Buying Advice Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor....

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #11  
Just my opinion, but unless your husband has some expansion plans up his sleeve, I'm not seeing that you have a need for a "subcompact" tractor. That's a real tractor reduced in size so it's almost as small as a lawn or garden tractor, but it still has many key features of a larger tractor: diesel engine, power take-off, 3 point hitch, 4 wheel drive, hydraulics, etc. They are very handy and considerably more rugged than something mostly designed for mowing the lawn, but they should be since they cost almost as much as a new car, as already mentioned. That would probably be overkill for your 1 acre property, although plenty of people with just an acre or so buy them and use them extensively.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #12  
what bout a heavier build riding mower with a diesel in it maybe a used 2000s model would do the trick for since you have one acre

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor....
Just my opinion, but unless your husband has some expansion plans up his sleeve, I'm not seeing that you have a need for a "subcompact" tractor. That's a real tractor reduced in size so it's almost as small as a lawn or garden tractor, but it still has many key features of a larger tractor: diesel engine, power take-off, 3 point hitch, 4 wheel drive, hydraulics, etc. They are very handy and considerably more rugged than something mostly designed for mowing the lawn, but they should be since they cost almost as much as a new car, as already mentioned. That would probably be overkill for your 1 acre property, although plenty of people with just an acre or so buy them and use them extensively.

Oh I totally agree.....hubby has already looked at a few machines in the 300 series or it might have been the 500 series but I know they were the less expensive models. As I said, cost will certainly factor into the equation for us. We are not wealthy people so therefore we'll make do with whatever will do the job. Just want something dependable and I've always heard that John Deere was a good reliable brand. I've just never really heard anything about any other makes or models of these type of vehicles. That's the reason that I considered finding a unit higher up on the list but perhaps used. Of course in that regard you have to really do your homework and make sure of the source of the used item so we'll have to look at all options. I initially started this thread to determine if anyone had any thoughts about the snow blower attachments and if anyone had any experience with different ones that may just be easier to swap. I do think that the John Deere would be somewhat easier as you drive up to it and onto of it to mount it as opposed to getting underneath it and messing with all sorts of bolts and such. I'm not sure I'd have to patience to deal with any of it myself.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #14  
Do you have a Simplicity dealer near you? I have a Conquest with a 54 inch cut that removes for a 42 inch snowblower. 150 hours in 2 years with the same belts. And Nothing cuts like a Simplicity, Nothing.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #15  
Oh yea :welcome: to TBN

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #17  
Check Craig's list or Kijiji for used JD lawn and garden equipment. One huge clue that separates the light duty lawn tractors from the more durable garden tractors . Is the rear wheels on heavy duty equipment bolt on with five bolts. The light duty equipment holds the rear wheels on with a snap ring located under a dust cover.
Can't hurt to check out your friendly local JD dealer. Sometimes having a new machine that hasn't had experiences and has a warranty. The monthly payments can be reasonable with some of the factory incentives.
How large of a property and what kind of uses does the equipment see?

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #18  
Oh I totally agree.....hubby has already looked at a few machines in the 300 series or it might have been the 500 series but I know they were the less expensive models. As I said, cost will certainly factor into the equation for us. We are not wealthy people so therefore we'll make do with whatever will do the job. Just want something dependable and I've always heard that John Deere was a good reliable brand. I've just never really heard anything about any other makes or models of these type of vehicles. That's the reason that I considered finding a unit higher up on the list but perhaps used. Of course in that regard you have to really do your homework and make sure of the source of the used item so we'll have to look at all options. I initially started this thread to determine if anyone had any thoughts about the snow blower attachments and if anyone had any experience with different ones that may just be easier to swap. I do think that the John Deere would be somewhat easier as you drive up to it and onto of it to mount it as opposed to getting underneath it and messing with all sorts of bolts and such. I'm not sure I'd have to patience to deal with any of it myself.

I think you have 3 choices and your budget might make the choice easy. Once you've decided which of them you're going to be looking at, people here will be happy to tell you the good, bad and ugly for each option.

1) Lawn tractor, same as what you have. They will all have front mount, belt driven snowblower attahments that will have a similar mounting system. Something like a JD or Huskavarnia from a big box store is under $2000 and a blower is around $1000.

2) Garden tractor. Same type of front mount snow blower that is belt driven. A little bigger, stronger tractor, gas powered that may allow for some attachments. The JD 500 or 700 series, not sure of price, but much higher than the big box lawn tractor (I'm thinking $5K - $7K range).

3) Sub Compact Utility tractor, SCUT. Diesel, 4X4, 3pt hitch, rear PTO, Front End Loader (FEL), shaft driven instead of belt driven etc. You'll be able to put a blower on the front (expensive) or the back or a blade on one and blower on the other. The JD 1026R has the drive over deck that you mentioned with the auto attach option, I'm not sure if any of the smaller ones have it. You can look at new or used Kubota BX, JD 1023/26 just to name the most popular in that size. You're looking in the $15K range.

Good luck.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #19  
Check Craig's list or Kijiji for used JD lawn and garden equipment. One huge clue that separates the light duty lawn tractors from the more durable garden tractors . Is the rear wheels on heavy duty equipment bolt on with five bolts. The light duty equipment holds the rear wheels on with a snap ring located under a dust cover.
Can't hurt to check out your friendly local JD dealer. Sometimes having a new machine that hasn't had experiences and has a warranty. The monthly payments can be reasonable with some of the factory incentives.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #20  
Where is your equipment stored? The reason I ask is if it is damp or nice and warm and dry, makes a difference on drive or other pullies. Once they age they have a tendency to get surface rust and can really chew up a belt quick. I had a tractor stored in a shed over winter, in the spring I started it up and started to mow, in a very short time the belt was smoking. I serviced it before parking it so I never thought about rust, but that is what it was. The problem would be more appearent with a snow blower because there is always dampness from snow on it if you don't keep it in a heated area. Hopes this info is useful and welcome to TBN.......