Tractor Sizing Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #11  
Unfortunately, you are in the same boat as I when it comes to mowing. To me, there is a very large jump in price, weight, cost of attachments, traction, etc. between something like the X40. As you go up in size, things like a collection system ( must have for me), and snowblowers get more expensive, are heavier, and become more difficult to install, and remove. The collection system for my Kubota looks like it would support a backhoe, and take a day to put on though I might be wrong about that. I have installed, and removed the collection system, and reinstalled it three times in a day when I am dethatching in the spring, and picking up the thatch with the collector. I have a Simplicity Legacy, and that is about the same size as a JD X7xx series though it is hard to pin down things like tractor weight. (some weights are given with the mower deck, and some without. I have over 700 hours on it so far, and have found the weight to be close to ideal for traction, and stability. I had a smaller Simplicity before that which I put 1500 hours on. It was supposed to weigh just a couple hundred pounds less than the Legacy, but I doubt that it did. Folks complain about belt drive machines, but that was never an issue for me in mowing my hilly acerage. ( I mow something over 3 acres on a regular basis) The iimplements for that were less money, and went on, and off perhaps even more easily than on my Legacy. The MSRP on Legacy XL's, and the JD X700 series is about the same, but you will find the Legacy discounted much more on the street. Both use the same transaxle. Speaking of that, you will want to look at the PTO on both the JD, and Legacy........ looks pretty tough to get to, and some mechanics at the dealerships I frequent will agree that you have to be pretty limber....... not me. I think I would end up pulling the rear tire off if it were me working on it. Though it is lighter, and belt drive, the JD X500 series, and Simplicity Prestige I would think they would work given lower expectations for longevity. The mower decks, and other attachments are a snap to install compared to the larger machines. Which to buy? Well, I like the JD X500 series, and Prestige, but when I go look at them I always think the heavier machines are just better for heavy use, and certainly for "busting through" snow banks, or hauling a heavy load of dirt up (and down) hills, and I feel I would be taking a step backwards from what I have with the lighter machines. Dealers might be more likely to take in trade for a reasonable price the JDX700's than the smaller machines though I have found lately that they really don't want to take anything in trade so perhaps that doesn't matter so much. The thing here is that the happier you are with the mower, the less likely you will be to want to trade it any time soon.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #12  
From the attached posts you seem to be having issues justifying a blower. If you budget allows, you won't be sorry. I have both blade and blower on a JD425. I never use the blade on the snow. The first few snows I back blade with the blower to seal in the garvel.

When clearing snow, the snow gets dealt with once and you don't have to worry about having to move it again. If you are a little tight on room in some spots, just adjust the chute and throttle back the engine speed the reduce the distance your throwing the snow, or buy a chute deflector attachment.

I hope my input helps with your decision.

Don't work harder, work smarter.
JD3X:thumbsup:

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #13  
lots of debate about blade vs blower. i'm always a fan
of the blower, but you know your driveway and if the blade
will work then that's your choice.
I would not think the X5 series would be the best for hauling
that cart up the hill. I have an X585 (today it's the X728) and
I have hills here, and taking my 17 cart up my steepest hill loaded
with just mulch got me in trouble, and i have chains on. I was in 2wd
(not an option with the new 728) but my rears wouldn't hold the
tractor/wagon on the hill. did i say it was steep? (i guess i shouldn't
expect it to hold) normally I get on top and get crossways where
it isn't so steep. I did start sliding backwards though, and that gave me
a little pucker. I put in 4wd and climbed back up to the flatter top portion.
I know the lighter X5 series would have been a train wreck!

As for snow, i think an X7, 4wd, with proper ballast (loaded tires, wheel
weights, and/or rear bracket and weights) would do fine for any snow you get.
sure a compact or sub will be better, but it is a much bigger machine to mow with.
but, if you want 3ph stuff, tiller etc, adding rear pto and cat1 3ph is quite
expensive for the X7, so maybe a sub would be a reasonable choice.
lots to think about, but as you see, lots of opinions at TBN so read thru and
sort thru it and before you know it you will be enjoying your new purchase.
good luck, keep us posted.
:D

