Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #21  
BTDT said:
Soooo, does your wife know your using her blanket/bed spread to lay your parts on:eek:
That's not the half of it. That looks to be her great-grandmother's handmade heirloom patchwork quilt.

I wonder if Rob will ever post again?

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #22  
wushaw said:
RobJ, I don't see reason there to cause a overheating issue.
That head doesn't look bad at all.

That's what I'am thinking I don't see where the head or the gasket would cause his high temp problems :confused: It all looks in very good shape.

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #23  
wushaw said:
RobJ, I don't see reason there to cause a overheating issue.
That head doesn't look bad at all. I wouldn't shave much if any at all, straight edge it, grind valves, check guides...etc and put her back together. I would remove the radiator while you have it torn down and get it rotted & repaired.
I'm with you on this one. This may have been the problem all along. Might as well check water pump condition while he's at it.

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #24  
Great post Rob. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey used to say).

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #25  
When we grind valves we always set the valve protrusions. This is very important on diesel engines as they need compression to run. The typical valve job leaves them recessed to far and it will hinder the power made as well as cold starting. Gas engines have the spark plugs to make the fire, compression makes the explosion for a diesel to run!

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota #26  
MrJimi said:
Way back in the early 60"s, the mechanic told me that the antifreeze would soften all the bearings and it would start to knock real soon. I dont think this was a sales pitch to rebuild an engine.
I dont think water would hurt much but I'm sure the antifreeze is not a good thing
Looks like your doing a nice job.
Jim:)

MrJimi,

I hate to disillusion you about this, but antifreeze in the crank case (just sitting there) won't do a dern thing to the bearings. Now, running the engine with a crank full of antifreeze is a different kettle of fish!

Don't believe me? Get an old bearing from a rebuild shop and plop it into a glass of antifreeze for a week and check it yourself. All antifreeze is ethylene glycol or propylene glycol with surfactants, lubricants, and anti-oxidant additives. None of the ingredients will attack, rust, corrode or even annoy the metals used in bearings, remember those metals are the same ones used to build radiators. Just don't run the engine when the crank is full of anti-freeze.

Merry Christmas!
jb

/ Head Gasket Replacement on my Kubota
Well I'm still alive, patchwork blanket and all. I have no idea where that come from, I don't think it's homemade..I hope. Heck now yall have me scared. Not from my wife, she wants to toss it, but maybe Mom, Sis? I really don't know where it came from.

Ok funny what you remember...and in my case don't. The valves are actually just below the face of the head. Maybe 30-40 thousand. Not much. I picked up the head, and all looks well. The cost was only $70, I was happy, I was preparing for $150. I did find where some extra "stuff" in the gasket set goes. Little metal caps (reminds me of the male part of of a jacket snap...or a bed cover snap. They are heat insulators that go in first in the injector hole. This weekend I'll put the injectors and manufolds back on. I'm thinking about pulling one of the valve springs to just see the job. :D

As far as the overheating, man I have flushed the radiator to no end. But 2 nuts ad a hose and it's off. I'll probably run it as is and check it out. On mine it's really not that hard to pull it. Also remember the temp pick up is all the way in the back, farthest from the radiator, and next to the cylinder with the bad valve and gasket concern.

The water pump. It's this big piece that is about a foot long. $131 it also ain't cheap. In the summer I ran the return hose from the thermo out to the side of the engine. Getting plenty of flow. So I think I'm going to leave it for now. It's sort of a boger to pull no matter what.

So now I'm basically in wait mode until Christmas is over and I can get back up there.

Rob

4 days at the weekend place (!!!!!!) and some time on the old Kubota.

Got the head all preped and ready to go. We got there on Thursday afternoon and after some general stuff my son and I got the head on and torqued down. Did some other stuff after dinner....

And the pics...

Attachments

• 2001-head1.JPG
    2001-head1.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,364
  • 2001-head.JPG
    2001-head.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 2001-head (3).JPG
    2001-head (3).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,427
Interesting little o-ring on the head. OK but it's there and new!!

Also these caps on the valve stems...

Attachments

• 2001-head (2).JPG
    2001-head (2).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 2001-head (3).JPG
    2001-head (3).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 2001-head (4).JPG
    2001-head (4).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,182
The we torqued down the head and completed the install.

Attachments

• 2001-head (5).JPG
    2001-head (5).JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 2001-head (6).JPG
    2001-head (6).JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 2001-head (7).JPG
    2001-head (7).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,058