Oil & Fuel Help! Fuel Starvation?

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #11  
Yes the fuel bowl should be full.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation?
Victory! It looks like the problem was junk clogged up in the intake of the fuel bowl assembly. It never made it to the fuel bowl, clogged up in the 90 degree elbow. Thanks for all y'alls help. I decided to track the flow of fuel. It was pouring out the line from the tank to the fuel bowl. When I attached it to the fuel bowl assembly and opened the flow, it barely dripped. Any fuel in the bowl was being sucked in from the fuel pump. I used and air compressor and blew into the fuel bowl assembly and held my finger on the fuel line entrance nozzle. BINGO! Below is a picture of the gunk/junk that came out. And of course a nice pic of a full filled fuel bowl!

IMG_1142.jpgIMG_1143.jpg
Thanks Again!

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #13  
That is some serious gunk from your fuel tank for 150 hours. The next time you are real low on fuel drain the tank to get rid of any remaining "crud". Might not be a bad plan to blow the fitting ou again at that time just to be on the safe side.
Now get some serious seat time doing whatever your most fun thing is. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Smilinjak

/ Help! Fuel Starvation?
Oh I did. The fuel was pretty low in the tank so I drained it and cleaned it out good. I Attached a small flexible hose to a vacuum clean and sucked all the crud from the valleys in the tank. It was pretty bad but not as bad as I was expecting from the crud I blew out of the assembly. I'm guessing this crud came from the previous owner as I bought it with 82 hours and always fuel-up with a filtered funnel. I inspected by fuel cans for crud as well. Hopefully no more fuel flow problems for a while!

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #15  
Oh I did. The fuel was pretty low in the tank so I drained it and cleaned it out good. I Attached a small flexible hose to a vacuum clean and sucked all the crud from the valleys in the tank. It was pretty bad but not as bad as I was expecting from the crud I blew out of the assembly. I'm guessing this crud came from the previous owner as I bought it with 82 hours and always fuel-up with a filtered funnel. I inspected by fuel cans for crud as well. Hopefully no more fuel flow problems for a while!
Good thinking, you should be ready to work with your tractor instead of on it. Enjoy your seat time..
Smilinjak

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #16  
Not to hijack, but we are having the same problems with a 1540. Where the devil is the tank outlet to the filter bowl? If we blow back to the tank from the filter the fuel starts to run fine for a few minutes, then tapers off. Can't see/ find where the line leaves the tank to remove/ change it. Going to crank up the shop vac but its snowing like mad and we are outside!

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #17  
Siphon or pumpm as much fuel out of the tank as possible, then with the line pointed to a suitable container apply compressed air to the tank filler opening. You will have to stuff rags around the blow gun to get a partial seal. Keep the pressure low so you don't rupture the tank. When you have the tank drained as much as possible use Kyakers shop vac method. If that doesn't cure the problem you have a fuel ine problem that will require a replacement. Good luck...
Smilinjak

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #18  
We have drained and used the shop vac. Taken whole fuel filter assembly apart and cleaned it. We expect that part of the problem could be solved if we could remove the line from the tank BUT we cannot find where it leaves the tank.
I am working with the tractor owner ( my bil) in his driveway so don't want to start something that would be better done in a heated shop.
We reassembled and fuelled up. Things seem OK, but he tried some of these things last week and after two hours the hose plugged again. Hope the shop vac did the trick as the end of the supply hose is getting rather ragged from him using pliers on it. Love to stick in a newer, longer hose.

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #19  
I am not familiar with your make and model tractor so can't advise on the location of the tank end of the hose. It is possible that it comes out the top of the tank through a pickup tube, known as "top draw", in which case some shrouding body panel(s) might have to be removed to access it. The owner needs to invest in a wrench or two to fit the fuel line fittings at least. Pliers can crack the brass causing air or fuel leaks. Niether of which does anything good for performance. Hope the threapy you have used so far takes care of the problem at least until the weather is more favorable.
Smilinjak

/ Help! Fuel Starvation? #20  
They are just low pressure rubber lines with spring clamps, probably 1/4".
They went to plow snow again today and half way through the tractor quit again. Pulled the filter bowl off and removed to more blades of grass that had moved down from the tank. Must still be some crud in there, just don't know how or why.....
At least now they won't bother looking for other causes such as water in the fuel.