Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs

/ Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs
I'm renewing my old thread because one of the cylinders I repaired earlier blew out it's snap ring and now I'm stuck.

I took the cylinder in to a shop for repair. They say the groove that the snap ring sat in has worn away and needs to be rebuilt,.... $400.00!!! After coming too from my feinting spell,.... they said they are not having good luck finding a one for one replacement. I looked at Prince cylinders and they have one that seems to be the correct size, but now I have no idea if it will work, based on what the repair shop said.

A new cylinder from the good folks at JD,.....$530.00!!!!

Does anyone have a 70A loader for parts, any cylinders out there for sale? The JD part number is, AW28950 HYDRAULIC CYLINDER , BUCKET (ID = 44 MM (1-3/4")) (SUB FOR AM106177 OR AM118275),

Any help would be appreciated,

Phil

/ Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs #12  
I sell hydraulic equipment for a living, we manufacture and repair mining equipment. If you could give me the specs of the cylinder, I can tell you approx what a "QUALITY" repair should cost from your hydraulic repair shop.

I will state, HIGH QUALITY machine work is not cheap....

Hi Rollcenter,

The cylinder has a 24" stroke, the ID of it is 1 3/4", the operating pressure is 2150 psi.

Here is what I know about the problem;
The snap ring sits in a groove that is machined into the cylinder. I spoke to a local cylinder rebuilder who told me that this is a piss poor design for a hydraulic FEL. This is due to the repeated back and forth stress on that snap ring and it's groove, in addition the weight you lift puts a great deal of non-linear wear on the cylinders. Over time the groove degrades and allows the snap ring to slip free. The repair would be to add steel to the ID and remachine another groove into it.

I assume you know a great deal more about this and you may have some other ideas about how you might fix it. I only told you this to give you some background.

Hope it helps, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Phil

/ Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs #14  
The hydraulic shop is right, the packing gland being held in by a snap ring is not much of a setup.

If I were you, I would check here for a replacement cyl, a replacement new cyl would probably cost less than a QUALITY repair.

Bailey Hydraulic Cylinders Manufacturer

Thanks very much for your help. I will try these guys.

I have an appt with another local repair guy tomorrow. He is a friend of a friend and I wanted to know if he can add any new insights on the situation.

Phil

/ Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs #17  
Not to sidetrack the thread, but are the cylinders on the Model 70 loader the same as on the 70A?? Seems like they probably would be. I have a cylinder that has a pretty slow leak on it, but not so bad that I feel it needs to be repaired just yet. Just wondering if I might run into the same situation as the OP???

/ Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs #18  
Philgreen,

Just a note to show you a similar situation that a customer ran into recently.....This one from an older Hough Payloader....

The first photo was from a cyl that was repacked over & over & over & over (well you get the point).......it needed some TLC at the gland like yours.....

Once machinined/welded/remachined and honed, the seal/groove area was ready for repack with another fresh set of seals.....

Like Rollcenter said "HIGH QUALITY work is not cheap".......unfortunately some of my best work gets hidden inside the equipment I'm working on and sticker shock does happen when repairing worn out/rusted equipment...

Hopefully your other local repair guy is a good welder and machinist.....

Attachments

• spring2007 077.jpg
    spring2007 077.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 328
  • spring2007 079.jpg
    spring2007 079.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 563
  • spring2007 081.jpg
    spring2007 081.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 1,207
   / Help with Hydraulic Cylinder Repairs #19  
Here's the same cyl barrel.....

Attachments

• spring2007 083.jpg
    spring2007 083.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 383
  • spring2007 084.jpg
    spring2007 084.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 1,066
I stopped by the other hydraulic repair guy today. He thought the best way to make a repair to the cylinder would be to cut off the actual cylinder barrel with the bad groove and weld in a new one. He estimated about $300 in materials alone, adding in labor makes this route as pricey as my other hydraulic estimate.

He is going to see if anything is close on the replacement market. I looked at Bailey's and they have a couple that might work.

Kebo,

The 70 loader goes on the 650/755 tractors series, the 70A is for the 855/955. The reason for this is because the frame size on 855/955 is larger than the 650/755. Having said that I checked the part numbers on the JD website, and the do used the same cylinders.

Lunker,

Thanks I will check it out.

wdchyd,

Thanks for the great info, I agree with your thoughts on quality and price. It looks like you do great work.

Phil