Buying Advice Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor....

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #21  
I used to use a 24hp Sears Tractor for snowblowing a 350 foot long driveway, but two things I learned. The lift on the snowblower on a Sears is manual, just a long lever, and it would kill my back to lift the blower to turn around or back up. The snow blower is much heavier to lift than the snow plow I used to use.
And be sure to get some kind of cab for snow blowing, even if its an inexpensive Sears plastic windows, or other third party.
The wind will push the snow from the snow blower right back into his face,
and that's why I switched back to paying someone to plow for a few years until I got a real tractor with FEL and plow.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #22  
I'm sort of Mcguyver type guy myself but as I got older I found I was sometimes urinating into the wind when something like you experienced came along. For some reason belts fall into that category as for something simple like belts. I have had a few personal go arounds with belts myself and while I hate them thoroughly they do work well enough for their application. On the other hand the LONG ONES which is what I bet you have become something of a horror unless they are "just right". That said Honda makes good stuff and makes me wonder if possibly you might have something not quite in line or wrong going on there. It sounds plenty adequate for your sized driveway ect unless you really have your heart set on something bigger. If it was mine and I wasn't totally fed up I would take it in to a local reputable dealer and have their guys"FIX IT" and give your husband detailed info on how they fixed it as well as what was wrong with it. Then if it happened again it would be definitely time to sell for sure. Sometimes that's all it takes and remember well the types and construction of belts can be VERY important especially in high power applications. That's why I prefer the worst gear box rig to the best belt rig.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor....
Thanks for all the welcome messages and wow I cannot tell you how appreciative I am for all of these tips, comments and suggestions. I too have suggested that we take the Honda in to have it "looked over" so to speak as I too suspect there there is just something out of line. The chances of him doing that though are pretty slim as he really does everything himself. It would be nice to be able to just keep the Honda cuz of course that would be least expensive option and I would prefer to spend the money on a nice warm beach in Mexico... :). I must admit that I have never even heard of some of these makes such as Simplicity or Kubota which, incidentally, I notice that many of you own so I must assume that this is a very good company. I'm trying to remember all of the points that were made and I'm sure I am forgetting many of them. Like I said, I will surely print out this entire thread and share it with hubby. I hear ya on the cab situation with regards to snow blowing. This is exactly why hubby fabricated a really nice cab out of plexi glass....Best thing he ever did for that machine cuz he stays completely dry when snowblowing. I did mention that his nickname is McGyver right?...lol. This is why I suspected the Honda being faulty rather than consider that he could not figure out what may be causing the belts to fry. Anyway, again, thanks to all those that made posts here. The Honda will be put to the test as we just got about 6 inches of snow dropped on us. He's been out at least once and so far so good. *fingers crossed*. He did say that he tinkered with some of the pulleys and such so I hope that will help with the belt situation.
Oh and someone asked where it's stored. In a unheated shed next to the garage.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #24  
i own about 2 acres an had the same problem, lots of belts. I live in Michigan and use my Koubta to cleare my drive. Don't have the snow blower but you can get one for it. I didn't really think I needed a tractor till I got one. Best thing ever. I got the BX1860 with the 54" belly mower and the Front End Loader. Didn't think I wanted the FEL till I got it. I use it to plow my snow. It dosn't blow it in my face. Havn't used it to mow my yard yet but did a dummy run and it moves around my trees and all the hill really good. Much better than a lawn mower and dose so much more. The BX1860 has all the power and easy of use for me and the price was around $13,000, about $8500 just for the tractor. If you want more info i would be happy to help.

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #25  
Thanks for all the welcome messages and wow I cannot tell you how appreciative I am for all of these tips, comments and suggestions. I too have suggested that we take the Honda in to have it "looked over" so to speak as I too suspect there there is just something out of line. The chances of him doing that though are pretty slim as he really does everything himself. It would be nice to be able to just keep the Honda cuz of course that would be least expensive option and I would prefer to spend the money on a nice warm beach in Mexico... :). I must admit that I have never even heard of some of these makes such as Simplicity or Kubota which, incidentally, I notice that many of you own so I must assume that this is a very good company. I'm trying to remember all of the points that were made and I'm sure I am forgetting many of them. Like I said, I will surely print out this entire thread and share it with hubby. I hear ya on the cab situation with regards to snow blowing. This is exactly why hubby fabricated a really nice cab out of plexi glass....Best thing he ever did for that machine cuz he stays completely dry when snowblowing. I did mention that his nickname is McGyver right?...lol. This is why I suspected the Honda being faulty rather than consider that he could not figure out what may be causing the belts to fry. Anyway, again, thanks to all those that made posts here. The Honda will be put to the test as we just got about 6 inches of snow dropped on us. He's been out at least once and so far so good. *fingers crossed*. He did say that he tinkered with some of the pulleys and such so I hope that will help with the belt situation.
Oh and someone asked where it's stored. In a unheated shed next to the garage.
I got so tired of the belt situation with my old Cub Cadet. Was a great garden tractor, but the belts to drive the snowblower and the tiller were a pain(and extremely expensive).

On the snowblower, if you didn't completely scrape the driveway, the snow lines would freeze and cut right thru the snowblower belt. On the tiller, all I needed was a flat rock about the size of a fifty cent piece to get kicked up and it would shear that belt in a heartbeat. And at 125 bucks for a belt, I cringed every time I put the tiller to the ground. The last time I used it, I tilled a patch for my neighbor.......about 20 feet by 30 feet...........cost me 2 belts for that. :shocked:

I sold it and purchased the Massey. Was a lot of money,(I've got 18k in the tractor tiller and snowblower) but now I have 1 belt, and it operates the deck blades...........nothing more. And I wouldn't trade my Massey for anything. And neither would the person who laid claim to it...........my wife:)

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor.... #26  
look around they are out there, I just got a john deere 655 ,4 wheel drive with loader and 60 inch mover,the tractor was a 450 mile trip one way but It was a good deal for me less than $5000.00 done with all expense included,

/ Help in selecting a multi purpose tractor....
look around they are out there, I just got a john deere 655 ,4 wheel drive with loader and 60 inch mover,the tractor was a 450 mile trip one way but It was a good deal for me less than $5000.00 done with all expense included,

Wow, this is a man after my own heart here. What a deal.... you gotta love it. This is what I'm talking about. I'd love for hubby to find a good deal on a much higher end vehicle for a steal. Who am I kidding....if we are going to find one, I'm going to have to do the searching. Someone mentioned a site to look for used tractors something like kijiiji something. I was trying to figure what the letters stood for. I must confess that I have never heard of this but I will have to look into it. I too think it would be well worth a drive to find something worth traveling for so I will keep that in mind too. I also wonder what time of year is best to look for used bargains with these vehicles. I keep waffling over that as summer would surely be a good time to look for the snowblower but then winter would be best for the summer mowing stuff. Since these vehicles are mainly meant for summer mowing, I'm thinking this might be a good time to look for any used items. aaaaaarrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh....way too much to think about me thinks. Again, thanks for your thoughts....Joyce.