Help Me Understand Septic Problem

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I've noticed a wet spot in my septic field this summer and I'm trying to determine if I need a whole new field or if it is a localized problem. So far there have been no problem with the drains backing up in the house. The field is 36 years old and was inspected when I bought 4 years ago.

There are a number of potable water lines in the area for watering, but I don't know if there is one near the wet spot that might explain the wet spot as being a leaky fresh water pipe. I notice no odor at the wet spot.

Anyone had a similar issue and have any advice on diagnosing it, short of calling the septic guy, which I will do after investigating myself.

Attachments

• Septic map  schematic Cropped.JPG
    Septic map schematic Cropped.JPG
    638.6 KB · Views: 128
   / Help Me Understand Septic Problem #2  
I’ve had wet spots in my leach field lines ever since i moved in back in 2001. House was built in 1991. Never has caused a problem. Can dmell the poop smell occasionally when mowing over it.

Had the line from the septic tank to the leach field distribution box replaced three years ago; it had collapsed. Asked my septic guy about the wetness. He said the lines looked in great shape when he looked at the distribution box and that he didn’t see any issue.

Everything works fine. I get the tank cleaned out every three years.

As long as your lines are not backing up, I’d say you are fine.

Note - pull the top off of your tank and look at the water level. Should not be at the top. Have you had the tank cleaned out since you’ve moved in?

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #3  
What is the history of the tank being pumped?

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #4  
Take 15 minutes and a spade shovel and dig the wet spot until you hit a water pipe, leach pipe or tank. Then go from there.
If there is no smell, I'm guessing it's a water pipe.

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #5  
If you are on public water service, does it show a high number of gallons being used?

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem
Note - pull the top off of your tank and look at the water level. Should not be at the top.
Good tip
Have you had the tank cleaned out since you’ve moved in?
It was pumped when I moved in and I took a class to do self inspection and measured the solids and scum one year ago and it was well within limits.

What is the history of the tank being pumped?
I only know back to 4 years when I bought it. The county did not keep records on service prior to that.

If you are on public water service, does it show a high number of gallons being used?
I'm on well, so I can only observe cycle times and I don't see anything unusual.

Take 15 minutes and a spade shovel and dig the wet spot until you hit a water pipe, leach pipe or tank. Then go from there.
If there is no smell, I'm guessing it's a water pipe.
Best advice so far. I dug it up and it is a 1" pipe that feed hydrants in the back yard area.

Next question, how do I repair a leaking coupler in the ground?

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 131
   / Help Me Understand Septic Problem #10  
Best advice so far. I dug it up and it is a 1" pipe that feed hydrants in the back yard area.

Next question, how do I repair a leaking coupler in the ground?

Just get a new piece of pipe to use as a coupler. Can get that and the purple pipe dope at Home Depot. Just cut the old piece out with a hacksaw (or anything - it cuts real easy).

Turn the water off first though……