Home heating fuel /Tractor ?

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #21  
Ken, I would be interested in knowing what States use ulsd or lsd as heating oil.

Part of the comments on the VW TDI are incorrect, having owned three prior to the intro of ulsd I can assure you that this engine, original 90hp single pumper, was not designed to operated exclusively on ulsd, lsd or VW never would have introduced it into the US market.

These engines were three of the best diesels I have owned-never less than 57 mpg, US, and 62 mpg was quite common, this on good ole fashioned high sulfur US diesel.

And, I have heard, from a very reliable source, that the '98 Passat TDI could routinely return 70+ US mpg

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #23  
It is so hard trying to find a date base I believe NY,NJ CT NH CA OR WA are LSD.Trying to find spec's on HHO #1diesel,#2 diesel and K1 brings all searches to ASTM manuals and there $45 each when I search for sulphur content HHO is measured 3/10 of 1% sulphur, when the measure diesel it's PPM.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ?
Ken
It sounds like you know about fuel, and thanks for your time. Where I have a 08 if I understand you, your saying that by running #2 or #1 HHO in it that it's not that good for it ? I'm a new tractor owner and would not want to take a chance of ruining the motor, just to save a few buck at the pump.
What do you use in your tractor for fuel?

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #25  
You will be OK, the older tractors pre LSD ULSD should add PS or whatever to lube the pump.

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #28  
My two-year old tractor has a Tier II engine -- 2007 engine year model and EPA compliant (FWIW).

The OM on the tractor in the section on fuel states to use 15ppm diesel (ULSD) or up to 500ppm diesel fuel (LSD).

IF HHO is greater that 500ppm on the sulphur content, it will NOT be used in my *NEW* tractor.

Unfortunately, the '64 IH 424 diesel needs the lubricity -- which is being removed from the fuel.

My brother has already had to replace one of the original injectors on the '64 IH 424D because "he had just been running the diesel fuel he was buying from the truck stop down the road." Have since given him bottles of the stuff to add some lubricity back to the fuel.

I don't think the "government" has thought this out to much; I think all us farmers ought to park ALL our equipment for about a month and see what happens ....

Joe

/ Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #29  
Ken, no distributor-terminal- in New England markets ultra low or low sulfur home heating oil, no distributor in the Northeast markets ultra low or low sulfur home heating oil-segregating regular heating fuel from any other would be a logistical nightmare; ;on a bulk level that is.

Some of the States have mandated a minimum blend of bio in home heating oil but every one has postponed the introduction until the interactive problems have been resolved.

For anyone considering using home heating oil in their engine, just remember that the sulfur level currently is at least 0.2%.

Should anyone be interested in the FACTS on oil heat go here:

http:www.oilheating.com/

Should you have a problem with your oil heating system, or heating problem in general the place to go is here:

http://firedragonent.com/

Click on 'Dragon Talk', you cannot post but you can read.

The owner of this site is acknowledged to be the foremost authority on oil heating.

Anyone can of course pm me with residential heating/ac questions, if I cannot help you I have friends that can.

Last edited:
   / Home heating fuel /Tractor ? #30  
Not making any claims to know the correct answer, but when I was in the market for new truck, I started reading all I could on the diesel truck sites. Ulsd was just coming out along with the DPF system, and all the horror stories about running anything but ULSD in the new trucks. I got a 6.7 Cummins.

Well the point is some of what I read on those sites from supposedly people in the know, was that sulphur didn't have as much to do with lubricity as everyone was making out. The ULSD did wreak havoc on some older equipment when first introduced to them, but was mostly to do with the way the seals reacted to it.

Don't know how valid this is but I have not heard of mechanical seizures due to the entire country running ULSD over the road now, if it was as bad as thought of You'd think there'd be trucks broke down all over the place.

Also there were looong threads on what if any additives should used, the one that stands out is the use of non detergent 2 stroke oil for the older equipment, some very strong proponents of that.

JB.