Help identifying hydraulic ports

/ Help identifying hydraulic ports
Hi I didn't add a T, I had them in series.
I had the hose marked blue going in to the "In" port on my new valve, a hose from the "Out" port of the new valve going to where the blue hose was originally.

My new valve is open centered. So with the new valve attached I can operate the original controls just fine. It appears the original controls are not open centered as operating the new valve does nothing unless I also operate the original control at the same time. It appears the original control only allows flow when it is operated.

I'm 'thinking' blue and yellow supply the controls and red is the return. I thought blue and yellow would both flow continuously, and be diverted by the original controls. In which case I could tap in to either to operate my grappler. In fact what I am seeing, or think I am seeing, is blue and yellow have no flow until you move the original control level.

This is the valve:
Quality Farm Supply - OTS-SCV1 CONVERTA VALVE O/CTR

/ Help identifying hydraulic ports #13  
If you pull the cover off your old valve, I think you will find that the ports are identified by castings cast right into the body. I think yellow will be "in" and red will be "out" or "tank" and blue will be "power beyond". The "power beyond" is the only thing that will be changed on the old valve. It needs to go to the "in" on the new valve. And then the "power beyond" of the new valve needs to go to where the "power beyond" of the old valve used to go. And the "out" on the new valve can be T'd in with the "out" on the old valve.

The link you supplied for your new valve does not appear to have "power beyond" capabilities. And you will need a valve that does.
DRL

Thank you DRL.
Can you recommend a valve I should get to make this work.

/ Help identifying hydraulic ports #17  
ponyuk,

If the valve you installed is an open center valve with PB, then it should work.

Your FEL valve, with PB, will have 7 hoses if it is operational, to connect additional valves.

If you the connect the new valve ports correctly, they should work.

Thanks JJ. It looks like the new valve I have is Open Center, but is not Power Beyond.
I ordered a Power Beyond compatible valve. Hopefully this will be all I need to do.

I need to read up on PB. I cant get my head around why I need a special valve. I imagined hydraulic oil was flowing through my FEL valve at all times, and was simply diverted when I moved the lever. Logic says tapping in to that flow would allow me to divert the flow to my new valve, and have it take its normal path when not in use (as my new valve is open center). I'll read up on PB and see why my understanding is flawed :confused2:

One other question. As the grappler will not be in use all the time, I'd like to be able to remove it. Would this be a case of using a couple of quick connects and simply unplugging it, I dont need to connect the two disconnected ends together?

/ Help identifying hydraulic ports #20  
Are you talking about leaving the valve on the tractor and disconnecting the lines to the cylinder? If you are talking about the lines going to cylinder, no, but if you activate the valve with them removed you will deadhead the pump. Better to put them together to protect pump and keep the QC's clean.