Hi Amp wire connections

/ Hi Amp wire connections #11  
Take a look at the plate on your winch. It should list the maximum amperage the winch will draw, let's say 150 amps. Decide where you are going to locate the unit and measure the round trip length ( if it's 5' from the battery then you will have a 10' circuit, power out and back. Take those numbers and plug them into this chart,
(http://www.crcorp.com/DCT_HardwareEssentials/E/pdf/E11.pdf)
This will give you the proper wire size for your application. Then you match the connectors to the wire size.

Hope this helps
Mike.

I'm a certified marine electronics tech.

/ Hi Amp wire connections
This is what messed me up in the guage size....
[/FO
Welding Cable #6 wire guage /30 amps 75
Welding Cable #4 " " /30 amps 100
Welding Cable #2 " " /30 amps 140
Welding Cable #1 " " /30 amps 160

But here comes 1/0 ?????

Welding Cable 1/0 wire size /30 amps 190
Welding Cable 2/0 " " /30 amps 223
(this is where I got that...http://wesbellwireandcable.com/Welding.html)

Don't know what the "ought" did but it reversed the size vs. amp capacity....more to confuse me:laughing:
One more question about the connectors....You said that you like to put solder into the connector and push the wires in......how do he do that?
IS the connector metal inside and the housing in the photos plastic? Can the metal part come out to solder....cause it would melt a plastic housing...
Lots of questions, I know...sorry....I am, really...:D

/ Hi Amp wire connections #13  
[/FO

But here comes 1/0 ?????

Don't know what the "ought" did but it reversed the size vs. amp capacity....more to confuse me:laughing:
One more question about the connectors....You said that you like to put solder into the connector and push the wires in......how do he do that?
IS the connector metal inside and the houseing in the photos plastic? Can the metal part come out to solder....cause it would melt a plastic housing...

the metal legs pop out of the plastic housings. then you solder them . after they cool, you pop them back in and they lock under a tab.
1/0 is smaller then 2/0, which is smaller then 3/0 etc

Attachments

• Wire-Gauge-Chart.jpg
    Wire-Gauge-Chart.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,727
   / Hi Amp wire connections #14  
1/0 is 0 Awg
2/0 Is 00 Awg
3/0 is 000 Awg

/ Hi Amp wire connections #15  
[/FO

But here comes 1/0 ?????

(this is where I got that...Welding Cable, Flexible Copper Cable, Rubber power cable, Copper wire Suppliers)

IS the connector metal inside and the housing in the photos plastic? Can the metal part come out to solder....cause it would melt a plastic housing...

All the #1,#2,#4,#6 and so forth are smaller than the 1/0,2/0,3/0.4/0 cables
all the ?/0 IMHO would be way to big for what you are doing we use these on
36,48,72 volt forklifts and are way to big for 12v!! Oh and if you are going to run cable any length along the chassis make sure it is either fused with a fuse or circuit breake at the "START" of the run so if you get a short in the line it will not burn along the frame!!

/ Hi Amp wire connections
Thanks guys....The tractor is in Va. but I think if I order 20' it should get from the battery, down the frame and up to....somewhere where I can secure it.
BTW, since the tractor frame is steel and the battery grounds to the frame.....can I just run a red POS cable the whole way and ground at the REAR of the tractor saving alot of wire (and cost)?:confused2:

/ Hi Amp wire connections #17  
Yes you can.
Make sure you add a fuse close to the battery on the pos side.

Make sure you don't undersize the wire, it will act like a resistor and the winch will underperform.

/ Hi Amp wire connections #18  
B7510HSD said:
All the #1,#2,#4,#6 and so forth are smaller than the 1/0,2/0,3/0.4/0 cables
all the ?/0 IMHO would be way to big for what you are doing we use these on
36,48,72 volt forklifts and are way to big for 12v!! Oh and if you are going to run cable any length along the chassis make sure it is either fused with a fuse or circuit breake at the "START" of the run so if you get a short in the line it will not burn along the frame!!

The higher the voltage the less demand on wire size. A 12 volt circuit will always require much larger wire than 24, 48, 72 etc.......

/ Hi Amp wire connections #19  
The higher the voltage the less demand on wire size. A 12 volt circuit will always require much larger wire than 24, 48, 72 etc.......
hmmmm so I can start useing 12ga wire from my 48v batteries to power our forklifts?? :confused:

/ Hi Amp wire connections #20  
hmmmm so I can start useing 12ga wire from my 48v batteries to power our forklifts?? :confused:

What he meant was for a given amount of power delivered, the higher the voltage the smaller guage of wire needed to deliver that power.
Ohms Law E=IR P=EI

So for instance if you had a power load of say 100 watts, lets use an incandescent light bulb for simplicity. Now lets run that bulb on 1 Volts (obviously the bulb must be designed to run on 1 Volts) . So the load is 100 watts the voltage is 1 volts and the current (I) is 100 amps and the suitable wire size for a short run (lets say 10 feet) of wire could be something like #4 or maybe even need #2. and longer runs would need much larger wire. But at 100 volts the current would 1 amp, to power the 100 watt load (again the lamp would need to be designed to run on 100 volts) and the wire size could be as small as #24 gauge for a short run. and maybe 16 gauge for even 100 foot run. These are extreme examples, and your fork truck with 48 volt batteries uses pretty good sized wire because the loads are very large. but if you battery was 12 volt then the current would be 4 times larger for a given load, and the wire would have to be bigger to safely carry that extra current without overheating. Ok enough of the EE 101 class. now back to your regular programming.

James K0UA