on craigslist mainly because i insisted that buyer comes and look at tractor and pays cash. Got tired of all the scammers trying to pay twice what i asked for and to give balance of funds to person picking up tractor....that kind of crap. After i changed my ad to state that buyer MUST come look at tractor and pay cash, i only had real interested buyers call me. I sold it for what i was asking. Everyone was happy. I did deliver it to him for free after i received payment . Ive seen so so many fake ebay Tractor and horse trailer ads over the years that i would not even shop there for these items. If i see another ad for a 2019 JD CAB tractor for $5,050.00 im going to scream

/ Has anyone listed a tractor on eBay ? #20  
I just love people that want their cake and eat it too on E-Bay. They hope to get people into a bidding war, but then waste everyones time by putting a reserve bid and not mentioning that anywhere. Finally bidding ends and the notification comes up "Reserve Not Met"! Total BS.

On a relatively expensive item (over $1,000) I put a reserve on E-Bay items.
Has always worked out great for me.
I have sold several items with a reserve, between $4K and $9K.
Recently bought a 2014 Mercedes E350 from a private seller,..... he had a reserve.

Last edited: