Hearing Protection

/ Hearing Protection #11  
Whenever anyone is around (so I can hear them) or it is cold I use my Pro Ears. I found out about them hear two years ago. Also sometimes I use the foam ear plugs.

The Pro Ears also really helped me on the shooting range to hear the instructors directions and next shooting sequence, and then blocks out the "Bang"! Nice!

/ Hearing Protection #12  
Foams have a better protection rating then custom made! The best protection is foams with muffs and then it only improves the protection by 5db.

/ Hearing Protection #13  
<font color="blue"> Either you want to hear what's going on or you want to keep your eharing. </font>
No offense meant...This might have been true at one time but products like the ProEars mentioned earlier in this thread protect hearing while still allowing you to hear. Click Here for an explanation of how it works.

/ Hearing Protection #14  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> Either you want to hear what's going on or you want to keep your eharing. </font>
No offense meant...This might have been true at one time but products like the ProEars mentioned earlier in this thread protect hearing while still allowing you to hear. Click Here for an explanation of how it works. )</font>

Your absolutely right Mike. I also have a set of those type of muffs. I don't like wearing them in the woods as they are much heavier than my light muffs. I wear them in the shop when I am more stationary so I can listen to my Rock music.

/ Hearing Protection #15  
I can hear my ACDC,VANHALEN,OZZY OSBOURNE,andLEDZEPPLIN cds better,if i put my headphones inside a set of hearing muffs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It drowns out the noise of them darn moters,and the old lady when shes screaming at me from the porch /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
ALAN

/ Hearing Protection #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can hear my ACDC,VANHALEN,OZZY OSBOURNE,andLEDZEPPLIN cds better,if i put my headphones inside a set of hearing muffs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It drowns out the noise of them darn moters,and the old lady when shes screaming at me from the porch /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
ALAN )</font>

Why is it they actually think we can hear them screaming at us when we are using a loud piece of equipment with ear muffs on??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I thought something was wrong with the saw the first time I heard that offesive screeching....I shut the saw down and removed the head gear and yup I was right...there was something broken... I fixed it ..she is an ex-wife now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh yea I wear muffs, foamies, and wrap around head band foamies, I like the Peltor music tunes when the weather will allow it.

/ Hearing Protection #17  
I use these. Have used them (or similar design) for years. They are very comfortable, fairly inexpensive and sturdy. Plus, they are easy to wash and reuse.

I found them years ago when I was playing a lot of rock-n-roll. Tried a bunch of different kinds but this design worked the best for me. One of the bands I was with rehearsed in a conrete warehouse and was just INCREDIBLY stage loud. Would remove the cord and cut off part of the length so they weren't noticeable.

They are good for chainsaws, mowers, tractorin' and obnoxious drummers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I tried the foam ones, but found after a while they would loosen. Also, it seemed like once I took them out had to throw away because I could not get them to fit right again.

/ Hearing Protection #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you where hearing protection? If so, what kind?

I haven't been using any because I want to hear what's going on with the tractor and the mower. )</font>

I've concluded the opposite. When I wear hearing protection, I can detect subtle changes in sound that I don't notice without the hearing protection. I wear hearing protection when the tractor is running, or the mower is running, or the table saw is running. In all cases, I have a better awareness of the engine than without. Counter intuitive, but that's been my experience.

Cliff

/ Hearing Protection #19  
I will be serious now,just clowning before.I WORK in a very noisy planing mill,so im very alert about my hearing osha makes us be tested yearly,and i wouldnt want to be put behind a desk so i have to protect myself even outside of work.Some think as long as the planing room door is closed ,that comes into my lumber grading area ,your ok.WRONG They strapped this noise tester on us,In the whole lumber operation,you would think the loadest noise would be the PLANER OR THE CHIPPER.It was the boards landing on my grading chain in front of me.thought you might find this interesting.I use foam plugs,has the best protection ratings,muffs also when its cold out,to hot in summer.Another note if you wear hearing protection,you are less tired at the end of the day
Remember ,plugs aint worth a hoot if you dont put them in right.There are different sizes for different ears.The foam ones you need to roll them in your fingers before you shove em in,then they expand in your ears.In the cold you got to warm them up[blow on em ]first.Another tip:leave them in your jeans pockets,when they come out of the washer as good as new.
TRACTOR;use earplugs running chipper only
atv:yes
snowmobile:yes
chainsaw:yes
wood splitter:yes
grinders:yes
with kids in backseat of car: thinking of it

OH YEAH I CAN HEAR THE RADIO BETTER AT WORK WITH EAR PLUGS;GO FIGURE
ALAN

/ Hearing Protection #20  
I'm with Cliff and some of the others. I use it because I can hear better in a noisy environment with them. It seems like they cut out background noise and I can actually hear what is in my immediate area better. I have lost a lot of hearing at a fairly young age (I'm a '71 model) and I would like to hang on to what I have left. Also, a lot of folks don't realize how much noise is around us all the time because we are 'used' to it. I bet even the A/C window unit in our Electronics office here wouldn't pass OSHA's db level test.