Haulin Trailers (this one in particular)

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #11  
I am amazed that no one has asked this; What is the GVW of the trailer? Is the 96" x 52" the deck or overall?

I've seen 1,000# GVW, 48" x 96" floor foldable trailers here for under $300. You have to assemble them (no welding, all hand tools) and supply the wood flooring and any sides you desire. If you have basic welding skills you can really make it stronger.

I have one I bought used well over twenty years ago for $75 from a neighbor who used it for his snowmobile. I used it for a variety of tasks over the years. Most recently it was used to haul my Goldwing. It's currently in service as a fuel tank hauler for a 100 gallon tank I use for diesel at my property.

In all of the time I've owned it I've put on a new floor, new valve stems, built wooden stake sides for it (the pockets were already welded in place) and, last month, replaced the coupler (because I damaged it, not because of wear).

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #12  
I think "worth the price" is dependent on the load rating. I bought a 4'x8' tilt trailer kit from a home improvement store years ago for considerably under $200 and it is very handy. It came in a couple boxes and was bolt together construction. It has a load rating of just under 1000#. The bed is exactly the size of a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I built 2' tall solid sides, front, and back of plywood. I have hauled a half cord of fire wood in it for short distances and lots of brush and miscellaneous. We also cover it with a tarp and haul it 600+ miles round trip each year deer hunting. The only thing I don't particularly like is mine has the 8" tires rather than the 12". But that has not been a problem. Even after several hours at highway speeds, the tires barely get warm. It stays outside with the tarp cover. I put two good coats of paint on the wood, repainted after about 5-6 years, and had to replace that wood after about 14 years.
Those type trailers cost more today, but I think are still considerably less than $525 new. His may have a much higher load rating for the extra cost. You may or may not need that higher rating.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( New information. It has a brand new wiring harness (old one was chewed up by squirrels), and new tires (originals dry-rotted) and rims. )</font>

Kevin

I'll go with the others that the GVWR may help dictate the value but $525 does seem a bit high.
I am a bit surprised that it needed new tires and rims after only 8 years. What was wrong with the rims? I have 4 trailers in this general size. I've had no issues with tires or rims for at least 20 years.

If you're going to use it around the property, you may want to consider removing at least the lights (wiring also if you don't need for road use). Things will catch them and break the lights and rip out the wiring. Can't tell from the pics, but if the lights are mounted out the side, you may want to cut off the mounting bracket as well. Hurts pretty bad on the shins.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( amazed that no one has asked this; What is the GVW of the trailer )</font>

Of course you're right, Gary. I was just guessing from the pictures that it's no more than 1000 pounds, if that. It was nearly 10 years ago, when I bought a 5' x 10' tiltbed trailer. It looked close to new but the guy said he bought it new to move to the country a year or so earlier. He was asking $450, but came down to $425 for it. I'm not sure what the weight rating was on it, but I towed it to Ellensburg, WA, empty, loaded it and drove across the scales; don't know what the tongue weight was, but I had 2800 pounds on the axle and had no problem coming back to Texas with that load. About 2.5 years ago, I sold it for $400.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #15  
Kevin, The trailer your looking at seams to be a very nice trailer ,is the wood fairly fresh? It looks like the wood might not be too old. As far the price goes I must agree with the others. If your just going to use it around the house maybe you could look around for another trailer or type of trailer and convert it to a utility trailer.That is what I ended up doing ,I found an old boat trailer at a yard sale for $40 took it home and bought some 2" angle and some 1"x6" pressure treat.
But if you really like that one make an offer that will make you and him happy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 537858-P0000518 (600 x 399).jpg
    537858-P0000518 (600 x 399).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 326
   / Haulin Trailers (this one in particular)
Thanks everyone!

So it looks like I've gotta find out the GVW of the trailer. Shouldn't be a problem I guess all I have to do is look at the title/registration. I guess the higher the better, what would be a good range for a tilt trailer of this size?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What was wrong with the rims?)</font>

I don't think there was any problem with them. He said he went to Northern Tool and picked up a set of tires that was already mounted, and just replaced the whole assembly.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Of course you'll have to paint it blue & white to match your TC30 )</font>

That goes without saying. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thought I'd call it a TC30-T

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks everyone!

So it looks like I've gotta find out the GVW of the trailer. Shouldn't be a problem I guess all I have to do is look at the title/registration. I guess the higher the better, what would be a good range for a tilt trailer of this size?

I don't think there was any problem with them. He said he went to Northern Tool and picked up a set of tires that was already mounted, and just replaced the whole assembly. )</font>

Kevin,

There may be a plate on the trailer that will give the GVWR. Normally on the front left somewhere. I would guess this trailer to be in the 1300-1600# range.

If you do buy the trailer, see if he'll throw in the old rims. Spare tires for yard trailers can be very handy... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

GVWR is 2000# on the nameplate

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #20  
The trailer looks pretty nice. One ton capacity, new tires/rims/light harness. If I were in the market for a new trailer I'd probably offer him $400, after checking around locally to price new trailers with similar capacities.

I once got a trailer for free, but spent about $200 just putting a new floor and sides on it. The plywood sides did not last, and warped badly. Treated lumber is a better choice imho.