Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #61  
Nice.

I wondered about the tires also with my Ex's husbands. I am very cautious of tires since buying my 2006 F-350. It had by far the worst tires any vehicle I have ever owned on it. They were Continental Conitracs and sucked in the snow and mud and wet and and and. They were ok on dry asphalt but that was it. They were made by Michelin and looked very much identical to what you have. I hope you guys don't have the same issues. At the time I had 2 other trucks, one was a 2004 F-250 with BFG AT's that was basically identical to the F-350 and was nearly unstoppable. The other had BFG AT's also from the factory and they would go though anything but the F-350 would get stuck in my drive with 6" of snow.

These are what it came with:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...yr=2006&pc=26068&cf=false&vid=009027&sw=false

These are what I put on it at 24,000 miles and its a different truck:
4-NEW LT 275 70 18 Toyo AT 10ply TIRES 70R18 R18 70R | eBay

Chris

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #62  
Sixdogs : Congrats ! :thumbsup:
Nice looking truck enjoy it. Since 86 I have owend Toyo Trucks,currently don't have one. Heres my daily driver(2011 F250 4x4 6.7,3.55 rears).

Boone

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 505
   / Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #63  
OK, here it is. Bought a leftover 2011 in a middle dark blue at a great price.
Wow, is it wide. And the lugging power is way more than I expected. Sold my 2006 base model for cash and took the advice of bullbreaker and gave the wife a $50 bill out of proceeds.
My only surprise is that it actually came with what appears to be a great tire. They're Michelin LTX A/S 255-75-18 and I can't seem to find a cheap subsitute variation for new trucks only. Maybe it really is the good tire that sells for $275 each at Sam's Club.
Thanks for all the good commentary.

Nice rig!!!! :thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #64  
Nice Truck.

The LTX is a fine tire, one of the best OEMs available. No worries there, expensive, yes, but quality.:thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #65  
I bought a 2011 5.7 tundra crew max 4x4 in april. By far the best truck I have ever had. I have never really been let down by any manufacturer's product; but I love my Tundra. It's not a dura-max, power stroke, or cummins, but I think it is about as close as you can get without spending that much money.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?
Let me add another thing about tires. I used to have all kinds of problems living with the shale roads of northern new England until one day I had enough. I went to the tire shop and bought the most expensive Michelins i could buy and then faithfully rotated them every 5000 miles. I never had another flat.
As well, I get great tire life and got over 80,000 miles out or my last "X Radial" (LTX) Michelins (80,000 mile rating) with no wobble or funny wear or whatever.
Also, I have learned to run a tire so that it does not wear in the center or on the edges. In my case of a 2wd reg cab V6 Tundra with nothing in the bed I ran 26 psi all around rather than the 27-32 called for. Oh, I rotatied in both the "X' pattern as well as just front to back suggested. Just my two cents.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #67  
Nice.

I wondered about the tires also with my Ex's husbands. I am very cautious of tires since buying my 2006 F-350. It had by far the worst tires any vehicle I have ever owned on it. They were Continental Conitracs and sucked in the snow and mud and wet and and and. They were ok on dry asphalt but that was it. They were made by Michelin and looked very much identical to what you have. I hope you guys don't have the same issues. At the time I had 2 other trucks, one was a 2004 F-250 with BFG AT's that was basically identical to the F-350 and was nearly unstoppable. The other had BFG AT's also from the factory and they would go though anything but the F-350 would get stuck in my drive with 6" of snow.

These are what it came with:
Tire Details - Discount Tire

These are what I put on it at 24,000 miles and its a different truck:
4-NEW LT 275 70 18 Toyo AT 10ply TIRES 70R18 R18 70R | eBay

Chris

I have to agree DP, BFG AT are the best over all truck tire for the money IMHO, last set I had I put 75000 miles on and only replaced the set because of a broken belt on 1 tire, and I blieve could have gotten another 10-12 thou. out of them. :thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #68  
No real big complaints with my 2009 DC 4x4. It was the only extended cab... non crew cab... back seat that I could sit comfortably in and still have a standard sized box in back. The only issue I have is that the sheet metal is a little thin in the bed. That isn't exclusive to the Tundras. They all do that for weight and fuel mileage. I did put some better AT tires on it. The stock michelins are good for noise and fuel but terrible for getting off the beaten path. I picked up some Goodyear DuraTrac's and love them. The one thing I wish it had was a diesel. That's a standard complaint with them, too. In all fairness, you can't compare them to a half ton pickup. It's a three quarter ton by big three standards. Payload on mine is 1480 pounds. Give or take. 10600 pounds, I think, towing. When I bought it in 2009, the 380 HP and 400 ft lbs was tops. Since then, I think the big three has caught up. The only thing I'd consider getting rid of it for is a diesel F250. But, that's not likely. All in all, it's a great truck.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #69  
I put the DuraTrac's on my Ram2500. I like them too. I had Cepek Radial Mud Country's that I liked better, but they were "D" range, and a softer compound. Sure worked nice out hunting though.

Personally, I am not a Toyota fan, even though they make good pickups. The Pro-American in me still can't get past Toyota in NASCAR, and the foreign ownership, even though they have more US content than my older Dodge/Cummins. Beyond that though, IMHO there is a pretty good selection of diesels and options from the Big-3.

I did put some better AT tires on it. The stock michelins are good for noise and fuel but terrible for getting off the beaten path. I picked up some Goodyear DuraTrac's and love them. The one thing I wish it had was a diesel.