Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #51  
My venerable '97 F350 4x4 rides like a Sherman Tank. The wife complains of sore boobs after 50 miles.:thumbsup:

You might try doing what I have found successful with mine. Go to bank get $1000 bill,rub it on afflected area(s) approx/ 5 mins total. Leave bill($1000) and forget about it on her nightstand. And you should be good to go for about 28 days. :laughing: ;)

Boone

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #52  
5030 said:
My Caddy has a better ride and more power too.......:D

It is pre-*****.....:)

My venerable '97 F350 4x4 rides like a Sherman Tank. The wife complains of sore boobs after 50 miles.:thumbsup:

LOL!!!

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #53  
timswi said:
Geez..My GMC was built in Fort Wayne, Indiana...Personally, I don't care a whit about the bailout. Chrysler had one in the 80's and it was paid back. Government backstop, that's all. Don't know or care where the wife's Hummer was built. It's still purely American as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not thrilled with the way the government stuck it to the bondholders and the union payoff, but it is what it is...Ford's CEO begged congress to to bail out the others due to the supplier cascade of failure that would have sunk Ford as well.

Remember that Ford mortgaged everything includuding the "Blue Oval" just before the credit crisis..Some luck involved there.

Anyway..The Tundra is a nice truck, but very pricey.

The Hummer was made in South Bend, IN. (0:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #54  
Renthal said:
You clearly didnt read Toyotas own internal memo's. Your the type of person that would think that 9/11 was a U.S. government conspiracy;)

The difference is that if you actually dig into some of the internal documents that Toyota was forced to hand over, you will see they made a practice of covering up severe issues. Toyota was given the maximum and largest fine in auto history for their corruption and safety cover ups. No other auto maker gets that honor. Not even for the issues you are pulling up from over 30-40 years ago.

Thats what the 100 people that recently lost their lives thought when they bought their Toyotas. They never figured a company would trade lives over a few bucks for replacing defective gas pedals and floor mats.

Bottom line is its great to have choice in this country. To blindly follow one brand over all the others despite the quality of the actual product in front of them wrong. The people that break it down and educate themselves understand why very few Tundras roll off the dealer lots compared to the competition.

Toyota was drug through the mud by a bunch of politicians, many based out of Michigan. That's Michigan as in Detroit. Just another good old witch hunt by our elected officials.

Many vehicles have sudden acceleration complaints. It's not unique to Toyota.

You are going way over the top regarding dollars exchanged for lives. Give me a break. You should write for Fox News. Lol

Btw I don't even own a Toyota!

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #55  
Lets be clear here, the Toyota fiasco was not about sudden unintended acceleration. This was about the systematic cover up of safety defects that has been going on for the last decade. The ball joints problems on many platform that required a recall Japan but did not require a recall in the US because "we drive differently". After a about a year the US got a recall on that one. Before the recall I personally have seen two Toyotas on the side of the road with the broken tie rods and the front wheels pointing in different directions. If I have seen two, then I think that this a bigger problem then Toyota was willing to admit and of course they would rather let you drive an unsafe car then sully there reputation with a recall.

All manufactures are required by law to notify NHSTA within 5 days of discovering a safety defect. They did not; and even after begrudgingly notifying NHSTA, they came out with a press release saying NHSTA had found no problems. NHSTA was very quickly contradicted this a press release.

Toyota paid three $16M fines which is the maximum allowed by law for failure to notify NHSTA in a timely manner of potential defects. Toyota did not dispute these fines because they were clearly guilty.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #56  
Late coming into this discussion but i'll chime in.
I've had 3 tundras, and before that 3 or 4 of the
toyota pickups, even an 84 base cab 2wd 22R with
no power steering and vinyl seats!
they have all treated me very well, although I did have
the 3.0 V6 head gasket problem (or something that caused
me to pull front cover off the engine).
I traded my 05 base cab 4wd Tundra with 4.7 for an 07 5.7l
SR5 double cab (both bought used with low miles) because
we do have a 27' camper we tow a few times a year. I also
pull a small runabout boat occasionally, and work requires me
to tow a 6x12 landscape trailer quite often. I do like the power of
the 5.7 over the 4.7. My commute is very low, and it's hard for me
to compare day to day mileage between the 2, but this past weekend
we drove to VA and back to NY in the Tundra and coming back I checked
mileage after coming up thru VA/MD/Pa and got 18.7 mpg, and I rarely
go under 75 mph on the highways, unless in construction zones or
traffic doesn't permit. I was very happy with that mileage, and the truck
does ride and perform well, and is extremely quiet on the highway. I am
facing hip surgery in a couple months, and the seats are comfortable for me,
which is why we didnt' take the Sienna (just the way it is i guess)
good luck with the new truck!
:D

