Have any implement purchase regrets?

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #91  
A few recently are saying regret buying box blade.

I am about to buy one, so why did you regret buying the blade exactly ?

I have a regular grader blade, but it is fairly light, so is prob not much better at moving around gravel than my rake would be.

Was thinking of box blade, so I can move some earth, kind of like a quasi FEL, or mainly for loosening, box blades have rippers, and you could add weight, so they should be able to break up some harder earth then collect in the box to move around, filling in gaps and removing high spots, you would be disappointed if you were thinking it was turning a tractor into a dozer, but I can also see where it may be useful to rip to a shallow depth in an area I may want to sow or till as well, but the depth is limited to about 4 inches.

So, should I get a box blade, or is this thinking madness ?

You really don't need a HEAVY box blade.
I have a KK 5' box blade (447 lbs.), and added almost 400 pounds of lead (free). Plenty heavy for me with 32 HP.

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #92  
I use my box blade quite a bit, but having a top and tilt kit on the tractor makes it much more useful. You're able to adjust for the terrain and can tilt it forward or back to control how much it digs in. I've found the top and tilt kit from fit-rite hydraulics is one of the best purchases I've made. When augering holes you can use the side link cylinder to make the hole vertical even if you're on a little bit of slope and it makes it easier to hook up to the quick hitch.

So far the only implement I haven't used much is my backhoe, but having it for when I need it is as important to me as anything so I guess it's not a regret.

Wondering if I should buy a brush hog, but that's my concern......will I use it enough. We have a small horse farm and don't have that much area that needs brush cleared, but it has to be easier than weed whacking all of it!

I was thinking some of the complaints about the blade may be due to angles.

When i use one, I will want it too dig in :) And collect the dirt.

A top hyd link would be useful, I have rear remotes, but I bet I never end up with one as often I need the link off too, well, TBH, I just need more tractors.

Get some temp fencing and some goats that do not jump or climb, or some dorpers, let them do it, I have often thought about one, but would prob get a finishing mower first, my animals keep everything under control. In saying that, things seem pretty affordable in the states.

For the cheaper brand king cutter does (not sure if US or China made) they are about 1500 bucks AUD for a 6 ft one, slashers/brush hogs are much more expensive for anything half decent, even the cheapies are above 1500 here

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #93  
You really don't need a HEAVY box blade.
I have a KK 5' box blade (447 lbs.), and added almost 400 pounds of lead (free). Plenty heavy for me with 32 HP.

Yeah, I am with you, I meant you can easily find ways to add weight to a box glade cause of shape and frame as opposed to trying to use a regular and comparatively lighter rear blade, and the dirt will end up everywhere and no rippers, I would not even try my rear blade.

Which brings up another question for me, I could prob easily sell my rear blade, I do not have gravel driveways to maintain, so I am not sure I am going to have much use for it really & it's sale price would cover a fair bit of a cheaper box blade (my rear blade is an expensive AUS made one

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #94  
You wont regret a Box blade. Very handy and very good for driveways. The angle blade has other uses, so having both is a good matchup

If your not maintaining driveways, and thinking more toward some minor earth work/moving here and there, could you see other uses for a rear blade ? it does swing to any angle as you say.

I am going to start and make some smaller compost piles, I have the below I could use and no FEL, what do you think could be used in some way for this task...

1 Small roto tiller
2 Smaller sized 3pl rear bucket
3 Rear blade
4 Landscape rake
5 Very large hay rake with approx 3 quarter tynes and 3ft high (this could turn over lots of material if piles were low, but is a pain to get on and off as is huge and heavy)
6 Possibly a box blade (it could prob turn over a bit too, but may get to messy once it spills over top)

I could also get my hands on a 3pl rear bucket that is on a boom, so it could lift from bottom of a pile and dump at top much easier than the one that is close to the 3pl.

One day I will get a tractor like in your avatar with a decent bucket and capacity :)

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #95  
If your not maintaining driveways, and thinking more toward some minor earth work/moving here and there, could you see other uses for a rear blade ? it does swing to any angle as you say.

I am going to start and make some smaller compost piles, I have the below I could use and no FEL, what do you think could be used in some way for this task...

1 Small roto tiller
2 Smaller sized 3pl rear bucket
3 Rear blade
4 Landscape rake
5 Very large hay rake with approx 3 quarter tynes and 3ft high (this could turn over lots of material if piles were low, but is a pain to get on and off as is huge and heavy)
6 Possibly a box blade (it could prob turn over a bit too, but may get to messy once it spills over top)

I could also get my hands on a 3pl rear bucket that is on a boom, so it could lift from bottom of a pile and dump at top much easier than the one that is close to the 3pl.

One day I will get a tractor like in your avatar with a decent bucket and capacity :)
I plow snow with mine, crown my driveway. Install small ditches for drainage, and general grading

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #96  
I just got beat to death at a big on-line auction (Bryons). Lot's of goodies lost out on. Can one have regrets for NOT buying something? Who knows? I need more stuff like another hole in my head!

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #97  
I just got beat to death at a big on-line auction (Bryons). Lot's of goodies lost out on. Can one have regrets for NOT buying something? Who knows? I need more stuff like another hole in my head!

I have been using Auction Time and it seems like stuff is going for the cost of new. Also the auctions don’t seem to be linear. We will get a steady rhythm going on an item $50..$100...$150 and then all of a sudden someone bids $2000.00 any bids after that are automatically outbid and the item ends up selling for more than new.

Something is definitely up with that. I thought I was being paranoid on a couple items but it’s happened now on a bakers dozen.

Sorry for the rant. What other auction sites do you use?

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #98  
I liked the in person auctions. But obviously they can realize a much broader group of suckers on line. This auction had 3000 lots. And regardless of how often you remind yourself, it's hard to remember there is 13% buyers premium and 13% Tax on top of that!

I got no Buffalo turbine blower or Genie Lift, or anything for that matter, but there was much building material and I did get a great deal on engineered flooring for my Lady friends first house, which closes today. At least someone was happy!

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #99  
... automatically outbid and the item ends up selling for more than new.
I went to an estate auction for some T-posts, they had about 400 unused on a pallet. They went for a little over $4 each (plus 10% buyers premium and the same posts were being sold at TSC for $3.19 (and no sales tax with the AG exemption). I don't get it, so I don't go to auctions anymore.

/ Have any implement purchase regrets? #100  
I went to an estate auction for some T-posts, they had about 400 unused on a pallet. They went for a little over $4 each (plus 10% buyers premium and the same posts were being sold at TSC for $3.19 (and no sales tax with the AG exemption). I don't get it, so I don't go to auctions anymore.

You have to know your prices before going.
I've been to auctions at both extremes.
A local dealership went out of business several years ago.
I got an orchard sprayer that listed for almost $20K for $1500, nobody else bid. Original stickers still on it never saw daylight.
That auction just about everything went about $0.10-15 on the dollar.
I've seen other auctions where used, beat junk went for more than new list. Just depends who is there.