Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #41  
Hi everyone.

This is my first post but I have been reading for awhile. I decided to register to add my .02 to this topic.

The advice given so far is dead on. I wish 3 years ago I would have asked that question. I have 20 acres and mostly use the tractor to handle the hay for the horses.

My first tractor was a JD 790, bought for the same budget reasons as originally stated in the original question. I thought I could "get by" with it but every time I turned around I was wishing for something more.

2 years ago I purchased a JD 4320 with e-Hydro and the 400x loader. What a night and day difference. I can pick up a big square or round bale without holding my breath, I can hook onto the manure spreader full and take off.

My reccomendation is to figure out what you think you need then buy 1 size larger. Since you are just getting started it is difficult for you to anticipate what all of your future needs will be.

I hope this helps and I didn't ramble to much.

Todd

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE?
Thank you all for your advice. I purchased a Kubota 2620 and a 4' bush hog. I know that most all parts of the John Deere are manufactured out of the country but I still wanted to buy an "American" product. (This statement was not meant to start an argument) The Deere dealer would not budge an inch and the Kubota dealer did, so I went with Kubota. Oh well, I am very happy with the purchase, I just don't want to get that pretty orange dirty. Thank you again -

John

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #43  
Congrats!!! I too have a B2620 and love it. I feel you will too. I know what you mean about getting it dirty. I actually have cleaned mine more this summer than I have cleaned my car. Enjoy!!!!

/ Help with choosing tractor, implements NEWBIE? #44  
Great topic. We just settled on 7acres this morning so it's finally ours :D. Probably at least 6 of the 7 is open and will require routine mowing. The ground is a little rough, ruts from probably when they cleared it. Was first thinking of a BX2660 with MMM but after many hours reading here I have rethought that. The Kubota B2620 is at the top of my price range, if this is the tractor I decide on (still have to go look at the red and blue ones:) ) what size bush hog will fit on this one, four or five ft? The land is only 10 minutes away from where we live now and its in a small subdivision so won't be able to let it get very tall.