Help! - I am gunshy!!!

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #1  

veresjwv

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400-HST
I have a 2009 Kubota L3400 and I am coming up on my first oil change..... No, I am not asking about what oil or filter to use, my manual is very straight forward as to vicosity and rating of the oil and my mind is made up to use Kubota filters probably forever. I also had no questions untill I started reading
the hundreds of posts about all the different opinions about oil changes and all the scary things that could happen. The technical information is unbelievable, hence my question.....OIL ADDITIVES - I have always used a product made by LUCAS. I have used it in my trucks, cars, lawn mowers without blinking an eye and have had great results but now I am gunshy as to use it in the Kubota. I have not seen any posts even mentioning oil additives, is this because it is a very bad idea or simply because it is not needed. I sure would like some input on this, I don't want to do anything that would be harmful to my baby. I am so glad TBN is here to help people like me out.

Thanks - Joe

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #2  
Generally people use lucas or other types of additives in engines that are getting wore out. I know the bottle says it won't void warranties and all, but the answer is no you don't need any oil additives. Just use the recomended oil all by itself and you'll be fine.

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #3  
SUDT and forget the frills. SUDT will do exactly what it is supposed to do, as recommended.

For an additional look see:

Messick's Farm Equipment Service

Look at some of the pictorials if your manual leaves you guessing (as the B7800 leaves a lot to be desired).

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #4  
veresjwv,
I see you are in the piedmont area...if you won't want to spend the additional cost for "S"UDT, the regular UDT will work to. SUDT was designed for extended low temperature operation which we don't seem to have to long a span of around the peidmont area.

An you just reminded me that I also have to do my oil change service now to :eek: Thanks...:D

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #5  
I have used Lucas grar oil additive with great results, and I think they make a good product. BUT...... you just don't need to add anything when doing a service on your new Kubota. Just use a quality oil and the specified filters. Nothing extra needed.

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #6  
You will find two schools of thought:
1. If the manufacturer thought you needed additives for proper operation and longevity, they would recommend and specify them (their own brand of course!). you only need to follow the recommended service intervals with the specified quality fluids.
2. Additives are great insurance against premature aging, improve performance, improve fuel economy, and improve your sex life.

I subscribe to the former.

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!! #7  
In 1964 I bought my first car. It was a 1935 Dodge 4 door sedan. It burned a quart of oil every few miles and you could see where it had driven for 20 minutes after it went by unless the wind was real strong. You could smell it for 30 minutes. I did put Motor Honey in it and it burned it just as well as it did the recycled oil in bottles, just cost a lot more. Since then I have bought over 120 personal cars/trucks. Have never put anything other than good oil in them and "they have done a good job" for me. Don't know what that means when people use these additives and say they have done a good job for them when 99% of owners never put anything in their vehicles and don't have problems. Maybe they mean they haven't "caused" any documented problems. I've bought 9 Kubotas in 6 years and don't use anything but what the owners manual says and "they have done a good job" for me. I don't put 1000 hours a year on one so I can't say how they will last long term. You long termers that don't use additives step forth and long termers that do use additives also step forth.

/ Help! - I am gunshy!!!
I want to thank everyone for the great info, I plan not to use the additive, but..... this leads me to another question. Most oil additves - are they just gimmicks, a waste of money? As I said earlier I have noticed a difference when I use it in my other motors ie, more quiet, less fuel consumption and something I can't prove but it is supposed to prevent dry starts which has to be bad for an engine. Do you think this is a bunch of baloney?

Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
   / Help! - I am gunshy!!! #10  
If you have a mechanically sound engine, (regardless of what engine), you are wasting your money with oil additives. As previously stated, oil additives are a band aid fix to prolong the life of a worn out engine. Most new engines are specifying very light weight oils due to very tight tolerances, you actually do damage by adding additives or running the wrong weight oil. Stick to the recommended spec and service intervals and your machine will give you years of reliable service.