Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #11  
Love my Reiser. They are an Ohio company.

WP_20170503_23_07_29_Pro.jpg

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #12  
That 10-12k is with a weight distribution hitch though. Never see an equipment trailer with weight distribution hitch.

IMO if you get a trailer over 7k your going to need a bigger truck to handle is safely.

Agreed and that can't be done. The tractor weighs 3700 pounds. No weight posted on the loader, but it's probably 1500 pounds. The bush hog and ballast is 1800 pounds. Then you've got the weight of the trailer. I'm guessing the weight of this package is around 10,500 and that's putting the trailer at a conservative 3500 pounds.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #13  
Probably a little different opinion than most, but if I were you I would get a deckover and skip the fenders, they are almost always in the way for a big portion of the things that I want or need to do , I find myself almost always hooking up to my 30' gooseneck flatbed even when my 20' equipment trailer would be plenty long enough for some projects, but those fenders...............

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #14  
Probably a little different opinion than most, but if I were you I would get a deckover and skip the fenders, they are almost always in the way for a big portion of the things that I want or need to do , I find myself almost always hooking up to my 30' gooseneck flatbed even when my 20' equipment trailer would be plenty long enough for some projects, but those fenders...............

I much prefer deck over trailers. If you're only hauling the tractor it doesn't matter, but a deck over is much better for side loading anything.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #15  
My buddy bought an 18ft Sure-Trac 10k equipment trailer from Distinctive Trucks in Carroll Ohio last year. I wana say he paid around $3000 for the trailer.

I borrow his trailer when I need to haul bigger stuff, it’s a good trailer and I like it other than it rides like a mule unloaded, you deff will know it’s behind the truck. Trailer empty is 2,750lbs

IMG_9234.JPGIMG_6877.JPGIMG_8402.JPGIMG_0031.JPG

As far as trucks go, I am in the process of selling my 1/2 ton and I bought a F350 flatbed. My 1981 1/2 ton could only do 6k safely, my F350 is good for 10k.

A newer (2018) F150 is rated to pull 13,200lbs, so it all depends on your GVWR and what your truck is equipped with as far as break controller, receiver hitch etc, anything over 10k is class 5, my F350 has a class 4 on it, so I won’t be going over 10k or 1500lb tongue.

My tractor (05 JD 4320) with the loader (pallet forks sticking off the front of the trailer 2ft) had less than 4ft to the gates. With a bush hog I would have needed a longer trailer, 20-22ft. I could only do a 10k trailer.

Keep in mind the GVWR of the truck plus the GVWR of the trailer can’t exceed more than 26,001lbs or you need a class A license.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio.
Sounds like if I get a new 1/2T next year, chances are pretty good that it wouldn't pull the weight - i.e. safely

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #17  
I much prefer deck over trailers. If you're only hauling the tractor it doesn't matter, but a deck over is much better for side loading anything.
My 20' equipment trailer works fine hauling my small tractor, but like you said side loading can be a pain, just this past weekend I went to get a load of 6x6's and 2x8's I took my deckover gooseneck because it gives you so much flexability on how to load it verses having to load it way forward on the equipment trailer and it being tongue heavy, the way I loaded the gooseneck it will allow me to load my small tractor and carry it along with all the lumber and post when I make the 100 mile trip over to my hunting camp next weekend.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #18  
Sounds like if I get a new 1/2T next year, chances are pretty good that it wouldn't pull the weight - i.e. safely

Just using 4570's estimated weight of 10,500 including trailer most modern 1/2T trucks are very capable to tow that weight as they have tow ratings in the 12-13K range. For the occasional use you mentioned a 1/2T would be fine. If you were to require daily hauling the I'd recommend a 3/4T or larger.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #19  
My buddy bought an 18ft Sure-Trac 10k equipment trailer from Distinctive Trucks in Carroll Ohio last year. I wana say he paid around $3000 for the trailer.

I borrow his trailer when I need to haul bigger stuff, it’s a good trailer and I like it other than it rides like a mule unloaded, you deff will know it’s behind the truck. Trailer empty is 2,750lbs

View attachment 541672View attachment 541673View attachment 541675View attachment 541677

As far as trucks go, I am in the process of selling my 1/2 ton and I bought a F350 flatbed. My 1981 1/2 ton could only do 6k safely, my F350 is good for 10k.

A newer (2018) F150 is rated to pull 13,200lbs, so it all depends on your GVWR and what your truck is equipped with as far as break controller, receiver hitch etc, anything over 10k is class 5, my F350 has a class 4 on it, so I won’t be going over 10k or 1500lb tongue.

My tractor (05 JD 4320) with the loader (pallet forks sticking off the front of the trailer 2ft) had less than 4ft to the gates. With a bush hog I would have needed a longer trailer, 20-22ft. I could only do a 10k trailer.

Keep in mind the GVWR of the truck plus the GVWR of the trailer can’t exceed more than 26,001lbs or you need a class A license.

"e-trailer.com" sells a class IV hitch that is rated for 1200 lb.hitch load, and 12K tow weight, using a weight distribution hitch.
I have one, and use it with an Equal-i-zer hitch, with GVW exactly at 12K.
Works great!