Hearing Protection

/ Hearing Protection #21  
I did not use hearing protection in my younger days while operating noisy equipment or while target shooting. Now that I will soon be 50 and have lost a fair amount of my hearing I wish I had. To help save what hearing I have I use muffs for target shooting and operating chainsaws chippers etc. and I have the foam ones I use for mowing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hearing Protection #22  
Here's an interesting website on noise and hearing loss; although much of it has already been stated here.
One thing to watch is the decibel rating on your hearing protection. (Cotton really doesn't do much for protection from long term damage.)

Like many here, I grew up around chainsaws, snowmobiles, tractors, and the like; back in the '60s, nobody knew about safety precautions. Now instead the "voices" some people hear. I constantly have a ringing in my ears. Ironically certain pitches bother me more than most people; I.E., I can often drive past people's houses and tell if their TV is on becaused of the high-pitched squeal certain brands make; and firing my .22 revolver causes EXCRUCIATING pain. That's why both of my trucks have disposable ear inserts in the glove box, as well as a set of headset hearing protection.

/ Hearing Protection #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I did not use hearing protection in my younger days while operating noisy equipment or while target shooting. Now that I will soon be 50 and have lost a fair amount of my hearing I wish I had. To help save what hearing I have I use muffs for target shooting and operating chainsaws chippers etc. and I have the foam ones I use for mowing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Same here. Worked around noisy equipment (chainsaws, mowers, welding shop, etc.) without using. Actually no-one used them. Two years ago I developed Tinnitus at 69yoa. Picked up some muffs and won't run equipment with out them anymore. I have pair that never leaves the PU so can't forget them when using the saws. Also use the same ones when running the splitter. When I shut the saw down for whatever reason, the muffs get clipped to the handle. I have another set that hangs on the mower. No excuse for not wearing them. Didn't think I had lost any hearing but noticed after the tinnitus developed that I have a problem following conversations in a crowd. Once you loose some hearing it is gone forever.

As for hearing what is happening with a motor or other equipment, yes, it is clearer with the muffs on.

Harry K
Harry K

/ Hearing Protection #24  
Even with hearing protection, I got the ringing after years of working at the end of the runway with Air Force fighter jets screaming by 100 feet overhead.
Now, its hard to follow a conversation in a crowded restaurant or if there's a TV in the background. Sometimes the ringing gets so loud, it wakes me up from a sound sleep.
I definitely don't want this to get any worse. I wear muffs and plugs. I've gotten so used to it, I can still detect changes in the sound of the tractor.
Trust me, this ringing is a real pain. Y'all do NOT want to find out what its like. Protect your hearing!

/ Hearing Protection #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ringing is a real pain )</font>

It's called tinnitus and I first saw a doctor about mine in '81 or '82. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And you're right; you want to protect your hearing before you wind up wearing two hearing aids like I do. And if two people talk at the same time, or someone's talking while the TV is going, I probably won't understand either of them.

/ Hearing Protection #26  
I also wear hearing-aids (on my 3rd set). I don't operate any equipment without some hearing protection. I wish I had more sense when I was younger. Now even with hearing aids my wife and kids have to tell me what my grandkids are attempting to tell me. I also would like to re-introduce myself, I believe it has been over 2 years since I have posted on this site (new job responsibilities, Company being sold, grandkids coming along & etc)

genelp

/ Hearing Protection #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( even with hearing aids my wife and kids have to tell me what my grandkids are attempting to tell me )</font>

Yep, of course I have the same problem. I can't understand what most children are saying, don't watch TV shows that have children in them, and in fact, don't watch much on TV that isn't closed captioned.

/ Hearing Protection #28  
Times I'm almost antisocial as I can't understand whats being said in a crowd or a place with lots of background noise. Very much dislike attending functions with lots of people because of this.

Use headphones for watching TV.

And worst of all it's not a selective hearing loss! : /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Egon

/ Hearing Protection #29  
When I'm operating the tractors, a chainsaw, weed eater, etc., I wear the same plugs I use at work, rubbery inserts. The paper machine is way louder than any of my at home stuff, and they seem to be sufficient there. I do use the foam ones when I know I'm going to be shooting something.
They test our hearing every year at work, too. For twenty years mine has been slowly getting better. The Loss Prevention people are at a loss, I know that it's because I'm getting more practice. There's a rhythm to their tester.
Wm

/ Hearing Protection #30  
ever find your self holding up a finger,to signify you hear the tone only to find out the test had already ended! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ALAN