Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise. #21  
Sure won't come without removing the retainer but ought to have it jarred loose by now anyway. ;)

/ Help me identify this noise.
Success! Not sure why at first I didn't think about the seal retainer holding the bearing in? Took it off and knocked it out with the dead blow. Inner bearing pulls out from inside. Outer bearing you remove the hub, the seal color and I rested the bearing in the vise and knocked the shaft out with a dead blow. Its a light press fit. Didn't really take much, you don't need a press or anything for it. Oddly I didn't hear the noise as much when I was getting it onto the shed to work on it. I didn't worry about that though. I decided bid tear into it. Strange thing though was that the spring that goes in the axle seal was around the shaft when I pulled it out? Don't think that was the noise as it was t ground up. The wear collar had a light groove in it. I may as well replace the seal since the weird spring issue but also for a matched pair. I had just replaced the seal and collar maybe 8 to 9 years ago. I guess dirt gets thrown up there from disking and gets in there? It had evidence of oil seeping. Not leaking but just wet around it. The outer bearing is a little crunchy sounding in hand but not bad...the inner sounds smooth. I may as well replace them both while I'm in there...but part of me thinks are the replacement bearings Chinese and these original Japanese so they may be better. Thinking only replace the outer?

Pictures are kind of out of order, sorry but those who know what your looking at get the idea.
IMG_20210929_192322883.jpg
IMG_20210929_192105833.jpg
IMG_20210929_192338510.jpg
IMG_20210929_213510431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_214601346.jpg
    IMG_20210929_214601346.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
The Labor Flat Rate Manual says 1.5 hours to remove/install the whole assembly then a few tenths each added to replace the inner/outer bearing. So apparently whoever wrote the manual didn't expect the axle to slide out as you describe. We'll see ....
I could do it in that 1.5 hours if I had a prepped shop etc. But like I said I will spend had that time cleaning gasket material. If I just scraped the loose big stuff and gooped rtv back in there I could do it in close to that time but man it would be hard to beat the book on this job.

Last edited:
   / Help me identify this noise. #25  
Nice thought about unbolting the seal retainer!

I suspect that the order of events was that the seal wore through, the spring snagged on dirt, and the bearings slowly ground themselves up. Whenever I see wheel movement like you had in your video, I expect to see a shot seal, as well as a bad bearing.

(Nice video by the way, but it brought back painful memories of other wheel bearings that failed at inopportune moments...like losing one in western Nebraska while driving to the Rockies to go backpacking. At least that one failed in daylight hours, and within eighty miles of a garage that had the bearing.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Help me identify this noise. #26  
I sure hope that fixes it. My impression from the sound is it is something dry and unlubricated. Doesnt fit with the innards you exposed. :unsure:

I sure hope that fixes it. My impression from the sound is it is something dry and unlubricated. Doesnt fit with the innards you exposed. :unsure:
That's what I fear after seeing it all and hearing how the bearings sound to me. Bull gear looks good. The gear for the brake shaft that meshes on bull gear looks good at least the side I see.

Also the fact that I didn't hear it as I was dropping the harrow and moving into the shed. I had a thought that what if that's something to do with the brake chamber...and it's coming from the rim as sound moves...but it sure didn't sound like it was in the brake chamber.

These are simple machines, there is not much in there and for sure nothing left on the axle side at all to dismantle.

Also before someone asks the lugnuts were tight so it wasn't wallowing around on the hub.
IMG_20210929_192322883.jpg

/ Help me identify this noise. #28  
The noise seemed to be at axle rpm, while anything beyond that bull gear would spin much faster as you rotate the wheel, no?

Good catch. I'm my messages with Aaron at Hoye. He said the same thing. It is exactly with the wheel revolution, not faster. Everything else including differential and brake shaft spin at a faster revolution. Leads you to believe it's wheel/axle related.

/ Help me identify this noise. #30  
I would replace both bearings, and with non-Chinese bearings, if you can get them. Personally, I only put cheap bearings in light load, low use, easy to service uses.

If you have a real groove cut, you may want to sand out the groove as a few imperfections can trash a seal pretty quickly. You could try to find an oversized seal. (I have never had much luck trying to do that, but it might be a lucky size.) If it is really bad, a good machinist could spray weld new metal on and get it back to size.

All the best,

Peter