HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I was cutting grass when it suddenly killed. It starts fine but if I move either handle to make it go it kills in a couple of seconds. It only runs with the handles fully extended apart.

Another thing I noticed: It will now start without pushing down on the brake pedal and the brake pedal feels like it pushes down easier than it used to. Is it possible that a brake is stuck on and the mower is set to kill if a brake is stuck on?

What the heck?

Last edited:
   / HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #2  
There are safety switches on each handle and possibly one on the parking brake. I suspect the parking brake since that would affect both handles. Typical handle switch just affects the one handle. Could also be seat presence switch that would also affect both handles.

Good luck since electrical problems can be challenging to resolve.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #3  
There are safety switches on each handle, the seat, and parking brake. Your seat switch or parking brake switch is defective or out of adjustment. There is a procedure in the manual to determine which switch is the problem.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle
I wish I had a service manual to check out the problem. My Kubota is parked out in the pasture and I hate leaving it outside until its fixed. I am sure the seat switch is working because if I have it running and stand up, it will kill.
I will look for the parking brake switch.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #5  
If it starts without having the brake on, then I vote for the brake safety switch. If it is telling the machine that the brake is on and you move a handle from the outboard position, it will also kill the machine.

Not sure if it normally open or closed. You may just have had a wire come loose while mowing or the switch went bad. If it suddenly showed the brake set with the handles in use, that would kill it.

Last edited:
   / HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #6  
On my Kees if the parking brake is set and you move the steering handles inboard it will die. Must release the parking brake first. There should be switch somewhere that handles the parking brake interlock. Mine will also not start if the parking brake is NOT set.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #7  
I did have debris disconnect the parking brake wiring at a connector a few years ago on my zd1211. It must have stopped the mower engine when it happened, as I don't recall the first symptom being a no start condition.
Look for the only wire under your feet and above the deck and follow it to the switch.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle
I have not found any info on a BRAKE SAFETY SWITCH. I Googled and can not find anything called that or any info on where it is or what it looks like. There are lots of brake light switches and lots of safety switches. I couldn't find anything on Messick's website.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #9  
I'd look carefully. On my Cub zero each handle has a pushbutton switch like a refrigerator door light switch so handles must be fully out to engage. The parking brake also has a switch. I've had to push handles apart fully and brake on & off a few times. It all ties in with seat and PTO switches.
Sounds like adjustment, bad switch, unplugged, chewed wire.

/ HELP! My ZD326 kills when I move a handle #10  
I have not found any info on a BRAKE SAFETY SWITCH. I Googled and can not find anything called that or any info on where it is or what it looks like. There are lots of brake light switches and lots of safety switches. I couldn't find anything on Messick's website.
Messick's search tool sucks to say the least. Call their parts counter, they'll fix you up.