Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I currently use over the ear muffs. They work great and are comfortable. I am a hobby user of the tractor and it is open station.

I would really like to listen to music when I am out mowing for hours. I just cannot get ear buds to be comfortable under the muffs. Tried different brands of buds etc.

Any one use any kind of noise canceling headphones? I'd really like to be able to hook it up to my iphone and listen to pandora.

/ Hearing protection #2  
I just bought the 3M AM/FM Work Tunes without blue tooth and they work great. Clear reception on FM stations and does a really good job blocking out the tractor noise.

/ Hearing protection #3  
Music is generally a distraction when operating a tractor. High decibel restrictive hearing devices still allow sensitivity to changes in engine noise or implement production while still providing protection. Solicited opinions don't necessarily coincide w/ expectations. Might be a better thread for the safety forum?

/ Hearing protection #4  
I use the 3M Work Tunes with bluetooth and love them.

Music is generally a distraction when operating a tractor. High decibel restrictive hearing devices still allow sensitivity to changes in engine noise or implement production while still providing protection. Solicited opinions don't necessarily coincide w/ expectations. Might be a better thread for the safety forum?

Even with music playing with my ear muffs, I can hear changes in tractor and implement noises.

/ Hearing protection #5  
I use the 3M Work Tunes with bluetooth and love them.

I've heard many people recommend these. When my current ones need replacing I may give them a try but I like to be plugged in for better sound. Like everything else, I'll compare both to be sure.

I use earbuds when cutting grass, for me it is too sweaty to use my cans.

Sometimes I use foam plugs and after 3 hours in, it is amazing how loud the quiet country is once you remove them :laughing:

/ Hearing protection #6  
I currently use over the ear muffs. They work great and are comfortable. I am a hobby user of the tractor and it is open station.

I would really like to listen to music when I am out mowing for hours. I just cannot get ear buds to be comfortable under the muffs. Tried different brands of buds etc.

Any one use any kind of noise canceling headphones? I'd really like to be able to hook it up to my iphone and listen to pandora.
I generally use a 29 or 30 decibel rated pair of muffs AND EAR BUDS. But I don't put the buds in my ears, rather I press them down between the foam and the housing inside the muffs and loop the wire so it doesn't bother me.

I have not tried any true buds without wires like featured here because they are too expensive for me.

I've also got a pair of 3M worktunes w/ BT & radio, I like them because my present cell phone doesn't have FM radio.

/ Hearing protection #8  
I also like the WorkTunes hearing protection with bluetooth. I usually listen to Pandora, and don’t find it to be a distraction.

/ Hearing protection #9  
I also use the Worktunes without bluetooth. They work great for me but the plug in was scratchy so I don't use the plug on my phone. I have a light weight broad brimmed hat I was given when I had a blue light treatment done on my face so I cut a hole in that for my antenna to stick through.

If I was concerned about missing a phone call I would probably get the bluetooth version without the built in radio. That would also eliminate the antenna sticking up.

/ Hearing protection #10  
I like to hear everything going on with the implement and tractor. Little squeaks or groans could turn into more if not attended to. Music would seem a distraction to me.