Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #81  
OK here's what I don't get. All manufactures have the latest computers, the latest CAD drawing software, the latest of everything YET all manufacturers come up short in various areas.

This has been going on for decades - how is that? How is it that one manufacturer can built a diesel truck that overheats from day one and is actually released to the public and the internet lights up with hundreds of people with the same overheating problem?

How is it that another manufacturer has a great engine but the tranny is garbage?

How is it that a manufacturer knows it has bad front end components yet still makes the truck.

I'm not bashing one manufacturer because they are all guilty. I mean come on, keep building components that work and redo the things that don't how hard is that, but nope, year after year truck A is better than truck B and truck B is better next year and now truck C is better than them all?

They say they test these trucks, well if they do how do they go out the door overheating or with bad front ends and trannies. Let me test a truck I'll tell you pretty quickly what will hold up and what won't.

Is it economics? They figure build a truck for all the grocery runs and then just apologize to the guy that drives on gravel roads and uses 4WD every day. After all the numbers are in favor of more people buying truck to get groceries that beat them up on country roads, I guess?

This is precisely why I have said before that there is no best truck. The Dodge is certainly not better than the Ford or Chevy, the Chevy is most certainly not better than the Ford or Dodge and the Ford is most certainly not better than the Dodge or Chevy. Each manufacturer makes a truck that is the best for some people. They are all good and capable vehicles. Some trucks work better for some people while others work better for others. It's as simple as that really.

As for all of the CDL talk, I don't see why that subject always comes up the way that it does. If you are not engaged in commercial purposes while towing, it doesn't much matter. So if you want to tow a 20,000 trailer with your backhoe on it to help your cousin do some work around his house, go ahead since you're not engaged in commercial activity you don't need a CDL. Same thing about taking your equipment in for service, if you're not engaged in commercial activity then why does it become an issue? The reality is that most people who are going to be towing anything heavy for commercial purposes are probably going to have CDL's anyway.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #82  
The above post sums it up.

Chris

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #83  
As for all of the CDL talk, I don't see why that subject always comes up the way that it does. If you are not engaged in commercial purposes while towing, it doesn't much matter. So if you want to tow a 20,000 trailer with your backhoe on it to help your cousin do some work around his house, go ahead since you're not engaged in commercial activity you don't need a CDL. Same thing about taking your equipment in for service, if you're not engaged in commercial activity then why does it become an issue? The reality is that most people who are going to be towing anything heavy for commercial purposes are probably going to have CDL's anyway.

This isn't the case in many places as there isn't always an exemption for personal use.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #84  
This isn't the case in many places as there isn't always an exemption for personal use.

Luckily for some of us there are exemptions...The reply I got back from the Idaho DOT about trailer weight and license classes.

There are no weight restrictions for a Class D license if the trailer and equipment is used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-business or recreational purposes. This is stated in Section 49-302(4), Idaho Code. 49-302 also exempts farmers from CDL requirements. Type of trailer does not matter.

The relevant section:

(4) Any person is exempt from obtaining a class A, B or C license to operate a commercial vehicle which is exclusively used to transport personal possessions or family members for nonbusiness or recreational purposes.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #85  
This is precisely why I have said before that there is no best truck. The Dodge is certainly not better than the Ford or Chevy, the Chevy is most certainly not better than the Ford or Dodge and the Ford is most certainly not better than the Dodge or Chevy. Each manufacturer makes a truck that is the best for some people. They are all good and capable vehicles. Some trucks work better for some people while others work better for others. It's as simple as that really.

Excellent post.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #86  
anyone else notice all the "heavy duty" trucks are still LT trucks?

as i clicked the link i was hopeing for a show down of F450,F550,F650 and similar trucks.
anything rev'ing over 2500rpm isnt heavy duty to me... Those sure are heavy pickup trucks, but not heavy duty... :)

Is it economics? They figure build a truck for all the grocery runs and then just apologize to the guy that drives on gravel roads and uses 4WD every day. After all the numbers are in favor of more people buying truck to get groceries that beat them up on country roads, I guess?
yep, thats what i mean. They are all designed for an intended buyer public. When you design something that will get sold only to commercial users, you know you're going to be measured for the cost over about a million miles of full loads. When designing a pickup truck, horsepower bragging rights and electric butt heaters in the seat, will result in more sales at lower cost price (=profit) than building the best truck.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #87  
The reality is that most people who are going to be towing anything heavy for commercial purposes are probably going to have CDL's anyway.

Another reality is that if the professional driver was a danger to anyone else out there on the road, he'd soon get fired and only the good will stay in business, so the problem takes care of itself even if there wasnt a law... That while there isnt even a law that restricts the clumsy weekend warrior that doesnt know what he's doing ???

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #88  
Luckily for Dodge, those who want to sit in front of Home Depot or the grocery store "bragging" about their trucks can go buy those Ford/GM trucks while those who "work" them can still pickup a RAM.
I'll take a "medium-duty" diesel rated for over 500k miles before rebuild making "only" 650 lb.ft over a brand new diesel made by a company with very little experience in diesel manufacturing or a japanese made diesel plagued with recalls any day!

As far as max towing capacity (staying UNDER 26k GCWR):
Ford F-350 - 15,700 lbs (23,400 lbs GCWR)
GM 3500HD - 17,800 lbs (24,500 lbs GCWR)
Dodge RAM 3500 - 17,600 lbs (25,400 lbs GCWR) <-2011 model rumored to match cab/chassis 18,850 lbs towing / 26,000 GCWR
I know it's tough to see since they are all so close but it looks like Dodge is not the one "trailing"...
You need to fix your charted weights. Fords and Chevys can both go right up to the 26K line and keep on going. Dodge stops at 25400, period. Right off of the link to GM that you posted.

And as I've posted before, 7 mile long 5% grade, Dodge Ram dually Diesel will get out run by a Chevy 8.1L gas engine pulling the same GCWs.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #90  
Plus you can be non-comm and get stopped just so they can make sure you are non-comm.

One has to wonder how you prove or disprove that you are commercial.