Hi Amp wire connections

/ Hi Amp wire connections #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, I just bought a winch. I plan on mounting it on a "2 inch hitch" platform so I can put it on the rear of my truck AND on the rear of the tractor if needed.
The manual says it has #6 guage wire to battery and draws a fair amount of current. I want to run wire (#6 or #5) to the rear of my vehicles then to ....connections?, plugs? something that can be connected and disconnected with ease and is covered so as not to be a spark target.Anyone know of a product here? I can envision plug in jacks like stereos used to use....but they are small and would not carry current.:confused3::anyone:

/ Hi Amp wire connections #2  
   / Hi Amp wire connections #3  
Yup, you won't find anything better than the Anderson's.

/ Hi Amp wire connections #4  
i have a winch on my truck, and i use a standard winch quick disconnect. heres a set from ebay
ELECTRIC WINCH QUICK CONNECT / DISCONNECT PLUG | eBay

but you can get them from NAPA, JC Whitneys, any offroad shop, etc.

for long runs to a strong winch, youll need more than #6 wire...more like #2 copper wire. very high amp draw on a winch, especially under load.

What i did with mine, i ran the winch wires to a continuous duty contactor (relay) that is controlled by a lighted switch in the cab of the truck. that way the winch cables are dead unless the switch is thrown. No spark that way :laughing:.

the contactor only runs about $20, and protects the cables.

/ Hi Amp wire connections #5  
i have a winch on my truck, and i use a standard winch quick disconnect. heres a set from ebay
ELECTRIC WINCH QUICK CONNECT / DISCONNECT PLUG | eBay

but you can get them from NAPA, JC Whitneys, any offroad shop, etc.

for long runs to a strong winch, youll need more than #6 wire...more like #2 copper wire. very high amp draw on a winch, especially under load.

What i did with mine, i ran the winch wires to a continuous duty contactor (relay) that is controlled by a lighted switch in the cab of the truck. that way the winch cables are dead unless the switch is thrown. No spark that way :laughing:.

the contactor only runs about $20, and protects the cables.

I would have to agree, after seen those connectors, by the way they look like anderson powerpoles with dust covers, and the relay is a good idea also.

James K0UA

/ Hi Amp wire connections #6  
Find a forklift company and buy the SB175 connector for the vehicle and the winch they will plug together and are rated at 175amps...You could possibbly
get away with the SB50 wich is 50 amps but I used SB175 on my jeep so I could use the wich front or rear on a 2" reciever!! And I did use 2ga. welding wire which is way more flexible than a normal 2ga wire such as just battery cable!! :thumbsup:

/ Hi Amp wire connections
:ashamed:I feel like a "doof" even asking this but....I looked at the SB175 connectors and see wire holes going in and...they don't show the other end. How do it connect to the other connector? Is one end slightly smaller to give the "male-female"connector? For that matter how do the wires attach into the connector? duh...
And...I also found the "welding wire" (GREAT IDEA) and it shows #1 wire good to 190 Amps....if the connector is only good to 175 Amps do I really need #2 wire (good to 220 amps)??? Or maybe because from front end battery to rear end winch will lose alot of capacity? Sorry to be so dense...:mad:

/ Hi Amp wire connections #8  
:ashamed:I feel like a "doof" even asking this but....I looked at the SB175 connectors and see wire holes going in and...they don't show the other end. How do it connect to the other connector? Is one end slightly smaller to give the "male-female"connector? For that matter how do the wires attach into the connector? duh...
And...I also found the "welding wire" (GREAT IDEA) and it shows #1 wire good to 190 Amps....if the connector is only good to 175 Amps do I really need #2 wire (good to 220 amps)??? Or maybe because from front end battery to rear end winch will lose alot of capacity? Sorry to be so dense...:mad:

kinda hard to decribe but they are flat and when you plug them together they
lock over each other you can crimp the cable in or I prefer to fill the end with solder and push the cable into it!! the lower the number the bigger the cable diameter wise I am not fimiliar with #1 ga. but use #2ga all the time?? Oh and make sure when you buy the connectors they are all the same color they are made to not interchange so when you have different voltages you use a different color to keep from frying things!!

/ Hi Amp wire connections #9  
Here's a picture that shows the tips !!

Attachments

• SY6325G1.gif
    SY6325G1.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 89
   / Hi Amp wire connections #10  
the problem with 12 volt systems is the need for high amperage. a 1000 watt load on 120 volt system only requires a 8.33 amp load

a 1000 watt load on a 12 volt system will require wire that can handle 83.8 amp load.

same load but 10 times the amperage. almost all winch wiring (Wern winches, etc) will have #2 or larger wires due to this reason.

the plug ends have a male and female ends, and can only be plugged together one way. the wires solder in, very easy to assemble.

if the wire isnt large enough to handle the load (amperage) you will have alot of voltage drop from front to rear, and possibly melt down the wires themselves. My wires are 25' long and run from under hood to rear strapped onto frame of truck. not cheap to buy these wires either. Wern sells a set that about 250.00 or so.

heres a set on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WARN...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

its that darn copper wire thats the killer.