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #14  
1*I would like to upgrade to another John Deere as they have been reliable for my family for a long time (father, grandfather). I am John Deere dedicated ;-)
2*Questions:
1. I would like something that can easily pull a 17p utility cart full of dirt or gravel up a steep slope (say 30-40 degree slope roughly)?
2. I am in Southeastern Wisconsin so I would like something that can handle all of my snow removal needs using a blade. I know some poeple might disagree but I will use the blade for snow removal and light landscaping purposes so it is more functional than a blower at this point. My drive is not very large 45 feet long by 40 feet wide, relatively flat with plenty of room to pile snow on the side. I would like something that can plow through the 2 feet of snow the plow leaves at the end of the drive.
3. I am also thinking of using the tractor and blade to clear sidewalks and driveways in the neighboorhood as some side work. The blade would make this go much faster than having to blow the snow.
4. I would also like it to be able to handle more attachments someday, rear tiller and some other PTO attachments.
1*I would not limit my chances to come up with the best/correct solution by being that way.
2*One of these would take care of these concerns quite well.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #16  
I faced a similar problem - have about 3/4ac to mow, and some steep slopes to tackle when doing so. I started with an x540, which could handle most slopes if I went up them in a straight line without turning, but even with the locked differential would sometimes churn up the turf. I was living with it for a few weeks, then one day I tried to pull my 17p loaded with firewood up a slope and the tires just churned. I was faced with the knowledge that the tractor, despite being a sweet machine, was just not right for me and my landscape, so I bit the bullet, and had my dealer take the x540 back within the 30days and got an x728, and couldn't be happier. Never even breathes hard mowing or towing up the slopes and with the 4wd never loses traction, or even churn the turf, even in sharp turns up the slopes. I'd like a 1026 for loader work but with my mowing being the predominant use of my machine, and a bunch of trees to mow under and around, the x7xx series is right for me.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #17  
I faced a similar problem - have about 3/4ac to mow, and some steep slopes to tackle when doing so. I started with an x540, which could handle most slopes if I went up them in a straight line without turning, but even with the locked differential would sometimes churn up the turf. I was living with it for a few weeks, then one day I tried to pull my 17p loaded with firewood up a slope and the tires just churned. I was faced with the knowledge that the tractor, despite being a sweet machine, was just not right for me and my landscape, so I bit the bullet, and had my dealer take the x540 back within the 30days and got an x728, and couldn't be happier. Never even breathes hard mowing or towing up the slopes and with the 4wd never loses traction, or even churn the turf, even in sharp turns up the slopes. I'd like a 1026 for loader work but with my mowing being the predominant use of my machine, and a bunch of trees to mow under and around, the x7xx series is right for me.

wow, thanks for the input! sounds like we both would look past
the X5 series.

so, X728 or 1023E or 1026R,
decisions decision....

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor
Ok,
First off I want to truly thank everyone for being so helpful. I have read through all of the posts and got something out of all of them.

I went to the JD Dealer and priced a X728, X748, 1023e, 1026r. I think most of these would be a good fit and according to the Deere dealer based on my situation they seemed to think any of them would work for me. As well I know some of you here have recommended these models, and I think any of them would work for me.

If in the future if I wanted to add a PTO and 3PT hitch to the 728 or 748, I would be almost at the price of a 1023 or 1026 (which comes with that stuff standard). Also the dealer did tell me that the 3PT hitch on the x7xx series was not a catergory 1 (I believe he said it was a category 0??if that makes sense) and most attachments would require a category 1, if I were to rent an attachment from a rental place in the future. Not sure what the difference is and it was not all that important because the price point between a 728/748 with the same features as a 1023/1026 was so close that I went with the 1023E.

I did not need the extra features of the 1026r or the few extra hp as the 23hp diesel in the 1023e will be plenty for what I need.I also was not concernced about the arm rests or lights as I would not be out too many late nights, I can also add alight kit to the 1023e later if need be. I just could not pass it up, looking at the 728/748 next to the 1023e it just made sense to go with the sub compact for the all around versatility and the very minimal price difference over a 728 or 748.

So I have placed an order for a 1023e with quick hitch and 54" front blade, and a 54" mower deck. Seeing as I don't have a huge yard but have some trees and mulch beds to mow around I think the smaller deck will suit my needs better. The 1023e is very agile and should be able to mow everything I need it to, plus do the grunt work around the yard. Snow removal and up steep slopes with cart should be a piece of cake. Plus I have some unfiinished yard projects, still need to put grass in the back 1/4 acre of yard, never did that since I finished building (still just a mowed down field). Now I can till it, power rake it, and plant grass.

I also have bunches of other ideas to put the 1023e to work and keep me on it. Snow removal in the neighboorhood would be one good use and could bring in some side $$. My wife was hoping that the 1023e would cut snow removal time in half over the walk behind snowblower,I am thinking it could take longer, I can't imagine I will want to stop playing in the snow;-)

I will post a few pics once I get it (couple weeks).
Thanks for the input everyone, even if I did not go with your suggestion I still took it into consideration and appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #19  
hey that is great you should really enjoy it .

/ Help Sizing/Upgrading John Deere Lawn Tractor #20  
As I said in my previous post, make sure you get a ballast box for the new rig. For the couple of hundred dollars it costs, the added traction benefit when plowing snow is, in my opinion, simply amazing. I actually tried plowing the first snowfall without the BB on, and after I did put it on, I really never would have believed the difference if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Here's a couple of pics of my 2520 with the ballast box and blade, after a snowfall last year. As you can see, the banks are pretty much 5 feet high, I certainly was impressed.

REV

Attachments

• 021 - Copy.jpg
    021 - Copy.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Winter 2010 4.jpg
    Winter 2010 4.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 613