Hearing Aid advice

/ Hearing Aid advice #21  
Most things already covered before but a few comments..
The longer you don't hear certain sounds f's, s's p's,q's and the like the more your brain forgets them and becomes hard for you to recognize them again even with aids.
The price is determined by a huge markup, but they expect to and will cut it drastically. Most of the price is for tune up service which is needed since your hearing will continue to change as you age. Most decent one include a hearing test each year, clean up and tuning as often as you need it for the life of the aid. Warrenties vary on the hardware and effect the price a little.
There are advantages and dissadvantages of all types whether behind the ear or in the ear. Open ear buds versus closed has to do with frequency loss. High frequency loss, which most of us have along with tinnitus normally requires molded pieces in the ears to recover some of the high frequency. The ear pieces have to be well fit to avoid feedback whistle. This often causes excess ear wax build up so you spend a lot of time boiling out your ears with peroxide or a combination of peroxide and olive oil. As the wax builds the tinnitus become worse as does your hearing.
The digital behind the ear type are the most powerful and I find to be the most confortable. Some people are too vain to wear this type, but to me the hearing is what counts.
Digitals are multiprogrammable and this is very good for different environments.
You can push a button on the aid or click a remote in your pocket and change to a program that is tuned to cut out background sounds in public places, or to one set up to receive from the front and help more of the frequencies from TV speakers. There are even "blue tooth" devices to receive and retransmit to your aids, but a lot of clap trap that shouldn't be required if you have a person that knows how to properly program the aids to your real world.
The batteries are "air batteries" Once you pull the protective tape off the back and install them the clock begins, whether you use them or not. More hours use does shorten the time also.
Moisture, wax, and dirt, as well as physical abuse are the worst enemies.
It doesn't take much activity, beyond the chair, to get moisture build up in the tubes. Airing the aids out at night is very important to the longevity.
Hearing aids sure don't give you perfect hearing, but to me are worth the bother and inconvenience just to cover up part of the tinnitus, and to not have to be saying "what's that" all the time when somebody tries to talk to me. It is great to hear the birds again and to be able to participate in conversations at family get togethers.

/ Hearing Aid advice #22  
I have the behind the ear type. For cleaning I found that an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner works great. I put just a splash of simple green in and they come out spotless. I blow out the "wires" with compressed computer gas. Of course, don't put the electronics in or your sounds might turn "muddy"

COSTCO has the best deal on batteries. Less than $10 per 30 batteries.

/ Hearing Aid advice #23  
The price is determined by a huge markup, but they expect to and will cut it drastically. Most of the price is for tune up service which is needed since your hearing will continue to change as you age. Most decent one include a hearing test each year, clean up and tuning as often as you need it for the life of the aid. Warrenties vary on the hardware and effect the price a little.

This is very true. I was going to mention the tune ups in my post but got sidetracked. Our child has had the HA's adjusted multiple times and we are not charged. Notice I did not say it was free. :D It was prepaid. :laughing:

I completely forgot about the insurance but that was part of the price as well.

Later,
Dan

/ Hearing Aid advice #24  
My Beltone lady never said anything about doing tune-ups or cleaning, but anytime I've thought they needed anything, including re-programming, she's done it and never charged anything.

/ Hearing Aid advice #25  
My Beltone lady never said anything about doing tune-ups or cleaning, but anytime I've thought they needed anything, including re-programming, she's done it and never charged anything.

My old analogs, all inside the ear, 2 channel, which lasted 6 years were scheduled for every 6 months. I still use them outside when doing tractor work, logging, or whatever, as if I lose one it is now no big deal.
The new ones, digital, 16 channel, 4 programs, BTE type, we thought could go 6 months but by then the clear tubes from the ear molds to the units behind the ears get stiff which makes the ear molds pull back out of the ear some particularly when on the phone from the phone pushing against them. So a 3 month tube change and cleanup is better, which my vendor will do, or more often if needed.. They use a vibra-vac to get any wax out of the microphones and check the electronics and my adjustment curves against the computer file plus do any tweaking that I request. Blowing canned air in there might clog the wax even more against the mike's.
There are only 2 companies that make the majority of hearing aids for most vendors. The different models and features are comparible. The main differences in price relate to the deal you can swing and the services included.

/ Hearing Aid advice #26  
There are only 2 companies that make the majority of hearing aids for most vendors.

Not true - there are at least 2 dozen manufacturers. Hearing-Aid-Manufacturers

However -
All Beltone Hearing Aids are made by GN Resound,
All Miracle Ear Hearing Aids are made by Siemens
Audibel & NuEar Hearing Aids are made by Starkey
EARQ, HEARX, SONUS, AMPLIFON, AVADA, & AUDIGY all sell hearing aids made by major manufacturers but, they are private labeled for each company

/ Hearing Aid advice #27  
Not true - there are at least 2 dozen manufacturers. Hearing-Aid-Manufacturers

However -
All Beltone Hearing Aids are made by GN Resound,
All Miracle Ear Hearing Aids are made by Siemens
Audibel & NuEar Hearing Aids are made by Starkey
EARQ, HEARX, SONUS, AMPLIFON, AVADA, & AUDIGY all sell hearing aids made by major manufacturers but, they are private labeled for each company

Majority means over 50% not how many total manufacturers at any given time.

/ Hearing Aid advice #28  
Here's a thread that I started four years ago, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/120632-hearing-aids.html and I'm still wearing them. The brand I have is Audifon, made in Germany and have been worth the $1600 or $1800 that I paid for them. They use the 312 batteries and they last pretty long. I've found that the store brand batteries from Rite Aid last longer than the Eveready. I've had them back to the seller twice for cleaning and then went in to get a new hearing test and the hearing aids adjusted with different "blossoms" that fit in my ear and all no charge. I mostly wear mine when I am going to be in a crowd or to church. Glad I have them and they still have the capability for a couple of more adjustments as my hearing gets worse.

/ Hearing Aid advice #29  
So this thread is 4 months old, but day before yesterday, I went to see my Beltone lady for a new hearing test and she re-programmed my 6 year old hearing aids, which helps some. However, I ordered new hearing aids, too, that are supposed to be a lot better, so we'll see when they come. All the manufacturers seem to keep using newer and newer technology; just wish they weren't so expensive. And of course, my hearing continues to deteriorate. I know a number of you use BTE type and are happy with them, but I tried them and decided against it for me.

/ Hearing Aid advice #30  
what was that?