Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #31  
This should be easy & obvious! Buy another tractor and commit one to each implement. Me, personally, I'd buy 2 more just in case tractoring became more fun now.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #32  
Another trick to easing PTO shaft coupling is to use these when the PTO isn't in use.

A spline cover keeps dirt out which can make shaft installation difficult.
Thanks for the link.

I asked my dealer for a mid-pto shaft protector like that a month ago. Two people there had no luck finding a Deere part in their books computer.

Your link gave me the proper words for an eventual successful search for a Deere part number.

I ordered it, received it the next day and it fits perfectly.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #33  
Another trick is to have a tractor for each implement one has ;):cool:😁.
Around here we use Farmall 140s for garden cultivating and some use them to prepare the soil for planting. I have a neighbor that believes in your philosophy. He has 19 of them at last count and uses each one for a different function.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #34  
I have a similar problem. I can get the splines matched up and the coupler slid part-way on but I can't get it to move forward and latch. The tractor is a new L3902, the implement is a new Woods BB60.30 rotary cutter.

The latching collar takes a LOT of force to slide back and it has to slide back square to get all three latching balls to drop out of the way of the PTO stub's splines. Trouble is, that once you get the collar slid back correctly (using both hands) you can't hold it in position with one hand while the other hand tries to move the shaft forward against the rearward force being exerted on the collar. The result, of course, is that one of the latching balls pops up enough to hit a spline and block forward motion.

This brush cutter has been on this tractor once before. It took almost an hour to get the splines lined up and another 45 to get it to latch. Suddenly it just worked, don't know why.

Yesterday the splines got lined up in 15 or 20 minutes, but I never got it to latch. Tried grease and motor oil on both male and female parts of the coupler to no effect. I've got an 11' batwing Woods cutter with a really heavy shaft that's easy compared to this.

This brings me to a question: why couldn't the collar that must be pulled rearward to retract the latching balls, instead be made so it has to be pushed forward? Removal might be a little tougher, but it would seem easier to deal with.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #35  
I have a similar problem. I can get the splines matched up and the coupler slid part-way on but I can't get it to move forward and latch. The tractor is a new L3902, the implement is a new Woods BB60.30 rotary cutter.

The latching collar takes a LOT of force to slide back and it has to slide back square to get all three latching balls to drop out of the way of the PTO stub's splines. Trouble is, that once you get the collar slid back correctly (using both hands) you can't hold it in position with one hand while the other hand tries to move the shaft forward against the rearward force being exerted on the collar. The result, of course, is that one of the latching balls pops up enough to hit a spline and block forward motion.

This brush cutter has been on this tractor once before. It took almost an hour to get the splines lined up and another 45 to get it to latch. Suddenly it just worked, don't know why.

Yesterday the splines got lined up in 15 or 20 minutes, but I never got it to latch. Tried grease and motor oil on both male and female parts of the coupler to no effect. I've got an 11' batwing Woods cutter with a really heavy shaft that's easy compared to this.

This brings me to a question: why couldn't the collar that must be pulled rearward to retract the latching balls, instead be made so it has to be pushed forward? Removal might be a little tougher, but it would seem easier to deal with.
Here is something to try. Don’t worry about pulling the collar back to begin with. Just line up the splines and push the coupler till it stops because of the balls. Now with both hands, one on each side of the coupler, place your thumbs behind the coupler and the rest of your fingers in front of the collar. Now squeeze while pushing with your thumbs till the balls are on the shaft.

As soon as the balls are on the shaft stop fighting trying to hold the collar back, just relax and let go. Now you can simply push the shaft the rest of the way on till the balls fall in the grove. Then pull back on the shaft to make sure it is latched and you are good to go.

You only have to squeeze the collar back for just a second for to get the balls to go on and that is it. Hope that helps.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #36  
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #37  
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
Typically I always shut off tractor before attaching implements to PTO. This allows me to rotate the tractor’s Pto shaft to position I need. Now I will be the first to admit the 1000 RPM splined shaft for MMM with retractable collar is most un friendly connection since splines are far smaller than 540 RPM shaft. I need my sons help to connect this pto yoke, one aligns then one retracts collar after few choice words and arm stretches to reach to the center of tractor underneath we get on for another year. I feel your pain. However 540 shaft is fairly straightforward when tractor is shut off no issues on implement pto shaft installation I can rotate by hand for alignment, my unit has neutral position lever allowing rotation with e-clutch.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #38  
The L3902's PTO shaft appears to lock when the PTO is turned off and stays locked when the tractor is off. PTO brake or something. The PTO stays free or can turn 90 deg. on my other Kubotas(to my recollection), don't know why the 3902 is different. Maybe because I haven't destroyed the brake yet.

Luckily the BB60.30 shaft can be turned by hand to get spline alignment. Would be easier if I raised it out of the grass.

Last edited:
   / Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #39  
I will be the first to admit the 1000 RPM splined shaft for MMM with retractable collar is most un friendly connection since splines are far smaller than 540 RPM shaft. I need my sons help to connect this pto yoke, one aligns then one retracts collar after few choice words and arm stretches to reach to the center of tractor underneath we get on for another year.
I am the same way, but my boys aren't nearby to help.

That is why I bought a second tractor, so I don't have to crawl under it anymore.

The front pto extension will never come off.

/ Having a tuff time installing implements on my CK3510 #40  
I am the same way, but my boys aren't nearby to help.

That is why I bought a second tractor, so I don't have to crawl under it anymore.

The front pto extension will never come off.
I bought two more but one is dedicated to mowing and one has backhoe. The third one I can mount any implements I desire to attach. Unfortunately changing MMM blades on the first is a necessity not like old hay bine that has on board sharpener.