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #57  
Lets be clear here, the Toyota fiasco was not about sudden unintended acceleration. This was about the systematic cover up of safety defects that has been going on for the last decade. The ball joints problems on many platform that required a recall Japan but did not require a recall in the US because "we drive differently". After a about a year the US got a recall on that one. Before the recall I personally have seen two Toyotas on the side of the road with the broken tie rods and the front wheels pointing in different directions. If I have seen two, then I think that this a bigger problem then Toyota was willing to admit and of course they would rather let you drive an unsafe car then sully there reputation with a recall.

All manufactures are required by law to notify NHSTA within 5 days of discovering a safety defect. They did not; and even after begrudgingly notifying NHSTA, they came out with a press release saying NHSTA had found no problems. NHSTA was very quickly contradicted this a press release.

Toyota paid three $16M fines which is the maximum allowed by law for failure to notify NHSTA in a timely manner of potential defects. Toyota did not dispute these fines because they were clearly guilty.

How does this and several similar posts about Toyota even remotely contribute to the OP's original question of whether to choose a Tundra or Tacoma?

ALL major manufacturers have faced some sort of difficulty at some point in time, including Ford, with the Explorer-Firestone debacle and frankly, GM should have recalled every single Pontiac Aztec for inducing a pandemic of nausea circulated by presence of this abomination the nations highways! :laughing:

Choosing a thread about a choice between two Toyota vehicles to grind an axe about the recent issues at TMC is not helpful to this discussion.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #58  
I have a 08 Tundra Double Cab. It is the 5.7 with towing package. I get horrible mileage on short trips (1 to 2 miles, while the engine is warming up), after that it does alright. I average 15.5 to 16 in town. I get just under 20 on the highway doing around 75 to 80. The trick is keeping your foot out of it, it is a rocket! I have been VERY pleased with it, and it a great tow vehicle. Mine is not 4x4, but it suits my needs very well. It pulls my 6.5 to 7klb boat very well.
BTW, these mile figures are from the computer, and have been verified by me.
My past tow vehicle was a 04 Dakota, with the 4.7(or whatever it was), it got worse mileage, and did not tow well. I sold it and had a 05 or 06 Expedition with a 5.4. It did well, and was decked out. We had it about 6 months and we got hit September of 09. I bought the Tundra and it is by far the best Tow Vehicle out of all of these, and gets the best mileage!
Good luck, Dave

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?
OK, here it is. Bought a leftover 2011 in a middle dark blue at a great price.
Wow, is it wide. And the lugging power is way more than I expected. Sold my 2006 base model for cash and took the advice of bullbreaker and gave the wife a $50 bill out of proceeds.
My only surprise is that it actually came with what appears to be a great tire. They're Michelin LTX A/S 255-75-18 and I can't seem to find a cheap subsitute variation for new trucks only. Maybe it really is the good tire that sells for $275 each at Sam's Club.
Thanks for all the good commentary.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 337
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 258
   / Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #60  
OK, here it is. Bought a leftover 2011 in a middle dark blue at a great price.
Wow, is it wide. And the lugging power is way more than I expected. Sold my 2006 base model for cash and took the advice of bullbreaker and gave the wife a $50 bill out of proceeds.
My only surprise is that it actually came with what appears to be a great tire. They're Michelin LTX A/S 255-75-18 and I can't seem to find a cheap subsitute variation for new trucks only. Maybe it really is the good tire that sells for $275 each at Sam's Club.
Thanks for all the good commentary.

Congrats on the new TRUCK. I have a 4Runner with a 3" lift and 33" tires and it still looks puny next to a Tundra.

As for the tires, the LTX all seasons are quite possible the most expensive tire in that size. The good news is that there are many other good tires available for much less when it comes time to replace them.