Help Me Understand Septic Problem

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #12  
A foot of new pipe, and two “SharkBite” or Orbit “PVC-Lock” fittings. One is just a coupling, the other fitting is a longer one which lets you flex the pipe, and then push it back onto the pipe your joining.

Or just go old school and glue in a union.

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #13  
Our tank was failing and backing up into the house.... or so I thought. Had me pretty freaked out. The guy that pumped out the tank, cause I thought it was full or something, said he could see nothing wrong, BUT..... and this was the huge BUT, he said the coupler from the house run to the tank probably sank, or the tank floated, and disconnected the run. He said he had seen this many times. I checked, and this is exactly what had happened. Total cost of repair, was $760. $750 for the pump out on a 1,500 gal tank, which I thought at the time was a reasonable time for a pump out after 20 years of use, which wasn't really needed as there was very little sludge, and $10 for a new coupler. I dug it all up, on my own, and clearly saw the break. A very, very messy job and worth investing in a bio-jump suit. :)

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #14  
I'd suggest using an expandable coupling. It's far easier to install than just normal coupling. All the pros use it.

The 1" diameter one is only $8-$10, compared to the Blue Store.

Be sure to let your glue set up for 24 hours before turning the water back on. (some say that's overkill, but it's easy insurance)

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem
I'd suggest using an expandable coupling. It's far easier to install than just normal coupling. All the pros use it.

The 1" diameter one is only $8-$10, compared to the Blue Store.

Be sure to let your glue set up for 24 hours before turning the water back on. (some say that's overkill, but it's easy insurance)
Thanks, I think this is the way I'm going to go. Inexpensive and seems hard to mess up, but I may find a way.

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #16  
There fittings made for that. The Slip-fix is one. See the video.
Video

There is another that is a compression fitting which screws a cap on each end and seals with rubber gasket. BUT THAT is a low pressure fitting only for springkler heads etx.
Not a hard fix.
Maybe like this fitting.
PVC repair

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #18  
Could be wrong but it looks to me like a repair has already been attempted. The pipe on the top part of the picture apears to be one of the expandable couplings linked above. Based on the amount of glue on the outside of the joint I would say the last person who "repaired" it still had a leak after fixing and tried to cover it with glue to fix. PVC glue doesn't really work like that so it didn't last. If you dig more on the side of the top part of the picture and see what is there.

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #19  
Could be wrong but it looks to me like a repair has already been attempted. The pipe on the top part of the picture apears to be one of the expandable couplings linked above. Based on the amount of glue on the outside of the joint I would say the last person who "repaired" it still had a leak after fixing and tried to cover it with glue to fix. PVC glue doesn't really work like that so it didn't last. If you dig more on the side of the top part of the picture and see what is there.
I agree....a bit more digging may reveal more of the issue and may save extra work later.

/ Help Me Understand Septic Problem #20  
I didn't read all replies but I've been here 42 years. About 8 years ago I noticed back yard which slopes downhill from house an area staying wet. I had a drain guy out I knew, he found septic tank with a fiberglass rod, poking it in ground. We hand shoveled and found distribution box (1 inlet from tank, 4 outlets to drain field) was clogged. He opened it up, then electric drain auger tank to house after tank was pumped out. His auger stopped not far from house saying "your pipes done egged".
Everything back, I seeded area, all is well.
$150 tank pump out, $75 drain work.
It may last my lifetime otherwise I'll have to replace septic line house to tank with PVC. All those years ago (septic probably installed 50s-60s) they used I think it's called Johnson pipe, just rolled up tarpaper.