high output Alternator

/ high output Alternator #11  
I have a JD2305 and would like more charging capacity. Has anyone found an aftermarket alternator that provides higher output that will work? I am trying to avoid the JD kit for $600.
If you have a mid-pto, you can run one direct at a fast rpm. Some Ford (diesel) trucks have them as an option. Junk yard ?

/ high output Alternator #12  
The wiring that's carrying the bigger load should be upgraded too, or the wires will degrade.

You don't want that problem!

SR

/ high output Alternator
I plan to upgrade wiring

/ high output Alternator #14  
I guess as electronic tech I think outside the box sometimes. How about a higher capacity battery? Or, an isolation diode and second battery just for the cab & lights/fan?
That battery could also be trickle charged when tractor is parked.
Before I did anything though I would disconnect battery, either + or --, then series an ammeter. Jumper ammeter to start motor
(High current jumper!!!) then remove jumper.
Better yet simply an inductive DC meter like
Fluke 362. Then try various things...lights with fan, etc. Compare that to alternator output.
You could actually get an idea just with a voltmeter across battery, not as good as ammeter, but say it's 12.6v...start tractor & now it's 14.2v...turn everything on and it's 12.9v you know battery is still being charged.
If tractor is going to be used a LOT running fan, lights, etc. maybe then I'd consider a higher output alternator.
I like going from simple to complicated since as others said wiring should be upgraded also.

/ high output Alternator
Fuddy, I too work in the electronics field as a I&C tech so I get what your saying. I ordered the Hitachi alternator less then $60 so even with wiring upgrade I will be in for less then $100. Pretty cheap compared to the JD high output alternator and to me seems much simpler then second battery install due to room.

/ high output Alternator #16  
I missed the part you ordered the alternator.

/ high output Alternator #17  
I found a post on another forum where a guy replaced his John Deere alternator with one made by Hitachi but the post didnt list a model number. I am currently at work and cant get measurements but if anyone has the bolt hole to bolt hole dimension on the OEM John deere alternator it would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Hitachi/Denso/Mitsubishi higher output alternators are used on the YANMAR machines with the same engine series as your Deere with the Yanmar engine.

You would need to look at a few of the on-line Yanmar parts manuals for a Yanmar 3TNV76 or 3TNV80 or 3TNV74 or 3TNV78 or 3TNV88 and determine the fit up to upgrade. And the same automotive alternators are used. There really isn't an Ag alternator so to say. You can pay the Ag price of a few hundred or automotive of $59 to $89 with $15 core.

/ high output Alternator
The one I ordered fits a 1987 Isuzu Trooper. 50 amp with an internal regulator.

/ high output Alternator
Turns out the Isuzu alternator is too big to fit. Did some additional troubleshooting of the old system and found the K5 safety relay not working properly. This prevented the original system from charging. I swapped relays and now it seems to be working ok

/ high output Alternator
I don’t really understand what the K5 relay has to do with the charge circuit but it is connected to the regulator. That is the reason I checked it.