Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #11  
personaly on a small acrage like that i would go for a 40 to 50 hp tractoryou can never have too much power i started with 40 hp tractor and have up graded over the years to 105 hp should have started there in the first place .hayin 300 acres with a 40 horse tractor was a slow but steady job.you may want to plow or till this eventualy and the larger hp is needed like the boys are saying you never trade down in hp or size good luck with your quest

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?
Thank you everyone for your advice. I feel like I am back to square one though. My Kubota dealer does not want me to go above the bx 2350; he thinks anything higher would be a waste on that small of land. 15K is the very highest I want to go. Any of the real cool implements will have to wait til next year and when I am very comfortable with the tractor. There will be plenty to do on the property in the future.

Whatever I get, I think I will take your all advice and skip the belly mower for a little while. So I will get just the tractor and a bush hog.

More advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #13  
Well, we would have to hope that your Kubota dealer is much more familiar with your land, and your situation than we are. If you do go with the BX2350, or a similar machine, I would consider stepping down a size in Rotary Cutters to perhaps a 42", or 44". Those tractors have plenty of power to run the 48" cutters, but the weight, and size can be an issue back there, especially if you aren't an experienced operator. I do mow a bit over three acres every week with a 48" deck, so mowing less frequently than that certainly isn't a burden.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #14  
revdoggy said:
My Kubota dealer does not want me to go above the bx 2350; he thinks anything higher would be a waste on that small of land. 15K is the very highest I want to go.
I strongly disagree with your dealer.
A BX 2350 is way to small for 15 acres and you will be wishing you purchased bigger.
I use a 35 HP tractor on 15 acres and feel its just the right size.
I recommend closer to 30 HP minimum.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #15  
I totally agree w/ DK35 Vince, a bx2350 is way to small of a tractor for 15 acres. I have a Kubota 2620 for just under 5 acres. As others have suggested you will regret it and want to trade up to a bigger tractor once you get some expirence on it.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #16  
I like the others think that your dealer is recommending too small a tractor. If he (the Kabota dealer) is sure that is what you need ask him to loan you that size tractor with a 4' bush hog for a day to see how it works for you. That should help you make up your mind. If you find that the tractor is too small go to another dealer because the Kabota guy is steering you wrong now and will in the future.

I have 15 acres and I purchased a JD 5203 which is 56 HP. It is a great tractor for me but I do more than mow. I plow and disk as well.

Good luck and keep us informed.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?
Thank you everyone for your advice this has been great. Thank you also for taking the time to write. Got another question though?

I do have some steep hills - comparing the Kubota B and BX the BX sits lower to the ground - will that make it safer or does the size and weight of the tractor make it safer?

John

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #18  
I agree with the horsepower recommendations. I have a CK30HST (Kioti) and would not recommend less hp. Almost everyone is 4wd but don't be tempted at 2wd for less (I had one). Of the implements I have, rated most important to least. FEL, bush hog, finish mower, box blade, home made road resurfacer.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #19  
Sounds like the dealer is looking for you to come back to trade in the smaller tractor to a larger one later. That way he makes money twice.

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #20  
I do have some steep hills - comparing the Kubota B and BX the BX sits lower to the ground - will that make it safer or does the size and weight of the tractor make it safer?

Lower center of gravity and tractor width and length make a tractor more stable. I'm assuming you have an ATV. Things are much more stable on an ATV (because you can lean on them). You can probably ride hill 2 to 3 times as steep with an ATV. Filled tires help with stability, and setting the wheels are the widest setting.

Do you plan to store the tractor on the property or trailer it? If your planning on trailering it, consider the weight and length of the tractor in your hunt. The $15K budget could easily be blown if you have to buy a new trailer and truck to tow it. Also, you should look into the cost of insuring it. Your home owners may only cover the tractor if it is at your residence.