Haulin Trailers (this one in particular)

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #21  
<font color="blue"> "One ton capacity" </font>

He said it was 2,000# GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). That would be GROSS WEIGHT RATING for the VEHICLE and its load. For the "capacity" one would need to subtract the weight of the trailer from that to get the load capacity.

Generally speaking, on a small trailer like that the difference isn't a big deal (or all that many pounds). I picked this nit here because I would hate to see someone accept what you had written as fact and apply it to something like a four door long bed half ton pickup. Putting the GVWR number of pounds in the bed of the would likely do some real damage to the truck.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #22  
It is a shame that you have to pay so much for small trailers. I am in S Illinois. Not far from here must be the trailer capitol of the midwest. In Sikeston MO you can buy a 16', 7000#, double axle trailer new for $750. It would get old trying to drag one around the yard though.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #23  
I bought a trailer that looks exactly the same as the one in your pixs only it had larger amd wider tires. Did not have the tilt feature of the one your looking at ... but I payed 100 bucks for mine! Its worked like a dog for three years now ... mineoy well spent .. Scozz

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #24  
Right you are Gary. I should have been more specific in my comments.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #25  
<font color="blue"> The plywood sides did not last, and warped badly </font>
I actually carried it quite a bit further than just plywood. The 2x4s for the stakes extended to the top of the sides. Then I "glued and screwed" 1"x2"s around all the edges of the plywood for extra strength without adding much weight. Then I caulked all edges of the plywood to prevent water from getting between the layers. Then added 2 coats of paint. Then when I put the sides on the trailer, I used angle braces in all corners and caulked all seams inside. I did make the tailgate removeable so that I can drive my lawn tractor into it if I want. The reason I went to that trouble is that with a tarp pulled tight, I have a basically waterproof bed that I can haul my camping gear in without having to worry about it getting wet.

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #26  
Price varies area to area. Here in East Texas I looked for several months for a cheao trailer that I could dedicate for hauling fuel on. Nothing fancy, just big enough for what I wanted.

I found this one in the "American Classifieds" free want ads. I look online every Thursday morning for a list of things I want and this one came along. Asking price was $150, but he took $100 cash when offered.

It's 12 feet long, has a 3,500 pound single axle with 15 inch steel rims. Old tires, but they hold air, no lights or wiring, no registration and the hitch needs a hammer to get on and off. No chains and the wood is half rotted. It was in an accident and the side railing is bent, plus plenty of surface rust.

For me, it was perfect!!!!!!!!

I registered it as a farm trailer, paid no tax and the plate costs me $7.50 a year.

Attachments

• 538494-Picture 826.jpg
    538494-Picture 826.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 686
   / Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #27  
I bought/have one of the Haulin' trailers like you are looking at. I bought mine in '99. I believe I only paid $525 for it new /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and it was the next size up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif- thought it didn't have the sideboards. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've done a lot of Haulin' w/ mine. Everything from a PHD to 2000#s+ of gravel (2000+ on the truck & 2000+ on the trailer = 2 ton). I did have to reinforce the tongue after I unloaded my pull-behind lawnmower. It was in a crate and to unload it (I didn't have a tractor at the time just a garden tractor) I tied it off to the car and drove the truck forward. The bed got caught and twisted a little bit - not the trailer's fault though. I also had a forklift driver drop - yes drop about 14" - a load of lumber on it when I was building my shed. Caused one of the cross beams to bend. Ended up being close to 3000lbs. Not bad for a little trailer designed to car 2000lbs. total. BTW, mine sites out year round and the ext. grade plywood is just fine - probably the strongest thing about the hole trailer. I'll be surprised if the way the plywood is aging if it doesn't go another 10 years.

For $525 of though I think the one you are looking at is way over priced. I had offered to sell mine a couple of years ago for $250 when I was looking at another trailer - backed out though when I went to look at the other trailer and I was afraid to walk on it because I thought it was going to fall apart - the frame not the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #28  
Well if the pic works? Here's one I made last summer.
Got about $250 in it.
Might try and make yourself one?
You can buy the axle, wheels.........
then you can say ya made it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Gene
Link to Picture

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #29  
My post is probably too late to help but I agree that you can buy equivilent trailers for less money than that. In TN you can buy 5' X 10' trailers all day for $300 - $350. <font color="blue"> </font>

/ Haulin Trailers (this one in particular) #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A co-worker of mine is selling the attached trailer. It is 52" wide by 96" long tilt. It is made by Haulin (purchased at Lowes in 1996). He is asking $525 for it. It is just the right size to use around my property (7.5 acres). Is it worth the price or what is more reasonable? )</font>

Unless that trailer has some gold plated parts that are not visible it is nowhere near being worth $525.

I've seen the trailers like that at Harbor Freight for a lot less money than that one is: HD 4X8 trailer

I can get a brand new 5x10 with a ramp loading gate in my area for $555, this is with full sized auto tires w/ 14" wheels. Here is a link to what they look like: 5X10 Trailer

I bought a 5x14 single axle trailer for $400. My brother-in-law bought a 5X8 that was used one time to haul a motorcycle from Tennessee on, with new tires, for $300.
I bought a used 4X8 trailer I use behind my ATV for $100.