Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #11  
I think a device such as that is best suited for use on a Skid Steer, accept for the smallest of saplings.
If you did decide to purchase it, I would try pushing over the larger trees first with your F.E.L using the tree as leverage to break as much roots as possible.

I pushed some good size trees over with my L4200 F.E.L. Then cut the root ball off and finished ripping it out of the ground by pushing it with the bucket.

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #12  
I have one just like that (Hawz brand) for my tracked skid-steer, which has a substantially stronger loader than what is found on our compact tractors. I have ripped out hundreds of trees with mine, ranging all the way up to 12" in some cases. I have been very happily surprised with the performance of the tree puller but again it all depends on what kind of machine you have it attached to.

I don't know how useful this Implement would be on my compact tractor, even though my Massey loader is rated pretty strong compared to most machines in the segment. Maybe I could rip out some 3" stuff. But to take out the bigger ones, there's a lot of forward and backward movement that has to go on. then once you get the thing ripped out of the ground, if the root ball is still attached, they tend to be very heavy and would probably be difficult to move around with the tractor, especially since by the nature of the design of this implement, it really shifts the weight forward away from the tractor, using leverage against the strength of the tractor.

In the next few weeks I may be buying a more Industrial Tractor with a 5000 pound lift rating and 8000 pounds of breakout Force. Once I get that machine I can test out the tree puller with it and compare it to my track machine.

1520373365444.jpg1520373406098.jpg

Last edited:
   / Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #13  
No debate that a puller is more effective on a SS or CTL. Even more importantly than the lifting capabilities is the visibility. But sometimes we have to use what we got.

The OP having a puller to use on his tractor is wayyyyyyyy better than him not having a puller..... :)

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #14  
Watching... I知 really considering buying one to thin out my pine saplings to healthy levels. Mine痴 a Branson 3520h w/ 2k breakout force.

I知 considering doing what Coyote suggest, drop the top before pulling it out. I wonder if building a contraption with an old, large tractor rim with a chain pull type arrangement to pluck them out of the ground. (Rim upright, chain draped over the rim for leverage)

Depending on the size of the pine you want to remove, you might consider just cutting them off at ground level with a chain saw or chewing them up with a rotary cutter. If you cut pine off below the bottom branch, it will just die and rot within a few years. It will not sprout new shoots and grow back like hard woods do.

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #15  
There's a lot of different "pines". Eastern Red Cedar doesn't care how low you cut it. And it's stumps will take decades to rot away in Missouri. :(

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #16  
Duly noted.

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #17  
I think the most definite answer you're going to get is: It might work.

Doing some quick math: Say a tree has a 3' wide root ball. Ignoring depth (which you shouldn't) that's 1018 square inches of area you're pulling up.
If your max breakout force is 3125lbs (at pins?!), as long as the roots don't resist at more than 3 psi you should be good!

math? who knew!

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #18  
No debate that a puller is more effective on a SS or CTL. Even more importantly than the lifting capabilities is the visibility. But sometimes we have to use what we got.

The OP having a puller to use on his tractor is wayyyyyyyy better than him not having a puller..... :)

I second this, i just pulled at least 150 white pines with my grapple, which worked well, but it would have been so much less destruction with a tree puller. I have a pretty stout loader, and think with my machine I could have done 6-10" trees with my machine and that tree puller the pines were easier more like 3-6". Also the taking your time thing and angling them back is key, don't ask how I know this...

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #19  
Ok, Been here and done it (...and learned a thing or two) If I were to do it again, I would KILL the tree first, paint a 50/50 mix of Garlon4 and diesel on the trunk of the trees. Do it a few times during the year for the first year. Kill what comes up the next year and hopefully you might control them.

What happen to me is that I had a 6 ton trackhoe (friend rented for the week and he had some extra time on it). Took care of the job of ripping out the trees in no time. Pulled the tree up by the roots... no problem. WRONG, Tree of Heaven (From Hell) sprouted all over the place. Each rootlet decided to become a new tree... you would be hard pressed to win this battle. I had to spray a bunch for the next 6 years before I decided, they were all gone. Kill them before the tree knows that you are at war with them!!!

Believe me when I say that... Ripping them out of the ground will just pizz them off...

/ Help me manage my expectations for this tree puller, please #20  
Ok, Been here and done it (...and learned a thing or two) If I were to do it again, I would KILL the tree first, paint a 50/50 mix of Garlon4 and diesel on the trunk of the trees. Do it a few times during the year for the first year. Kill what comes up the next year and hopefully you might control them.

What happen to me is that I had a 6 ton trackhoe (friend rented for the week and he had some extra time on it). Took care of the job of ripping out the trees in no time. Pulled the tree up by the roots... no problem. WRONG, Tree of Heaven (From Hell) sprouted all over the place. Each rootlet decided to become a new tree... you would be hard pressed to win this battle. I had to spray a bunch for the next 6 years before I decided, they were all gone. Kill them before you go to war with them!!!

Believe me when I say that... Ripping them out of the ground will just pizz them off...

With such a variety of locations and tree species this might not be correct guidance. I've pulled thousands of trees. I've never ran across this problem you speak of. Generally the machinery running the puller is limited on what size tree it can pull. In the 6" and down category there won't be enough roots left to allow regrowth. Speaking strictly in Missouri.