Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add?

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #21  
Forget the trucks tire and wheel. The few times I have seen it work the guy gets a new truck in a few years.

Spend the extra $200 for the spare tire and mount.

I second the slide in ramps. My GN had fold up ramps and were always in the way. My current BP has slide in and are much more convenient for me.

Chris

I really like my fold up ramps. They fold up straight so I loose no deck space. My bush hog hangs off the trailer slightly but the ramps are able to clear it. The ramps can be easily removed if needed (maybe a 2 or 3 minute job). My buddy has a trailer with slide in ramps and when we go to the hunting camp to work I load and unload so much quicker. Maybe the OP should have both types of ramps. I guess I should add that I have a utility trailer that I usually keep the gate off to haul lumber, mulch, etc. and primarily use the equipment (car hauler?) to haul the tractor.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #22  
I would go with personal preference on the ramps, I have an 18' with the slide underneath style and I like them when hauling lumber etc. Do not like them (too slow) when I have to take them on and off for hauling equipment. They also do not catch the wind like the ramp tailgate on my 6x10 landscaping trailer.

Personally I would go with a toolbox for the trailer for a battery, chains, and straps.

Have you thought about D-rings for tie downs?

Do they enforce the over 10K trailer rating for CDL's in your area? I personally would stay with 5,000 pound axles for this reason.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add?

Do they enforce the over 10K trailer rating for CDL's in your area? I personally would stay with 5,000 pound axles for this reason.

Why d-rings? Never had any, just always used the stake pockets.

I do not know, already have a class A CDL. I thought it was only 26k total, but could be wrong???

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #24  
I would go with personal preference on the ramps, I have an 18' with the slide underneath style and I like them when hauling lumber etc. Do not like them (too slow) when I have to take them on and off for hauling equipment. They also do not catch the wind like the ramp tailgate on my 6x10 landscaping trailer.

Personally I would go with a toolbox for the trailer for a battery, chains, and straps.

How can they enforce something that doesn't exist?

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #25  
As far as ramps go, it just so happens the used trailer I found in my price range and size happened to be a split tilt. I love it. No ramps in the way and the tilt angle seems almost non existent. I can't imagine a safer way to drive the tractor on the trailer.

/ Having a 20' equipment trailer built, any options to add? #26  
Hard to add to the lists of previous posts. But, a couple of things. I'm not much of a purist for LEDs, but at least the sealed, rubber grommet type lights. Easy to find, and to replace, last long time -- and have a socketed lead. The grounds should be treated like all the hot leads and brought up to a sheltered area in the tongue and mounted to a single grounding stud. Grounds are the ban of about every trailer ever made (at some point).

Don't know if this is part of the plan (don't recall seeing it -- my apologies if so): both axles with brakes.

Though it might not be a possibility, I like common spares. Works for my situation, and there are only a couple of stud sizes used in trucks (and probably only one used in trailers, so may not be much choice).

Never wished for a narrower trailer. And glad I wired in back up lights. Presumably you will be requesting the 7 blade round connector?

You will never have enough tie downs. I like the rub rail on the 2 x 4 stake pockets. Get stake pockets on all four ends (or across the beginning of the dove tail). Nice to keep the little things inside with a set of 2 x 12 side boards. I put the triangle shaped steps on the ends of the fenders on one trailer - placed another triangle above it at the bed height to protect my back up lights (back up lights on something that far back are for seeing where the corners are going anyhow). Worked far better than I had hoped. That and using the no slip step tape.

I don't have a solution, but when I redid the floor I had to break/grind off almost all the screws that held the boards down. Wished there was some way to keep them from rusting in place.

My trailer already had a tongue box for stuff. Simple plate welded between the rails, with a front and rear filler in the vertical and a hinged lid on top (used a long U bolt welded to the frame sticking up through a slot cut in the lid for a locking point).

How about a 12v cigarette lighter output on the tongue? Drop light, etc.